Mess Deck: General Section > Full Scale Ships

Hydrogen fuel at sea.

<< < (2/3) > >>

ballastanksian:
Hydrogen is little different to natural or town gas for explosion risk. I expect politicians are relying on a good proportion of the population to be too knee-jerk to realise this.

I appreciate that Hydrogen has a lighter atomic weight and is simpler than the other two, thus slightly more difficult to store, but we hear of gas explosions all the time.

Anyhow this is nautical forum so, I will read the articles. If using conventional engines, there is an issue with hydrolysing the cylinders and pistons making them brittle over time, so an additive needs to be mixed with the hydrogen to reduce/prevent this.

Steve40:
https://www.goauto.com.au/news/general-news/electric-vehicles/australia-rsquo-s-first-hydrogen-fuel-station-opens-in-canberra/2021-03-29/84827.html

derekwarner:
 %)

dodes:
I do not know how many of you fellows are old enough(or young enough) to remember the R N experimenting with Hydrogen Peroxide to power conventional subs. The two subs built for the trials were Excalibur and i think the other Explorer, but I remember the trials were an abject failure. Stories of valves shattering and several fires, until they were both towed away for razor blades.

BrianB6:
Interesting wiki article on HMS Explorer (Submarine) and why it was known as HMS Exploder

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version