Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lighting the boiler problem  (Read 1056 times)

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
lighting the boiler problem
« on: May 29, 2022, 09:44:06 pm »

Hi everyone

I am having trouble lighting my MHB boiler which i have had from new for 15 years and had no problems.
When i try to light it i get a loud noise which i can only describe the sound like a high reving motor bike when started.

I have removed the burner once lit i get a nice blue flame as it should be with a nice roaring sound,i have tryed
both number 5 and 8 jets but get the same result. I have not changed anything to the boiler or burner or the way
i light the boiler. I would be most greatfull if someone could help

Thanks in advance madboats

Happy Boating

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
Re: lighting the boiler problem
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 10:14:11 pm »

I assume you are able to light the burner. Maybe you just don't like the noise. Perhaps asking the obvious before the burner experts kick in, but here are some ideas:

-- Have you changed the fuel/air ratio by moving the jet with respect to the air holes in the mixing tube?

-- Is there contamination inside the fuel /air mixing tube? (some sort of particles)

--I know you said you changed jets, but are they both free of soot in the orifice?  You can blow compressed air backwards into the jet, and/or soak the jet in solvent. (I use a tiny wire, but people say you can damage the orifice)

-- Are you using a different fuel mix for the first time, like 70/30 butane/propane where before you had pure butane?

-- Is the valve on your fuel tank the same as always? Can you attenuate the gas flow and still get the stuttering?

I know there are mysteries here.  Good luck chasing it down.  BTW, what's wrong with having the stuttering noise? Is the flame "tuning" still to your satisfaction?

-Carl

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 03:23:28 am »

I am not a steam buff, but do play with burners. The fuel air mix can cause rocket noises. Two things spring to mind.

Fuel
Have you changed brand or type of fuel? If so, swap back and see if that fixes it.

Air
Are there any obstructions in the fire box, that might affect airflow?
Or something missing that is now allowing excessive airflow? Check on or under the workbench for a missing part if you have stripped the burner recently.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 05:27:21 am »

Could I suggest, if the boiler burner setup has not caused an audible issue [howling sound] for the past 15 years, however now creates ....

"the sound like a high reving motor bike when started" ....suggest that something has changed O0

I see you mention that the boiler is MHB  [Martin & Howles Bayless] so is certainly a reputable boiler manufacturer

Could you upload some current images of the boiler & burner arrangement, as may help some more experienced members to offer comment

Without being impertinent, do you use, or have you changed hearing aide?.........the reason I ask is that a female acquaintance was recently fitted with these new super MICRO in-ear hearing aids, and now has all sorts of sound issues, with one being the loud sound of 'toilet paper' being ripped :D

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 05:48:36 pm »

Hello !When a problem occurs on the boiler, we immediately think of the jet. But if the jet is partially plugged, there will be no noise.

If a powerful blast noise that did not exist before occurs, it may also be:
- The gas tank is too full and liquid is burning in the furnace. Above all in summer time with temps above 26°C.
- As the boiler is stored for a long period, an insect may have taken up residence in the fireplace and burning it , may create an obstruction which is hard to evacuate. Spider nets or webs burn very badly.
Some boilers are known to be noisy when firung up (Regner for example) , but the noice goes away after a while when it is hot.
Steam is taht great , that when there is a problem, we rarely have the answer and the problem is solved, we do not always understand why ! %%
Please , show a photo with the burner out and the type of boiler.
Regards.

[/size][size=0px]a female acquaintance was recently fitted with these new super MICRO in-ear hearing aids, and now has all sorts of sound issues, with one being the [/size][/size][size=0px]loud sound of 'toilet paper' being ripped [/size][/size][/size][size=0px]
Derek ! Is Jeanne of Arc is coming back in Australia now ?? {-) [/size]

CliffW

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 01:50:06 am »

I agree with what others have said...something has probably changed.  Unfortunately hard to know without inspection...you will need to remover the burner from the boiler to inspect and establish if the burner has developed a hole, or if the air/fuel mixture had changed.  We need more info to evaluate...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.