Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microgyro ESC failure !!  (Read 1396 times)

icebreaker1949

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Microgyro ESC failure !!
« on: May 19, 2022, 02:01:20 pm »

Afternoon all, my tugs have been laid up since last summer,so I decided to prep them for this summers outing...
Everything is working & good to go except...my ESC...
My ESC is an all in one Microgyro - it operates the rudder ok,but doesn't power the motor (when the motor switch is operated from the the hand held controller - the ESC led light dims in accordance with input...) The ESC is wired according to the instructions and the motor has been tested & certified working  - all worked fine before the 'hibernation' period. Any ideas as to what the problem is (I've spent hours trying to sort this out 🥴) Thanks for looking ...

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Microgyro ESC failure !!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 02:02:42 pm »

No idea, but I am sure Mike will see your post and give an answer.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 02:16:58 pm »

I can’t help with the fix but I’ve got 3 faulty fr40s I’m hoping mike can look at when he’s back in the game!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 03:49:16 pm »

I've had a similar problem in the past and it turned out to be the battery.
Although it took a normal charge and Indicated the correct voltage it was unable to turn the motor, although the rudder was fine.
I bought a new battery and all worked perfectly.

Just a case of battery deterioration for me (or lack of maintenance)  %)

Ray.

icebreaker1949

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 04:32:49 pm »

That's worth a looking at Ray, I have two full bricks in parallel on this boat, although they show as being fully charged,&, putting out 12+v....I can't tell if the amps are correct for parallel,sooo, I could be working off 1 bat Instead of two  :((
I'll have to get hold of an ammeter from somewhere & see if that's the case...

icebreaker1949

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 01:15:05 pm »

Update... had the batteries checked & there WERE low in amps - bought two new ones,fitted them, &... the motor still won't run  <:( ...

Freddie

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 04:35:07 am »

What kind of radio do you have?  Some sets, like my Spektrum, have an 'arm' switch on the throttle channel which disconnects it, for gas motor safety.  When you power on the radio with the throttle channel disarmed, everything else will work as normal. 

A second possibility is a loose wire or connection between the ESC and the motor. 
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

icebreaker1949

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 05:19:37 pm »

Yes, mine indeed does have an isolator, that comes into play when the rudder switch is 'over extended.I don't think this is the problem though as I have tried to eliminate all sorts of scenarios - without solving my problem.Next course of action is... testing the ESC... I'll look online first for instructions, &, see If my multimeter comes in handy. Failing that - I'll take it to a shop in West Derby Road in Liverpool & get it looked at there (providing it's  still open that is !!) Standby for an update...

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 09:43:30 am »

Hi

Please do not think I am high jacking this, but I had the same problem with a hobbywing ESC, I left it in my tug which is kept in my garage over the winter, come summer the ESC would not work, I have replaced all the battery's, cleaned all the connections still no go, put a new Hobbywing ESC the same as the other one into the boat all working, so it looks as if the ESC is a nonrunner.
This is the first time I have been let down by this type of ESC, Hobbywing say that there ESC are waterproof but not boat proof for that you have to use the ESC that is designed for boats not the car one, so no guarantee,
I will now ask if the ESC is O.K for use in a boat.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

icebreaker1949

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 10:14:44 am »

It's the original ESC that came with the tug.Over two years It's seen considerable action during the New Brighton & Gault Road campaigns (local boating lakes) & all was ok when they were laid up for the winter (in the house) with the odd (health check) intervention. I'm not sure how old the electronics are (how old is the ESC if it's  an all in one from microgyros ??) So, it could be passed it's use by date & your input is valid... I'm not sure how much it is to replace the unit if it is faulty I might replace the piece of kit with a  split receiver  & controller which, would run of my Futaba 6k (as opposed to the Techniplus AP227 (Mark3) that came with the boat - This is going to be a very interesting exercise ...

icebreaker1949

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 10:17:40 am »

Where did my images go - I posted two & they are quite simply... not here :o
Freddie

icebreaker1949

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 10:48:00 am »

Here they are ( I hope !!)...

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 10:55:18 am »

The most common problem with non functioning electrics after a lay up, is dirty or even corroded connections. For the sake of 5 minutes work, it's worth a clean of them all. Occasionally, you can get the dreaded black wire, one of the wires will literally turn black and  be a poor conductor, so it's worth keeping an eye out for this.

icebreaker1949

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 11:15:45 am »

Noted sir... meanwhile, I'll try posting one pic instead of two (files size may be to big for two ??)...

Well, that didn't work either- does it take a while for the images to appear or something??

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2022, 01:39:25 pm »

I am not familiar with Microgyro ESC's, but I'll ask this anyhow. Does this ESC have a neutral safety start position, ie, does the throttle need to be in neutral when the ESC is powered up before it will operate? Is the throttle trim set to neutral? Does the motor turn over by hand freely? Can you EASILY swap the current ESC for another and test the radio/battery/motor set-up in the boat? Likewise will the ESC work in another boat or out of the boat? Lastly, Does this ESC use realys for forward/reverse? I have seen relays stick.

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 03:57:32 am »

Hi

Please do not think I am high jacking this, but I had the same problem with a hobbywing ESC, I left it in my tug which is kept in my garage over the winter, come summer the ESC would not work, I have replaced all the battery's, cleaned all the connections still no go, put a new Hobbywing ESC the same as the other one into the boat all working, so it looks as if the ESC is a nonrunner.
This is the first time I have been let down by this type of ESC, Hobbywing say that there ESC are waterproof but not boat proof for that you have to use the ESC that is designed for boats not the car one, so no guarantee,
I will now ask if the ESC is O.K for use in a boat.

The problem wasn't the label on the ESC (which is all that a 'boat' or 'car' designation is) but rather that it was stored in a garage over winter.  Big changes in humidity and temperature aren't good for electronics.
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

icebreaker1949

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022, 10:19:20 am »

Thanks for your contributions gentlemen,  at the moment  I am still trying to resolve the situation using Mayhemers suggestion s... standby for updates... :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.