Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hydrogen fuel at sea.  (Read 2139 times)

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Hydrogen fuel at sea.
« on: May 14, 2022, 10:46:37 am »

An old friend of mine gave me some copies of the Numast union publications, an this article caught my eye as it is a topical subject at the moment for the future.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hydrogen fuel at sea.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 10:49:41 am »

Looks like there is a computer malfunction somewhere in that the files are to big to upload to this site. Sorry everyone though I expect some one can help.!!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 11:17:11 am »

Hi dodes, both pages loaded ok on my android phone  :-))

I'll have to read later on the pc.

Thanks for putting it up on here.

Ray.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 12:48:02 pm »

Hyrodgen fuel storage  :o ...our Australian dingbat Politicians are suggesting we can be the green  Country for the World

Thats probably why they are suggesting the actual storage tanks are not permitted into the [ACT] Canberra....probably for fear of an explosion  >>:-( 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 01:26:01 pm »

The problem in the ACT is pollie gas !!!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 03:50:44 pm »

Hydrogen is little different to natural or town gas for explosion risk. I expect politicians are relying on a good proportion of the population to be too knee-jerk to realise this.

I appreciate that Hydrogen has a lighter atomic weight and is simpler than the other two, thus slightly more difficult to store, but we hear of gas explosions all the time.

Anyhow this is nautical forum so, I will read the articles. If using conventional engines, there is an issue with hydrolysing the cylinders and pistons making them brittle over time, so an additive needs to be mixed with the hydrogen to reduce/prevent this.
Pond weed is your enemy

Steve40

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 02:52:02 am »

%)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 07:35:50 pm »

I do not know how many of you fellows are old enough(or young enough) to remember the R N experimenting with Hydrogen Peroxide to power conventional subs. The two subs built for the trials were Excalibur and i think the other Explorer, but I remember the trials were an abject failure. Stories of valves shattering and several fires, until they were both towed away for razor blades.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 03:52:15 am »

Interesting wiki article on HMS Explorer (Submarine) and why it was known as HMS Exploder

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 08:29:27 am »

my only recollection of hydrogen peroxide, was related to torpedo's or a similar fuel that was used for the providing air to generate the power for the torpedo's running, was it not the reason for the Kursk going down?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

RST

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 11:15:37 pm »

I used to work with a few Comex guys that did the record depth hydrox saturation diving team back decades ago (LSS, Dive Supervisors etc, not the Divers)  I shudder to think what it was like keeping a mix of hydrogen and oxygen in storage was like.  But that was old days.  Fuel cells are a different animal entirely.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 05:55:56 pm »

Talking of torpedo fuel, remember once on RMAS Arrochar loading drums of a torpedo fuel sealed in a thick plastic lined steel drums which were sealed in plastic about 1987. The fuel encased like that because it was very carcinogenic it was loaded with a special team with special sensors. Turns out a new weapon was coming in service and i went round the various Armament Depots collecting it before it went to one for special disposal, after we discharged it it still left trace readings in the hold, only thing I knew it was orange in colour. But yes remember in the late 1970's/early 1980's aerial / ship launched short torpedoes were primed by men in ABC suits with breathing sets. Mind you some of the stuff mixed into aircraft fuel and engine fuel have some nasty chemicals put in, know that from my garden, a leaked trail of oil killed my plants out right and you could see a line of dead plants over several gardens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.