Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kymodels Mooring Tug  (Read 1800 times)

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great.
Kymodels Mooring Tug
« on: May 29, 2022, 11:04:49 pm »

Hi All
Finally managed to upload some photos of the mooring tug. Thanks to RST and JimG for all their help and advice. RST suggested a change  to the stock motor which is a 400 to a 385. This transformed the running. Fitted with a Mtroniks 10amp esc and a 7.2v 1600 Nimh battery it just last forever. Well over 45min on the first run with loads of battery life left.

Alan
Alan

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
  • Nothing is impossible to the willing mind.
Re: Kymodels Mooring Tug
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 01:21:14 am »

Superb work Alan!!!

How did you find the kit to put together? Got my eyes open for my next purcha$e : )

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 02:41:03 am »

Superb work Alan!!!

How did you find the kit to put together? Got my eyes open for my next purcha$e : )

... Yes, Same!   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 09:46:07 am »

Hi Phil and Martin

No real fit issues although I have heard others had warping problems. It’s more like an Airfix kit. All plastic, used superglue and 5 minute epoxy for assembly. Obviously the main issue is the size and shoe horning the radio gear in.

Used a 385 motor as the stock motor that came with it is a 400 and on first test it nearly took off in the bath. The 385 is much better and now it’s more scale speed. ESC is Mtroniks 10amp. Batteries are Overlander 7.2v 1600 saddle type. The longest I have run it for is 45min and still had loads in the battery.

It is a fiddle to get every thing installed. One of the trickiest is trying to connect the rudder to the servo, nota lot of room for sausage fingers!

It’s compact and easy to cart about. Bought a 8 quid soft bag off of Amazon to carry it in. I paid £99 for mine and I think they are available for about £109.

If you have even a moderate amount of skills it should be an easy build. Just change the stock motor unless you want a speed boat. ok2

Alan
Alan

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 08:22:20 pm »

Just found this.

This is what it started out as.

free animated png

Alan
Alan

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
  • Nothing is impossible to the willing mind.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 10:28:52 am »

Thanks so much Alan for the run down and photo. It's a very manageable looking size. Again terrific work!

RST

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 07:38:02 pm »

Hi Alan,

Good to see another one done (and nicely).  I think the stock 380 motor is meant for running 1S LiPo batteries.  Easy change to something more sensible like the 385 running regular Ni-Mh.  Actually I think a 285 motor would be fine for this going by my other models.  It's just a shame they didn't go for a regular 2 or 4mm shaft with threaded end -that would have opened up more options for propellers but it does absolutely fine on the stock one.

For benefit of others later I found the trick with the tiller arm is to assemble the rudder linkage to the tiller arm (I used a small clevis), tape the joint at an angle with a bit of tape left sticking out so it can be pulled later.  Then some frustrating minutes to feed the ruder up so the stock comes through the tiller arm, and tighten the grub screw.  Not too easy, but not impossible -just frustrating but that's what it's like on small models.  I also made the bottom of the keel / skeg at the rudder (heel pintle?) on mine removable with very small screws just in case I want to drop the rudder out again though can't think of a reason why.

You reminded me I never fitted the "MOORING TUG I" name on mine.  Dug the vinyl cutter out this afternoon and it's done now after lots of cursing trying to remember how to get it to cut -looks OK from a distance but a little rougher than yours!

I wonder how many of us have built this model so far?  I'm half tempted to buy another and change the cabin for a bit of freelance scratch-building but I have too many projects on the go.  It's well worth the money even if a few small bits are swapped out of preference.

Richard

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 08:31:47 pm »

Hi Phil

I think it’s worth the money. It comes complete including the motor and servo. Although the motor swap is well worth doing. It’s a nice size for carting about and run time is good.

I have another kymodel kit waiting the Norden, a fishing trawler. Again everything is in the box. Slightly larger than the mooring tug, but a similar build. Worth a look.

Alan

Alan

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 08:39:29 pm »

Hi Rich

Fully agree with all you say. The rudder to servo is slightly challenging but not to much. The rope guard above the cabin is another slightly challenging part, but again if not rushed is ok.

As you can read above I took your advice regarding the motor. The one supplied is far to powerful. The Nordon has I think if I remember a 280, but the build looks similar.

I saw your conversion of the Amera fishing boat, so this could be a good basis for a conversion. :-))

Alan
Alan

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 01:42:59 pm »

Hi Alan I told you your first model is superb. You taken on board many things to complete your model well done. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 05:05:39 pm »

Hi Stan

Thanks for your remarks and your help. It Is appreciated.

Thanks Alan
Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.