Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MT GARNOCK  (Read 1090 times)

vchiu

• Shipmate
  • 1/50 - 1/48 scale models
    • Model Yacht Club de Paris
MT GARNOCK
« on: May 10, 2022, 10:14:04 pm »

Hello Everybody

About 15 years ago, i bought a kit of the Caldercraft Garnock.
Living in China, I brought it there with the intent of building it.  Before I started it, the box disappeared in a blaze that occured in the place it was stored.
Long story short, I started to look for another kit or a finished one.

2 years ago, my searches brought me to a second hand Garnock sold by a retailer based in Oxfordhire. It looked acceptable on the pictures. I  managed to have it shipped over to
my place, with the hope of commissioning it quickly.

What I received was this

inside the hull was some kind of a hard substance under which water had stagnated for a bit too long

A MFA 385 class motor on a very rusty mount was driving a questionably positioned propeller in a Kort nozzle

Long time water ingress had reduced wooden parts to sorry shambles.

These parts will at least be useful when lighting up the barbecue.

Expressing my dissatisfaction to the shop, they agreed to a partial refund. I then found myself with a model on which much had to be made.

The reason for the water build-up was simple. The decks were not watertight at all. Any single drop of water would immediately find its way into the hull.
Shall the model capsize, it would immediately sink to the bottom of the pond. I suspect these may have occured more than once.

A full rebuild of the hull  was in order.
To be followed...

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MT GARNOCK
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 10:32:52 pm »

Well, what a sorry looking mess you got there Vchiu. However, we do like to watch these things being brought back from the brink so, I'll look in as you progress and hope all goes well for you.

Ray.

vchiu

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 09:37:25 pm »

Thank you for your kind words , Ray

I started to remove every single remaining piece of wood from  the hull

The side Bulwarks were too high, especially in the back. I had to re-cut them

I removed the rudder and propeller shaft.

Then I sanded inside the hull in order to clean any  remaining traces of glue and dirt  that were to be  found everywhere

[size=78%][/size][size=78%][/size]

I installed a new propeller shaft with a lubricating tube.  Instead of a coupling, I set a Graupner Multispeed 2:1 gearbox with a 380 class motor running in 12V.

I removed the white metal structure that was not very well affixed to the hull.  I also used some PS tube in order to accomodate the new propeller shaft exit.

A new deck made from 1,5 mm Styrene sheet  replaced the older damaged one.  I simply used the old one as a template.

Openings were recut and designed with water tightness in mind.

The rudder mechanism allowed for only 1,5 cm of freebord, which means water could very well enter the hull this way.
I decided to build a separate case for the rudder that would totally be independant from the rest of the hull, thus en uring water tightness.

To be followed.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 09:59:05 pm »

Looking good so far Vchiu, is the outer hull paint reasonable for touching in or will you be stripping it back to bare hull?

Ray.

vchiu

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 08:13:46 pm »

Thank you  Ray,
The existing paint was hard to remove so I decided to paint  over after a light sanding.

I reinstalled the Kort nozzle, repositioning its support frame so that the propeller be at the center of it
The hull was a bit depressed on one side of the poop. I glued a sheet of PS to fill the missing thickness.

The keel, formed by the junctions of the 2 half hulls was too deep. I shortened it to make it look more up to scale.

After rudder and motor were installed, I temporarily put a speed controller, a battery and a receiver to perform tests before glueing the deck. I did not want  to discover leaks
after the deck would be installed.

Tests went well so I could install the deck.

I took the opportunity to install bulwark stays.

As well as  a few other details like hawse pipes

Water scoops and bollards

Here is the hull after sanding and before primer.

To be followed

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 09:51:07 pm »

Hi Vchiu, you've made a very good job of the kort and it's support - I like it!

Looking forward to seeing your progress with the hull paint job.

Ray.

vchiu

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 12:35:31 pm »

Thank you for your kind comment, Ray

Here are pictures of the work proceeding with Paint.  All was done with spray, with transparent satin varnish as a finishing touch.
The paint scheme does not match the Garnock as it is today, as I just made use of whatever paint stock I had on hand.   

Deck details added

Regarding the superstructure, the lazy bum I am  decided to keep work to a minimum.
For this reason, I only installed navigation lights in place of the dummy ones

I did the minimum though, with 2 white mastlights one rear and one left+Right red/green .

The original Boat stand was horrible.  I made a new one cutting 1 cm thick plywood

A  few pictures of the complete model

TBC

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 01:36:24 pm »

Nice paint job Vchiu and the superstructure looks fine to me.

Aye,
Ray.

vchiu

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 09:14:10 pm »

Thank you for the kind comment Ray

Superstructure looks ok from afar but a closer inspection won't do it a favor , I'm afraid.

Here are a few pictures of some trials, on my pond, and some more of my first outing

After a few hours of sailing, I saw that I had little control over the kort nozzle. the steering rod went free and would not turn the kort tube anymore.
I had to take it down.

I took out the older steel rod, drilled all the way through the metal and threaded the hole.
As the white metal is soft,  a thread would not be enough to ensure a strong enough connection, so I reinforced
with araldite and I added an extra nut.

Now everything works very well

Here it is  during a recent sailing with fenders and name added

We also lent  our models   to children during outings so that they have an idea of what model boating is.
I am happy to report that this model could work a full day (10:00 to 17:00)  at flank speed on the same battery. All this with a very rough handling by small hands.

I hope this thread interested you. Should you have any question, don't hesitate to ask.
The next thread will deal with a somewhat bigger model.

Thank you for your interest.
Warm regards from Paris

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 09:28:13 pm »

Those final photos of her on the water look good Vchiu. Full credit for your ability to deal with the various problems you overcame and ended up with a viable model.

Looking out for your next build.

Aye,
Ray.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.