Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Public liability  (Read 1222 times)

Barney Magrew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Public liability
« on: June 12, 2022, 05:45:07 pm »

I understand the need for Public liability for Clubs, and also that some places will insist upon it.  My question, generally speaking does a  Public liability Insurance cover a Club attending 2 or 3 events at the same time? or do we need to look further.

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Public liability
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 09:53:11 pm »

At the risk of stating the obvious ..... you need to read the small print in your policy. If that leaves any 'greyness' in your mind then seek clarity from your insurer. Under no circumstances accept the word of 'a mate down the pub' or someone on a forum. All policies can be different therefore you need to check with your insurer regarding specific details of the cover.I'm not trying to be unhelpful, in-fact just the opposite, which is why I suggest you get clarity from your provider and if necessary ask for it in writing.
Best regardsSteve Dean. Chairman Great Yarmouth MBC

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 01:50:18 pm »

Hi Barney as a club secretary our practice was/is that if you are visiting another club for an event then the member(s) would let me know and I would write a contemperaneous note in the minutes book that so an so was representing the club at whichever event.
However in this digital age and the reduced use of written information I do not know what would constitute an acceptance of club responsibility for an outside event.
As another has pointed out check with your broker for the insurance view.  I expect he might want to charge you extra but resist! 

I think the main thing is that members are aware of their own club rules and it makes sense to check with a club you are visiting on their rules.  If you break your own rules the insurance may become invalid. 

If you do not have any written rules then I suggest you create a Risk Assessment that covers all your activities.

Let us know if you get an official response.
regards
Roy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 09:35:35 pm »

Our insurer says that as long as it is an official club event, we are covered, even if its 3 events at different locations on the same day!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 12:06:31 am »

'says' ... >>:-(  Klunk, with the greatest respect, an insurance verbal is not worth the paper it is written on  .....

Lord forbid, if an incident occurred, we all need to ensure our 'paperwork' is warm, fussy & leak-free when submitted to the Court for deliberation

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 12:44:10 am »

I got it in writing to confirm it!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 08:14:45 am »

Colwyn Bay's Policy states "Anywhere in the U.K.", without any caveats.  Since the contract does not specifically limit how many events and locations per day, UK law interprets that as unlimited.
Just as you must inform the Insurer of all relevent matters, they must do the same.

Barney Magrew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 11:31:20 am »

Having checked with our insurer it would appear that it doesn't matter how many events you have on at the same time, so long as it is a designated club event you will be covered.  If you decide to go off and attend someting on your won without telling the club, the insurance is void.

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 12:14:23 pm »

Hi 'Barney Magrew' ...... I'm pleased to hear that you've checked with your insurance provider and now have clear guidelines. To be diligent it would be wise to inform your members of the exact statement by the insurer. Happy sailing to you and your members.Steve Dean, Chairman Great Yarmouth MBC

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.