Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tragic loss of the fishing vessel Nicola Faith - MAIB report  (Read 2366 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

This was mentioned on the news today so I looked up the MAIB report:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/62b08c828fa8f53574bf8ba5/2022-8-NicolaFaith-Report.pdf

It does make sobering reading, none of the crew were experienced seafarers and the skipper either disregarded or did not understand stability issues.

The same principles on stability apply to our models but in that case the model simply turns turtle and may or may not sink.

In the full size situation three crew members died.

Colin

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tragic loss of the fishing vessel Nicola Faith - MAIB report
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 10:47:41 am »

The rules are changing for that size of boat shortly Colin , they are going to have to have a stability book and the skipper will need to do a mandatory stability course ( also all skippers even on boats less than 5m have to have a class 3 ticket now unless they were skipper before that rule change came in then they get given it under grandfather rights )
Davie Tait,
Scotland

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 09:04:38 pm »

Very interesting reading, very thorough,  sad with the loss of life....lessons I think have been learnt I hope
Steamed up all the time

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 04:24:42 pm »

I hear what has been said, but these guys work in a tough financial environment and money spent on repairs / paint etc means less money for the crew / owners without wages etc. I expect as there were no witness's to this tragic event the official report is based on educated guess's. But when in the past I have read the various reports, it is usually down to poor maintenance/repairs and odd fittings like bilge pumps etc failing, you only need a few inchs of water slopping in the bilges and that has dramatic effect on the ships stability curve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.