Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cadercrafts "Northlight" clyde puffer  (Read 4578 times)

murphy1570

Cadercrafts "Northlight" clyde puffer
« on: October 30, 2007, 12:27:04 am »

Hello folks,
I recently bought a built model of the Northlight on e bay it is in need of some restoration and fitting out with a motor and rc gear etc, I seem to recall that some years ago I read an article on building the Northlight in either model boats magazine or perhaps marine modelling, if any fellow member has a copy of this article I would be most gratefull if they could either e mail me a copy at seanbyrne@blueyonder.co.uk, or post it to me I will of course pay for any cost involved, also any information as to a suitable motor battery pack and speed controller would be appreciated, as I am a relative newcomer to radio control model boats.
Thanks in advance, John.

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
Re: Cadercrafts "Northlight" clyde puffer
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 12:29:48 pm »

Try contacting the editorial staff/s of Model Boats and/or Marine Modelling for  back issues of the relevant review.Don't get your hopes up too high coz 'Northlight' has been on the market for a number of years.

Good hunting.
Popeye
 O0
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

murphy1570

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 11:30:19 pm »

Hello Popeye, Thanks for your advice re caldercrafts "Northlight Clyde Puffer" I will follow it up and post a message to let you know how I get on in the next week or so.
Cheers, John.

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 03:17:30 pm »

Ahoy Murphy 1570..................
..........Phone Caldercraft/Jotika they may also be able to help.
 O0

murphy1570

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 11:34:53 pm »

Hello folks,
Thanks to all who responded to my question re the review of the above "Puffer" I have tried all the advice given with no luck, if there are any other members out there who can help in any way I would be very grateful.
 Thanks all the best, John.

murphy1570

Hello again folks,
I meant to ask this question on my earlier post but forgot, could any member advise me on a suitable motor speed control and battery pack for Caldercrafts model of the Clyde Puffer "Northlight", also as I mentioned in my earlier email  any advice as to where to get a copy of the review of this model which was published in model boats or marine modelling some years ago would be appreciated.
Thanks, John.

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 12:37:49 pm »

Hi John (Dear John sounds too much like a brush-off!)

Not having much luck to date, are you.

I'll give you some ideas ,though they're not definitive and might be poo-poo'd by others.

MOTOR: Torpedo 400 (direct drive). For extra torque eg. to turn a slow revving four bladed prop, try a geared Torpedo 500 though you'll need to have a deft touch with the Go-Go stick in order to maintain a scale like speed - snail-like in the case of the Puffer. However it's better to have speed in hand to get out of trouble which is a feature you'll get from the '500' which may be otherwise slightly overpowered for this particular model.

ESC: Try MTronic - the smallest will suffice for the '400' motor though you'd have to check out the desirability of having a higher rating ESC for the '500'

BATTERY: Suggest 12 volt sealed Gell Cell battery of between 4 and 7amh - it'll  provide duration on the water and also much needed internal ballast.

BACK ISSUES; sorry can't help you there .

If you haven't already done so, pop along to your local  model boat club. Members are always willing ,if not eager, to give advise and may also be able to offer practical help at the workbench.

Good luck and may the revs be with you. O0

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 12:48:50 pm »

Mine runs on 6 volts with an electonize 545/12 and one of their ESC, a 15 amp one I think.
The prop is a brass one the same sixze as the white metal kit one.
Frank

murphy1570

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 11:47:39 pm »

Thanks guys,
For all your advice re the above model I will let you know how I get on, as far as I know there used to be a model boat club in Perth Scotland but can find no trace of it now, hence the postings on the site, if anyone knows that I am wrong please let me know.
Once again thanks for the advice any more recieved would be welcome, thanks in advance.
All the best, John.

murphy1570

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 11:49:59 pm »

Hello folks thanks again for all your advice" re the caldercraft northlight", asking if anyone had a copy of the review dated September 1984 who very kindly sent me a copy and it is just what I was looking for, so thanks again David.
All the best, folks great site. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.