Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GRP Hull modification  (Read 921 times)

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
GRP Hull modification
« on: May 22, 2022, 06:33:29 am »

Hi,
A bit of guidance if possible, I have a grp hull which is very close to a design I am building but the front end @6" needs completely reshaping/cutting off and replacing.
Any thoughts?, as I was thinking of a balsa sandwich or just gluing blocks around the old and re-shaping.
Rich
Regards,

Rich

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: GRP Hull modification
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 02:58:13 pm »

Never going to be as strong as an integral moulding so you could do a cut and shut and use that as a 'Master' to mould a new female and then use that to mould a new hull.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: GRP Hull modification
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 03:28:51 pm »

Done this sort if thing a few times, do your remodelling and make sure you are happy with it and the finish is good. Then give it a good old waxing and to be sure a wipe over with PVA A as in acetate, NOT the white glue. Then gel and glass up a laminate over the area that you have remodelled allowing a couple of inches past onto existing hull. When set drill a couple of hole for reregistering and remove the mould. Then chop off the offending bit, replace the prepared (Waxed) mould and the gel and laminate as before, when set remove mould and Bobs your uncle. nemesis 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.