Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maggie M Build  (Read 1518 times)

Tamar

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Maggie M Build
« on: June 08, 2022, 05:28:59 pm »

Hi , It has been 2 years since I last posted a message ~ my thanks to all members that helped me with my 46" Wooden RAF Crash Tender ~ I managed to get her on the water in October 2020 being the last Club Meet ( Dolphin Model Boat Club Orpington Kent ) . I was working on 2 boats at the same time the Crash Tender and a Model Slipway Maggie M . In the end I concentrated all my time on the Crash Tender . We had no Club Meets last year as Bromley Council was in dispute with Thames Water ( contravening a Water Act ) , so I lost my mo joy a bit and played trains last year ~ thankfully the pond has been filled this year so I have dusted off the plans and restarted the build . I love Slipway models as their fittings are really comprehensive . I have 2 questions that hopefully someone can give advice :
1 ~ I know the Club Members told me that Maggie was a tad heavy , but up to now I have not had any problems with the ballasting ~ the Plans say the boat has a 10kg displacement ~ please excuse my ignorance but is this what I aim at so that she floats / sails  well
2 ~ I have built many boats Tamar , Pakassa and a selection of 18" / 20" fishing boats and I have enhanced them by adding fish boxes with fish , crab pots etc. , but I cannot find any pictures of the real craft that shows any additional kit as it were ~ in addition to the nets and winches what things would be on the deck when she was fishing ~ i.e. fish boxes buckets petrol cans
As always I appreciate any advice / information that you guys could give me to make Maggie realistic

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Maggie M Build
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 07:01:41 am »

It's the amount of weight that will sit the boat on its waterline. Too much weight will put the line under water and the opposite for too little. It follows that the ballast has to be distributed as low as possible and in such a way that the waterline is level all around.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Tamar

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 05:09:57 pm »

Hi Andy , many  thanks , makes sense , I was going to use an accumulator , but with the switches I have installed it is not too easy to get it in , so I am now using Lipos and will make up the balance with Lead ~ many thanks again , take care and keep safe regards  Ray

RST

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 03:10:39 am »

Hi Ray,

To answer question number 2, she's a shelter deck trawler so apart from hauling nets in, pretty much everything happens inside.  That's why you don't see too much clutter.

Hope that helps or isn't too obvious to say.

Rich.

Tamar

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 03:34:58 pm »

Good afternoon Rich ,

I hope you are well ~ many thanks for your help and the information is very helpful , I always try and make my models as true to original vessel as possible . I have many photos of other modelers who have built a Maggie M and one even has crab pots on the deck ~ a member of my club always say it is your boat so do as you wish , but crab pots are totally wrong ~ so I will finish the boat using what Model Slipway has provided in the kit ~ again many thanks . take care and keep safe regards Ray

Tamar

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 03:36:01 pm »

p.s. your advice was not too obvious Thanks Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.