Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Wishes  (Read 1050 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Best Wishes
« on: June 17, 2022, 08:41:35 am »

Hi all, I thought I would share this with you.  I am off this afternoon to see my friend Guy Ellerby I see him every Friday afternoon and we put the world to right and re-run what we said to who etc. 

He has made a model yacht and a French canal boat but he was an engineering toolmaker and then he was lost to the black arts of lathes and milling machines  and made several working 5 inch gauge locos and a large traction engine which he could ride behind. 

He still has a go at machining in his workshop but is hampered from being 90% blind.
Having said that he only recently was persuaded to have a cleaner come in otherwise with his daughter he is self supporting.  He still talks fondly of the young ladies. 

His favourite story is from when he was brought up in Paris as a young lad, he would be paid a few centimes to stand and watch for the gendarmes while a street singer with her little band wandered the streets and sang for their supper. 

At the time he knew her as Eddie (sounds better in French) but she became known worldwide as Edith Piaf!
You might wonder just how old he is?
Well today is his birthday and he is 103  Thats right he was borne 17th. June 1919.   Any good wishes I will pass on to him this afternoonRegardsRoy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Best Wishes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 09:27:30 am »

You are a good person Roy........my Grandpa instilled in me, such, similar or dissimilar actions were worth their weight in gold  O0
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 10:17:55 am »

Hi Derek, this is not a labour for me at all.  He was our Chairman for many years and I was Secretary (still am) and we became good friends so we go back a long while, over 30 years.  There is another friend who visits regularly and he is the 'Tuesday man'  he is a good friend as well.
Guy has a loving family and they think the world of him and at that age he is a Great Grandfather and they all ring him during the week to keep up with him.  So when I see him he always has some news of what they are doing.
regards
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 06:46:56 pm »

Hi all, I turned up this afternoon full of good cheer.  Greeted by Guy who said let me bring you up to date. 

So he proceeded to tell me how yesterday evening 2 men bullied there way into the house ransacked it while he was there and stole money.  As they pushed past him they saw the emergency connection device around his neck and it ripped off before he could press the button.
They left the police were called and were ther until about 11 that evening.  He is fine no damage he is annoyed not cowed by the event. 

though his friends next door were away they have cameras which should help find the villains.He is surprisingly resilient and has brushed it off but his daughter will be keeping an eye on him.
Do not know what the world is coming too, it is believed they targetted the disabled handrail by the door.
Derek was als there this afternoon and we left him in good spirits, he is a fighter I am glad to say.

Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 06:58:09 pm »

The people who do this lack any sense of humanity. It is just sickening really. I just hope that they are caught and that the Judge gives them the maximum possible sentence. It is so difficult to get into the mindset of people who would do something like this. Totaly alien really.

Just glad that Guy is OK. Is the money a great loss to him? Is there any way we could help?

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 09:39:19 pm »

Hello Colin a kind thought he is a pensioner but otherwise gently comfortable.  He was not bothered by losing the money just annoyed that he was powerless to respond.I agree with you sentiments I will passs them on
regards
Roy

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 11:11:02 am »

Mental assault is bad enough but at least, thankfully, no physical assault. Sadly a good(???) brief would be able to furnish a thousand reasons for not applying the birch to the perpetrators if/when caught. >>:-(

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 04:40:52 pm »

That's just appalling!  {:-{

People who do that sort of thing need 'adjusting' with numerous Swann-Morton blades................
Regards
Kit

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 07:18:34 pm »

Lead poisoning, 2 ounces delivered with a muzzle velocity.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 01:48:11 am »

The Liberalist Reformers do not see, and choose not to hear the consequences of drug addiction

I choose not to support such so-called do-gooder improvements to society types......

In many circumstances, the maximum possible sentence has little reflection to the barbarism crime perpetrated

There was a very, very old Book, of many different Faiths that suggested an eye for an eye <*< 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.