Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long keel with integral rudder  (Read 1495 times)

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Long keel with integral rudder
« on: June 28, 2022, 07:23:12 am »

Hi apologies if the terminology is not correct. I am looking for kits, plans or ready to run yachts types with a long keel and integral rudder, that’s not too deep, the type that passes through weed. The club lake has weed this year so the IOM yachts can’t race. The idea is to identify an alternative style of yacht that can be raced when there is some weed present. For example something similar to the MoonbeamYour ideas and suggestions will be most welcome, thankyou

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Long keel with integral rudder
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 11:33:26 am »

'J' Class ?
Bintur Ellenbach

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 10:01:44 pm »

Thank you for suggesting the J Class, have had a look and they are stunning. Have found a website selling J Class Hulls the Nottingham 48 looks to be of interest, does anyone here have experience with them, do you race them?

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 10:31:37 pm »

I have one - look here - and I can confirm they slip through weed as long as it isn't thick, matted and generally unco-operative.  Certainly a viable boat when the vertical keels (and all prop boats) have ground to a halt.  You might struggle to complete one this year before the weed starts to retreat.  But next year....!  I don't race it (I am the only one in my club) but it is a most elegant yacht to see cruising around, does the heart good!  :}

Greg

Added by Admin

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 01:50:47 pm »

Greg thank you for the link to your informative build, the Nottingham 48 defiantly looks to be a great option, and your build log is full of useful hints and tips for the inexperienced like me to learn from

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 02:16:25 pm »

Hi you might want to consider the yacht Inga IV once by Krick, should be a few on sale. 

I have one and they go very well and as you say a long keel then a rudder.  Two masted ketch the only fault is that the rear mast sits and holds down the main access cabin.  She has a motor as well, as it is scaled down from full size.
regards
Roy

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 10:21:26 pm »

Roy thank you for another useful suggestion, it is appreciated. I have had a look and it is an elegant model. The idea is to identify a model that is ready to go or as a kit that the Clubs One Metre and DF 95 racers can purchase or build to race through the Summer when the weed is bad - so it’s needs to be readily available and one that other clubs use so that more races can be held, at the moment the Canterbury J and the Nottingham 48 appear to be the front runners, so if there are other options to throw in the mix they would be most welcome.

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 06:22:47 am »

8 meter class raced at Poole radio yacht club & a few others are good for this. see their website for details.
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 10:05:27 am »

Wow Poole really is a busy club with great facilities- will research the 8m to see how widely available they are, I have seen one before fitted out to look like a scale yacht rather than a racing yacht, it was very attractive

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 07:19:58 am »

Re the 8 metre yacht, it appears that Poole and Chichester have the majority of the 50 that were made and that they were purchased from two other Clubs, here is the information that I have found on what looks to be a great boat. The following is posted on Chichester’s web site - “[size=inherit]Full scale 8 Metre boats - meaning 8 metres at the waterline - go back to around 1907 and they proved extremely popular with around 140 being built around Europe during the first seven years alone. It was a time of very rapid boat development and equally rapid evolution of class rules. At one stage 'Metre Boats' were allowed one foot of beam for every metre of waterline length, a possibly unique combination of metric and imperial in an International Rule.[/size][/size][/color][size=inherit]Current 8M boats derive from a model obtained 5-10 years ago by Robin Edgar and Alan Woodroffe of the Southwater Dabblers MBC who thought it was based on a J-Class. However, it was later found that what they had was a model of a Fife 8 Metre instead. In any event, the boat remained of great interest because the hull shape and relatively low draught makes it an excellent choice for shallow waters and especially for ponds with bad weed. They used the model to create some 50+ hulls.”[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.