The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Yachts and Sail

Long keel with integral rudder

(1/2) > >>

DBS88:
Hi apologies if the terminology is not correct. I am looking for kits, plans or ready to run yachts types with a long keel and integral rudder, that’s not too deep, the type that passes through weed. The club lake has weed this year so the IOM yachts can’t race. The idea is to identify an alternative style of yacht that can be raced when there is some weed present. For example something similar to the MoonbeamYour ideas and suggestions will be most welcome, thankyou

mrlownotes:
'J' Class ?

DBS88:
Thank you for suggesting the J Class, have had a look and they are stunning. Have found a website selling J Class Hulls the Nottingham 48 looks to be of interest, does anyone here have experience with them, do you race them?

SailorGreg:
I have one - look here - and I can confirm they slip through weed as long as it isn't thick, matted and generally unco-operative.  Certainly a viable boat when the vertical keels (and all prop boats) have ground to a halt.  You might struggle to complete one this year before the weed starts to retreat.  But next year....!  I don't race it (I am the only one in my club) but it is a most elegant yacht to see cruising around, does the heart good!  :}

Greg

Added by Admin

DBS88:
Greg thank you for the link to your informative build, the Nottingham 48 defiantly looks to be a great option, and your build log is full of useful hints and tips for the inexperienced like me to learn from

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version