Mess Deck: General Section > Beginners start here...!

Clinker built rowing boat plans

(1/2) > >>

MikeH:
Hi, I’ve just joined and am having difficulties finding plans on the internet for a clinker built rowing boat.
I’m not brilliant with computers. I’d love to make a large scale clinker built rowing boat. Say about 2 feet long.
For RC. With a working man to row it. Happy to pay for plans. Can anyone suggest where to look or send a link please?
I have a good woodworking workshop and time on my hands now 😊
Thanks. Mike.

Ralph:

No plans I'm afraid but there's video of the rowing boat I restored many years ago on the Dundee Model Boat Club facebook page, together with some photos in the comments which might help you.

Facebook

ps I'm having trouble creating a link to the page but right clicking on [size=78%]Facebook[/size] and opening in a new tab seems to work.  If all else fails the post was created in October 2020 so should be findable.

Good luck and please post pics of your model in due course - love to see how other folk make their rowing mechanisms.

Ralph

Vintage:

--- Quote from: MikeH on June 08, 2022, 08:26:40 pm ---Can anyone suggest where to look or send a link please?

Thanks. Mike.

--- End quote ---
Hi Mike,

It sounds like a great project  :-))

There's a book that was published by the National Maritime Museum a few years ago now but it's now out of print.

It's called Clench Lap or Clinker by Eric McKee and, if you click on that title, second hand copies are available.

There are plans in the book that are intended to be cut out to make a card model, you could scale it up and make a larger version ...

Alternatively there are plans for a 21" sailing dinghy that you could use. I have a finished model of this and it's lovely.

Just for inspiration I've attached some images of an early Adamcraft sailing dinghy that I also have, it was available in around 1949 either as a factory finished model (as images) or, more commonly, a kit. The lines are beautiful.

I appreciate that the above are all sailing dinghies but they would be very simple to adapt.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Bunkerbarge:
https://www.skipper.co.uk/catalogue/item/ships-boats-smacks-dinghy-or-beach-boat

Used to make this:

Thelegos:
The 21” dinghy Vintage refers to is most likely plan number MM153, known as ‘Moth’ in the old Model Maker publications.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version