The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Working Vessels

A KY model Norden becomes “Aberdeen Pilot Boat"

<< < (3/5) > >>

RST:
Think this was it, the "Knab" -a multi-use boat with some towing gear, a hefty-enough looking HIAB for the size of boat, and I notice some Fi-Fi capacity which makes sense in such a remote harbour and close proximity to Sullom Voe terminal...

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/the-lerwick-pilot-boat-knab-gm1050889162-280992367

....hmm, gives me an idea for a project if I can get a hull close-enough to match!

chum444:
Some fine build was what I meant. New Englander syntax.
Seems like the beginning of an educational discussion. My opportunity to learn more about Pilot boats. Talk tomorrow.

RST:
Some very small progress on this.  Wheelhouse now primed (Halfords plastic filler primer), filled and sanded, re-primed and process repeated a good few times LoL.  Not an amazingly neat job but good enough now to start painting proper I think.  This photo I like, it doesn't show all the mess and me not filling some of the joins in the window frames -but from 1m or so I don't think anyone will notice!
Rich

Alan52:
Coming on nicely Rich. Interesting subject. Looks ok to me on full zoom. :-)) :-))

Alan

RST:
Hi,

I'm a bit closer to how this will look at the end now.  I have some paint down, mostly on the deck house which is almost finished.  First paint on deck done but I'm terrible for changing my mind and after the first coat I decided to fit anti-slip "durbar" plate after all so they are secured in place now and I'll have to re-paint everythig as a first coat on-deck.

I was not sure, but tried to print some navigation lamps for the mast.  They came-out very well enough at about 4,5mm across the base and 5mm high!  Bit coarser than a resin print but I just cant do resin printing here for the mess and clean-up in a flat.  Certainly cheaper than buying them and by the time they are painted will look fine.

The two deck hatches are done bt not fitted here.  I foolishy used a cheap brush that dropped hairs and an old tin of satin black that had contaminates in it  and ever-since I'm struggling to re-paint afrer sanding them out again.  I may just re-make them.
I re-made my rudder.  My first one was entirely printed.  This one is another print in two halves in ABS solvent welded together but has a 4mm brass tube sandwiched inbetween.  I'm re-using the 3mm stainless rudder stock and tiller arm from the KY kit.  I drilled the rudder with a matching hole in the rudder stock and will press a small pin in place to secure the rudder on the shaft when it's all ready for final assembly as the 3mm rod can only be inserted from bottom-up now.  That way I have a small-chance of stripping out the rudder in future -just in case.  There are still some striations to sort at the moment -the rudder isn't finished yet but I'm just impressed I managed to drill it accurate enough so far as I've only cheap basic tools.  My fist drill bit wasn't going anywhere in the stainless rudderstock.  When I looked at the bit afterwards it seems to have been so cheap it's actually twised and the first part bent back in the opposite twist direction and was blunt as ****.  I think that was one out the box of my Aldi micro drill kit, that bit now now binned LoL!

...I have a very bad worry for finishing-off the deck house.  It really needs the window frames picking out in black.  These days my fingers are not so nimble -I'm really tempted the bite the bullet and call a couple of local architectural firms and see if they can paint them as it will really make a difference if it is done as crisp and neat as possible.

PS:  Am almost done cleaning the kitchen after some quick sprays in my box with yellow filler then white primer!  The stuff gets everywhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version