Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dean Marine  (Read 2792 times)

Markjames1968

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Dean Marine
« on: May 11, 2022, 11:11:52 am »

Please take complaints direct with manufacture First.

Please see: https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2186.msg508217.html#msg508217

Admin

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Deanmarine very poor value
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 11:59:31 am »

Hi obviously you have problem with the kit you have purchased. Most model builders over the years will have had problems at some time with kits and yes you have the right to complain about any issues with the kit. I see things this way you have a problem surely you need to contact the manufacture and allow them to correct any issues. The idea of a forum from my point of view is to promote our hobby of model building complaining on this site will not correct any issues you have with a kit supplier. I recently purchased a model costing £500 this had problems but with help of the supplier problems were resolved. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))   

Markjames1968

• Shipmate
Re: Dean Marine
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 12:37:27 pm »

I spoke to them about all issues, they believe their resin fittings are great,… and that they are right about everything

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 04:53:16 pm »

I can say that I have always had the opposite experience with Deans Marine- I’ve found that they will replace any part that is beyond use. I fear that most new-ish model boaters expect a shake and bake kit similar to the aircraft kit manufacturer Tamiya. I have built many Deans Marine kits over the years (in fact my first model boat kit was from Deans Marine) and yes sometimes you have to file some excess resin off or reshape to your own liking but never to the point of complaining that it was completely unusable. Ron is a very approachable person and has in my case always been helpful and a font of knowledge.
The fittings in this picture of HMS Dreadnought are entirely from Deans Marine including the gun turrets:
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 08:05:12 pm »

I can confirm Nick‘s statement. I have built several Deans Marine kits and experienced their excellent customer service when I needed help.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 11:23:04 pm »

I was about to type much the same as Nick, but he's said it better than I would, I've loved my Dean's models. It's probably worth remembering that we're modelers, we change, adjust, modify and actually work on the kit, not just assemble parts.
Charles

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 12:29:52 pm »

Due to way resin castings are made, they can never compete with 3D printing but with a bit of old time model making can be improved.

Regards Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Markjames1968

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 10:42:11 am »

Im a modelmaker of many years and pretty dam good at it

Cant be bothered wasting time adding images but i have a few youtube videos here

I cant be bothered wasting time looking at your videos
Bob
So you can see im not a kit assembler but a modelmaker

I challenge Deans or anyone to post images of deans resin castings BEFORE  clean up then maybe on their boat, torpedo launchers, directors, doors, gun mount, paravanes capstans .

Their vacform aircraft, walrus,…. Try that, find one that isn't a Short mould that wasn't rushed, or the vac boat tops that haven't pulled over the mould  properly due to lack of heat or too much speed,

Their quality on plastic and resin is awful, there is no argument, their  white metal fittings are entirely average and useable their hulls are ok, just, but compare them to fleetscale who for the same hull are cheaper…
And why in 30 odd years of business have they not moved from the terrible brittle polyester resin that is the cause of many issues to a good quality 2 part g45 or similar?

The model boat community seems happy to accept substandard quality for some reason,

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 04:11:57 pm »

im not a kit assembler but a modelmaker

But you bought a kit ??????   {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Markjames1968

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 05:18:37 pm »

I didnt know, till i had bought it……

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 05:27:32 pm »

Hi Markjames  please could you tell us which kit did you buy?

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 06:44:36 pm »

I didnt know, till i had bought it……
Humm "Deans Marine Model Kits" not a clue
Steamed up all the time

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 10:09:38 pm »

Well Mr James, you've set out your position, I think it's time to back up your claims. You're braver than me, after only 60 years building models, I certainly am not yet -pretty dam good at it-. I would reserve that title for a select few like the late Brian king. Perhaps you can show us some of your work, I like to learn from a master craftsman.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 10:29:51 pm »

I can't speak for the latest kits but I have certainly experienced problems with earlier ones when reviewing them for Model Boats magazine. Some problems with quality control.  Some scratch building skills came in useful too.

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 11:58:06 pm »

While I heartily detest polyester resin, at least Deans do not cut it with mineral fillers making the castings slightly matt, and even more brittle.

The model boat industry does seem to have evolved much closer to traditional modelling/semi scratch building skills than plastic kits, though many of these are not easy build by any means. Some companies products require much fettling and filling to get a decent finished model, and likewise scratch detailing to get a good looking model, hence the growth of the aftermarket industry.

I do not excuse a kit to make kits that are difficult to complete, but even a simple model boat is a much greater challenge than a plastic  Spitfire or Tiger tank model. With model boat kits you have to go back to basics. Study the model kit, study references of the real thing, check the instructions, ask the manufacturer questions about kit specifics and prepare each process before committing to tools or glue.

They should be much easier to build, but they are not so decide on if your skills are up to a challenging project (no less than scratch building in some ways due to number of parts and size of model) and proceed in a measured manner.
Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2022, 05:11:45 pm »

I challenge Deans or anyone to post images of deans resin castings BEFORE  clean up then maybe on their boat, torpedo launchers, directors, doors, gun mount, paravanes capstans .

Just looking through my photos ....

... the bearded gnome is particularly lifelike!   ok2

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Markjames1968

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2022, 11:41:04 pm »

All photos at distance, you cant tell a jot from them, pointless, do some closeups,

Markjames1968

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2022, 11:44:28 pm »

Chas, pm me your email, ill send you pics of my work, you have my permission to share them here

Markjames1968

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2022, 11:59:39 pm »

I was about to type much the same as Nick, but he's said it better than I would, I've loved my Dean's models. It's probably worth remembering that we're modelers, we change, adjust, modify and actually work on the kit, not just assemble parts.
Charles
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1MpgqzqrgGF45ZsV9

Markjames1968

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2022, 12:01:26 am »

Well Mr James, you've set out your position, I think it's time to back up your claims. You're braver than me, after only 60 years building models, I certainly am not yet -pretty dam good at it-. I would reserve that title for a select few like the late Brian king. Perhaps you can show us some of your work, I like to learn from a master craftsman.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1MpgqzqrgGF45ZsV9

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2022, 01:07:18 am »

All photos at distance, you cant tell a jot from them, pointless, do some closeups,

Click any photo, then click again to super enlarge..... sigh.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2022, 08:22:56 am »

I may be wrong but after studying the pictures of the Belfast there appears to be many fittings from the Deans Marine fittings selection which look very good  on the completed model. I also maybe wrong but the hull looks suspiciously like a Deans Marine GRP hull of HMS Belfast from their Mouldeans range. Now I saw this model for sale on Facebook saying it was scratch built by yourself but that implies you built everything yourself from scratch like Dave Wooley or Brian King would. Now I’d like you to be honest about how much of that model was actually built from scratch and what you actually bought. I’ll give you that you can paint a decent finish on the model but saying that you are a master modeller implies that you are better than the rest of us so instead of moaning about something which you are clearly in the minority about I suggest that you eat a piece of humble pie and move on.
Your attitude is terrible and if that’s how you approached Ron when you contacted him I can see why Ron wasn’t very responsive to you.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2022, 08:39:15 am »

As a semi professional modeller, I have been happy to use Deans parts on models such as my HMS Ready along with parts by John Haynes. I do not like polyester resin as it is brittle, but if a bottom line has to be reached then fair dos. A modelmaker would look at the parts and maybe decide to make his own or convert other parts as is their skill to do so.

Few model boat kits fit like a Tamiya kit. This is a shame, but that is the industry. If you want 'better' then design and market your own kit range. Your existing competitors have several decades headstart and large ranges.
Pond weed is your enemy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2022, 02:33:43 pm »

***Topic locked for now***
Everything has already been said really. Ultimately this is a dispute between a trader and an unhappy customer.
Please do not attempt to resurrect this topic in a new thread.

TT
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.