Mess Deck: General Section > Full Scale Ships

Hydrogen fuel at sea.

<< < (3/3)

warspite:
my only recollection of hydrogen peroxide, was related to torpedo's or a similar fuel that was used for the providing air to generate the power for the torpedo's running, was it not the reason for the Kursk going down?

RST:
I used to work with a few Comex guys that did the record depth hydrox saturation diving team back decades ago (LSS, Dive Supervisors etc, not the Divers)  I shudder to think what it was like keeping a mix of hydrogen and oxygen in storage was like.  But that was old days.  Fuel cells are a different animal entirely.

dodes:
Talking of torpedo fuel, remember once on RMAS Arrochar loading drums of a torpedo fuel sealed in a thick plastic lined steel drums which were sealed in plastic about 1987. The fuel encased like that because it was very carcinogenic it was loaded with a special team with special sensors. Turns out a new weapon was coming in service and i went round the various Armament Depots collecting it before it went to one for special disposal, after we discharged it it still left trace readings in the hold, only thing I knew it was orange in colour. But yes remember in the late 1970's/early 1980's aerial / ship launched short torpedoes were primed by men in ABC suits with breathing sets. Mind you some of the stuff mixed into aircraft fuel and engine fuel have some nasty chemicals put in, know that from my garden, a leaked trail of oil killed my plants out right and you could see a line of dead plants over several gardens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version