Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cam belt motor drive  (Read 1826 times)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
cam belt motor drive
« on: June 27, 2022, 06:41:27 pm »

HI ALL has anyone got a cam belt drive  unit  made by MFA   for mainly eletric filght but can be used in boats as well an if    they want to sell as i would like one to go with the one i have for a twin prop ship ?
chris

RST

Re: cam belt motor drive
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 06:56:39 pm »

Hi Chris,

From memory there were two "timing belt" style drives from MFA though happy to be corrected.  One metal for 800/850 motors and the other plastic for 380/400 or 540 size motors.  The latter I think was referred to as "Olympus" in the two different motor sizes.  You might need to give a bit more info on what motor to fit.  I'm sure the Olympus drives are long out of stock.

Rich

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 07:35:44 pm »

Hi Chris,

From memory there were two "timing belt" style drives from MFA though happy to be corrected.  One metal for 800/850 motors and the other plastic for 380/400 or 540 size motors.  The latter I think was referred to as "Olympus" in the two different motor sizes.  You might need to give a bit more info on what motor to fit.  I'm sure the Olympus drives are long out of stock.

Rich

HI Rich
yes im after a Olympus drive made in plastic an yes to fit the 540 motor an yes but im just askin just in case anyone has one they wont use as if i dont ask i wont get will i ?
chris :-))

RST

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 08:04:14 pm »

Hi Chris, I know but you might get offered what you don't t want as there are 3 different ones that I know of.  I see Olympus drives very infrequently pop up on eBay so worth keeping an eye out on there also.  They don't last long when I do see them.

Rich

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 08:12:47 pm »

Please be aware  the unit for the 380 motors is not belt drive plastic gears. The 540 unit is belt drive but early units will need basic modification to work well in model bosts

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 08:25:15 pm »

Hi Chris, I know but you might get offered what you don't t want as there are 3 different ones that I know of.  I see Olympus drives very infrequently pop up on eBay so worth keeping an eye out on there also.  They don't last long when I do see them.

Rich

THANKS Rch for info
chris :-)) :-))

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 08:25:32 pm »

hi ya Chris,

Is this the type you are after (the one in this photograph/link) I am putting on.

If so, I am sure I have one spare - you would need to give me a couple of days to dig it out for you.

What I wonder Stan, is what modifications you have to do?  Cos, the only thing I have ever had to do was to drill and pin the main drive to the shaft.

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7947.msg77366.html#msg77366
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 08:36:38 pm »

Please be aware  the unit for the 380 motors is not belt drive plastic gears. The 540 unit is belt drive but early units will need basic modification to work well in model bosts

HI Stan yes i want the 540 one as ive always used these in my ships but a freind sent me one as he knew i used them so another one then i can use them in a twin screw vessel would it help if i fitted on a picture ? guys
an here it is
https://ibb.co/5cwH72s
chris

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 09:57:48 pm »

HI Stan yes i want the 540 one as ive always used these in my ships but a freind sent me one as he knew i used them so another one then i can use them in a twin screw vessel would it help if i fitted on a picture ? guys
an here it is
https://ibb.co/5cwH72s
chris

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 10:25:53 pm »

HI Martin any thanks for posting the pic  :-))  just got to hope someone has one for sale ?
chris

RST

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 10:41:52 pm »

Sorry Chris and Stan, I forgot the smaller MFA one was geared.  I once had in my hand a 380 sized belt drive unit that looked just like the Olympus but couldn't afford it at the time. Never found one again since, perhaps it was a custom job!

Old adds like this kept me thinking MFA made a smaller belt drive.  Perhaps the description is wrong...

https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/mfa-como-drills-mini-olympus-with-rocket-400-motor

(Sorry Chris, am wandering off topic)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 10:54:18 pm »

Sorry Chris and Stan, I forgot the smaller MFA one was geared.  I once had in my hand a 380 sized belt drive unit that looked just like the Olympus but couldn't afford it at the time. Never found one again since, perhaps it was a custom job!

Old adds like this kept me thinking MFA made a smaller belt drive.  Perhaps the description is wrong...

https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/mfa-como-drills-mini-olympus-with-rocket-400-motor

(Sorry Chris, am wandering off topic)

HI Rich well it says out of stock so no joy there but i was just hopein some one had a spare one layin about as one of my boaty freinds has but he wants his one so wont sell it to me
cheers for info
chris

Rich griff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 10:40:58 am »

Some times the car world can yield stuff suitable for modelling, like cam belt units with a motor, from electric mirrors if I remember correctly.

Will try and post a picture of what I mean later today...

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 11:59:31 am »

hi ya Chris,

Is this the type you are after (the one in this photograph/link) I am putting on.

If so, I am sure I have one spare - you would need to give me a couple of days to dig it out for you.

What I wonder Stan, is what modifications you have to do?  Cos, the only thing I have ever had to do was to drill and pin the main drive to the shaft.

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7947.msg77366.html#msg77366
John

HI John  hope you have one spare an yes its the one can you tell me how much you want for it an if i can afford it i will buy it off you many thanks
chris

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 03:47:49 pm »

Price 10 million bollars NOT - :-) - if you want to donate to Mayhem that is great though :-)

got one spare for you here :-)

send me your address and I will send it in the post to you pronto.  Ya nearly missed it, didnt ya :-)    -

As an afterthought, there used to be a guy on here - Peter (HS93) another one we sadly lost - and he is another miss .    Peter used to make his own belt-drive gear boxes and I have been doing a quick search to see if I could find any photographs/pictures of the ones he made - I know he made a few and they were pretty simple to construct.  So, this is the possibility for those who are looking for a similar design to the MFA/Olympus belt drive.  The other other thought is MFA (I am sure they still do it, but it is really expensive) and it is all in alloy as well - I think it was about £60 mark.  So if you go onto their website and have a search, that is one solution.   So here we go.....
a link to Peter's belt drive
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12510.msg195100.html#msg195100

MFACOMODRILLS.COMJohn
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2022, 07:27:17 am »

HI John  many thanks for that link to the chap who has passed so sad  but i had a good read up on usein gears an belt drive an i have gained some usefull info as never thought of usein one motor to drive 2 prop sharfts but from what i see it really depends on how far the shafts are apart so to me this is gettin complex sending off for cam belt gears an the belt drive as knowin me id get it all wrong an waste my money
chris

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2022, 08:56:21 am »

Hi will check next week and let you know.

Stan

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2022, 09:04:41 am »

Hi will check next week and let you know.

Stan

HI Stan be great as john is sending me one but if you have one it would be great to have it as it will be nice to have another in case the bearin go on one as ive had that happen dint sail ship for a fair while an the bearin all went rusty as i got water up the prop shafts an i dint check it as i had back trouble an could not get up to the shelf where the ship was so yes please if you do have one let me know many thanks
chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.