Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A KY model Norden becomes “Aberdeen Pilot Boat"  (Read 2639 times)

RST

A KY model Norden becomes “Aberdeen Pilot Boat"
« on: July 02, 2022, 12:33:20 am »

Hi,

A KY model Norden fishing boat kit becomes an “Aberdeen Pilot Boat” -not really close enough to boats 1 or 2 before so hypothetically pilot No 3 I think is probably more appropriate.

No rush to complete, I'll update in due course when I manage more on it.  It's all freelance based on pictures using the Norden hull and a few bits from that kit...

Richard

hama

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A KY model Norden becomes “Aberdeen Pilot Boat"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 08:56:13 am »

Wow, looks great!!
Will follow with interest.
Hama

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 05:35:57 pm »

Nice conversion Rich.

Looking forward to the next instalment.  :-))

Alan
Alan

RST

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 07:07:43 pm »

Thanks folks,

I'm not using the KY kit contents very effectively so far, but the hull is the main starting point for me which was close-enough to No 1 and 2 to start from:

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/media/aberdeen-pilot-boat.141386/

https://www.shipphotos.co.uk/ship/?ship=aberdeenpilotboatno2

• Changed the prop-shaft for a more normal threaded 4mm version (cut-down slim-line 4" shaft from Caldercraft)
  • The supplied 3 pole 380/400 motor put in the spares box straight away again and subsituted with an MFA RE385  Unfortunatey the beautiful rubber coupler sized for 3 and 2.3mm is sat spare (I can't find these listed anywhere, they must be a Chiness market thing).  Used the more normal Huco type universal joint instead
  • The supplied wooden mount for the rudder servo was enlarged from the size for the supplied 9g servo to a 17g servo
  • I didn't need to, but changed the rudder for something looking much more prototypical
  • The deck house on the Aberdeen pilot 1 and 2 is down to deck level, I added an extension forwards so I can create a waterproof coaming big enough for easy-access to batteries etc. inside as well as a hatch forwards under the forwards hatch and railings
  • Am afraid I wiped out most places of the old Robbe 40mm flat brass stanchions that were left as I realised I didn't have enough to complete (or for future models)
...I'm working away allot at the moment so updates will probably be sporadic, but you get the idea if it inspires any others!

PS:  The adverts for the KY models Norden are somewhat confusing.  Most of the specifications dictate 470'odd mm LOA and a 380 size motor.  But, all the pictures show a 3-D printed hull, much smaller, and a 130 flat motor in the parts!  Thanks to Alan for sending me pics of the actual kit contents after procrastinating to start this project for probably a year until I knew exactly what was expecting.

Thanks,

Rich

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 01:28:45 am »

Are European Pilot boats round in the stern?

RST

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 01:49:40 am »

Are European Pilot boats round in the stern?

Hi Bill.  Not always.  The one I model here follows a traditional UK fishing boat style hullform (I forget the designers).  Many pilot boats of a certain age and type did because the hull form of some fishing boats are seaworthy at the size required.  Perhaps one of the most famous hull forms in the UK for a pilot boat is the "Nelson 40" which is semi-displacement with a transom stern and is quite legendary over the period it was made.  Basically, pick any pilot boat at any point in time and they will be different from the next one, and the next one in a different place round the coastline.  Berwick in the UK (and I think another port I can't remember now) uses or used to use an ex-RNLI Waveney class lifeboat you will probably know better as the 44' MLB.  I'm very slowly converting a small Billings kit Waveney lifeboat to a Pilot -just to be different!.

https://portofberwick.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/St-boisil-1-e1592908954220-1024x577.jpg

Here's a pic of "The Blue Toon" I knew it very well watching it pick up and drop-off pilot in and out of Peterhead many times when I was offshore -much less impressive than many pilot boat designs -but does the job!

http://www.trawlerpictures.net/gallery/image/19320-blue-toon/

Here is is a couple of pics of of Nelson 40's:

https://editorial01.shutterstock.com/wm-preview-1500/5729233c/42012979/Shutterstock_5729233c.jpg

https://www.shipspottersteve.com/uploads/1/6/9/2/16921916/2681852_orig.jpg

I think this is the pilot for my closest port here now out of Invergordon.  I've been out of working offshore a while -the last boat sure didn't look like this, but times change!

https://www.bairdmaritime.com/wp-content/uploads/220308-9-Safehaven-Marine.jpg

...I have a bit of a penchant for UK pilot boats rather than other designs.  One HFM Copy (Speedline) Nelson 40 and another original HFM kit I bought badly made and in bits as not sure how to sort it out.  One H.A. kits kind of Nelson looking Aerokits / Lesro kit but not quite a copy.  One little Billings Waveney conversion as a total work in progress.  I also have another fishing boat hull in the cupboard that is prime candidate for another more traditional 1980's pilot boat I found pics of on the internet which is spooky-similar to the hull I have ("rounded" stern also).

...I've possibly got more "pilots" at at home than the sum of those at the local airport in Inverness and the port in Invergordon LoL.

Rich

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 02:15:57 am »

Hi Rich,
 So typical around the world. Boats serving the same purpose vary widely in their design. Also using what you have for a different purpose is admirable. Here’s a U.S. design, C. Raymond Hunt, Pilot boat I completed this winter.

RST

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 02:35:56 am »

Hi Bill,

Sorry, I expanded my last post on your question then you posted yours after.  I was watching you build on RC groups all the time while you were away and then back home.  I must say it looked allot better when you got home and raised the front hand rails.  It looks great now!

...My adaptation for an Aberdeen based boat not is not so admirable.  I've basically taken a very worthy kit and discarded most of it!  But I don't enjoy making displacement type hulls from scratch so the kit hull is worth allot to me.

I was chuckling all time before at your project as my mind automatically re-aligns to the name "Raymond C. Hunt" which must be very carefully spoken!  It wasn't until recently I checked them out on Google.  I imagine they get lots of phone calls.  He he.

Not to play top trumps but here are a couple of not great pics of my Nelson type boats so far...

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 02:40:33 am »

Some fine! More detailed than mine for certain.  I certainly don’t know but seems to me the length to beam ratios for Pilot boats is quite large to accommodate speed & seakeeping.
 Sounds like you have quite a lot of experience with & observation of Pilot boat performance.  We’re you/ are you a Master?

RST

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 03:00:29 am »

Hi, not sure "some fine...."what?  The ratio I would have thought is relatively small rather than big?  But not too different from many hullforms around the size and speed they are.  They are generally good sea handling boats to get out there in heavy chop but If it's too rough the bigger vessel might not be able to berth anyway.  And no point in them being any faster than the vessels they have to serve.  I think I see the biggest differences across the board in design over the years is in terms of safety and more ergonomic designs on how to deposit a person over the side up a ladder safely but equally, how to pull someone out of the drink also.  That said, in the bigger ports with ever more traffic I can understand why pilot tenders are faster and more efficient between drop-offs and collections.

Having said that the Lerwick pilot last time I was there came out on a multi-use tug / workboat design.  I forget the name but I'll post up if I find it.

RST

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2022, 03:09:34 am »

Think this was it, the "Knab" -a multi-use boat with some towing gear, a hefty-enough looking HIAB for the size of boat, and I notice some Fi-Fi capacity which makes sense in such a remote harbour and close proximity to Sullom Voe terminal...

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/the-lerwick-pilot-boat-knab-gm1050889162-280992367

....hmm, gives me an idea for a project if I can get a hull close-enough to match!

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2022, 03:30:32 am »

Some fine build was what I meant. New Englander syntax.
Seems like the beginning of an educational discussion. My opportunity to learn more about Pilot boats. Talk tomorrow.

RST

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2022, 08:12:54 pm »

Some very small progress on this.  Wheelhouse now primed (Halfords plastic filler primer), filled and sanded, re-primed and process repeated a good few times LoL.  Not an amazingly neat job but good enough now to start painting proper I think.  This photo I like, it doesn't show all the mess and me not filling some of the joins in the window frames -but from 1m or so I don't think anyone will notice!
Rich

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2022, 09:23:05 pm »

Coming on nicely Rich. Interesting subject. Looks ok to me on full zoom. :-)) :-))

Alan
Alan

RST

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2022, 09:34:16 pm »

Hi,

I'm a bit closer to how this will look at the end now.  I have some paint down, mostly on the deck house which is almost finished.  First paint on deck done but I'm terrible for changing my mind and after the first coat I decided to fit anti-slip "durbar" plate after all so they are secured in place now and I'll have to re-paint everythig as a first coat on-deck.

I was not sure, but tried to print some navigation lamps for the mast.  They came-out very well enough at about 4,5mm across the base and 5mm high!  Bit coarser than a resin print but I just cant do resin printing here for the mess and clean-up in a flat.  Certainly cheaper than buying them and by the time they are painted will look fine.

The two deck hatches are done bt not fitted here.  I foolishy used a cheap brush that dropped hairs and an old tin of satin black that had contaminates in it  and ever-since I'm struggling to re-paint afrer sanding them out again.  I may just re-make them.
I re-made my rudder.  My first one was entirely printed.  This one is another print in two halves in ABS solvent welded together but has a 4mm brass tube sandwiched inbetween.  I'm re-using the 3mm stainless rudder stock and tiller arm from the KY kit.  I drilled the rudder with a matching hole in the rudder stock and will press a small pin in place to secure the rudder on the shaft when it's all ready for final assembly as the 3mm rod can only be inserted from bottom-up now.  That way I have a small-chance of stripping out the rudder in future -just in case.  There are still some striations to sort at the moment -the rudder isn't finished yet but I'm just impressed I managed to drill it accurate enough so far as I've only cheap basic tools.  My fist drill bit wasn't going anywhere in the stainless rudderstock.  When I looked at the bit afterwards it seems to have been so cheap it's actually twised and the first part bent back in the opposite twist direction and was blunt as ****.  I think that was one out the box of my Aldi micro drill kit, that bit now now binned LoL!

...I have a very bad worry for finishing-off the deck house.  It really needs the window frames picking out in black.  These days my fingers are not so nimble -I'm really tempted the bite the bullet and call a couple of local architectural firms and see if they can paint them as it will really make a difference if it is done as crisp and neat as possible.

PS:  Am almost done cleaning the kitchen after some quick sprays in my box with yellow filler then white primer!  The stuff gets everywhere.

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2022, 09:51:27 am »

Fantastic job Rich.

Great transformation and attention to detail. You are right about the windows. It’s small details like this that make a world of difference. Wish I would have spent more time on the windows on the puffer. Really good job on the rudder, it’s come out well.

Alan
Alan

RST

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2022, 01:26:14 am »

Hi Edging closer, little bits at a time as and when.  Lots of bits are just plonked in place so please excuse anything that looks wonky or not right...

I think I'll do a working radar on this one as there's little else for exitement:

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,68627.msg743532/topicseen.html#msg743532

I have a quandry what to do for rubber fendering (I wouldn't normally split posts but I thought thisone was reasonable to split-out):

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,68626.msg743519/topicseen.html#msg743519

I've half-finished some linear wipers.  The arms and blades are just some 1mm brass rod bend and soldered to shape.  Then offered-up dry-fit and trimmed, positioned and the arms bent to fit the angles involved (not complicated).  They'll look "about right" when finished and painted.

Rich

RST

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2022, 02:01:45 am »

I foolishy used a cheap brush that dropped hairs and an old tin of satin black that had contaminates in it  and ever-since I'm struggling to re-paint afrer sanding them out again.  I may just re-make them.

...I didn't add a pic before but this was the mess.  Simple mistake but I know better!!!!  I have to remember what pot that paint was now and "quarantine" it -it was pretty much used anyway.

RST

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 09:37:06 pm »

Hello there,

So off-and-on I tinker a bit more.  Much thanks go to Nemesis who E-Mailed me pics for inspiration.  It's coming together now.  I have been working on the deck house first, then from the deck-down (nothing is fixed to the deck yet so I can remove bits for turning upside down and painting the hull).

There's a few bits of spotting up to do but top-sides are done now.  I fully admit it's not going to win any medals -but I think it looks OK from normal distance as a stand-off freelance model.  I just could not get masking tape to sit right to start painting the deck-edge.  So took the plunge and started freehand but I stopped once starboard was done tonight as it was going too well to tempt fate and continue.

I decided to stick with tyre fenders along the sides.  I raided my stock of dinky tyres -and ordered a few more to finish this and another couple of models.  They are much cheaper than ones sold for model boats and a bit smaller in diameter.  I don't have much success getting them to sit right but I've a few ideas and will leave this job to last anyway.

Hope the update gives some inspiration to anyone else interested.

Rich

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2022, 02:36:15 am »

Excellent!
Hama

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2022, 03:35:43 am »

Rich.....based upon the [US] Nav-light list from Umi, I wondered about the 5 fwd facing lights here......is there additional lights for [UK] Rules & Regs?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RST

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 08:48:33 pm »

Hello and sorry I'm away from home until this weekend so no modelling being done.

As for nav lights, if you look at the link I started with to the real Pilot Boat No 2. you can see there are three red so that's what I followed (you could argue one of the others should be more yellow than white though).  I can probably pick half a dozen different pilot boats from my stash of various photos and all of them will probably have different confgurations of mast lamps fitted so I just tend to go with something that looks right and not worry too much.

Rich

...I managed to get the first coats of red antifoul on the hull before I left home the other week.  I can't remember whether this was after the second or third coat.

RST

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2022, 09:48:37 pm »

Hi,

Slowly coming together for anyone still interested.

Painting of the hull mostly done.  Flew slips with masking to sort out but not too bad -the pics look better than reality!

Fendering and tyres to come once I figure out how.

Rich

PS:  Found my full plans for this in my parents loft the other week.  Could have done with them moths ago but c'es la vie!

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2022, 01:31:24 am »

Still interested! She looks fantastic.
Hama
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.