Mess Deck: General Section > Full Scale Ships

Portsmouth Dockyard June 2022

<< < (4/4)

Colin Bishop:
The building would need to be 65m (205 ft) high.

They have enclosed the Vasa in Stockholm but only to the height of the lower masts. The Mary Rose at Portsmouth is also enclosed but only half the hull is preserved.

Personally I think Victory looks better in the open air. She just woudn't look the same boxed up. She is also a lot bigger than the other two.

Colin

dodes:
Took these pics on sunday in Portsmouth naval base.

dodes:
Still having problems will have to find some other way???

warspite:
Yes I did think about it - buildings can be built big, Singapore has a very large glass house with tree top walkways, temperature controlled and weather proof, also wasa is sat on the actual floor from the above picture, victory is in a dock, so the 65m 205 feet is still not so high, she would also be very impressive fully rigged, I understand a full support under the main beams would be a solid structure, but a frame lined with a wooden strip against the hull at every 4th of similar to the current props would take more load than the props, maintaining the shape and taking more of the weight, also allowing the public to walk through the frames would give them the opportunity to see the hull from underneath. I would like to know how the constitution is still holding up to the rigors of time, she is not as old and yet still afloat.

JimG:
The Constitution like most old wooden warships has seen much repairs and reconstructions over the years. HMS Trincomallee at Hartlepool (the oldest British warship still afloat) underwent major repair and rebuilds to reach its present condition. HMS Unicorn at Dundee is probably one of the most original sailing frigates around due to its original roof fitted during its building before launching. It has only had a few smaller repairs over the years although it has had modifications made to suit its use as a training ship for the naval reserve. Its current problem is rot where fresh water was able to gain access after the bow section of the roof was removed to allow for the fitting of a bowsprit and figurehead. It is suffering from hogging where the bow and stern have dropped due to their lower buoyancy and there is talk of her being permanantly drydocked.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version