The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Working Vessels

A KY model Norden becomes “Aberdeen Pilot Boat"

<< < (2/5) > >>

RST:

--- Quote from: chum444 on July 23, 2022, 01:28:45 am ---Are European Pilot boats round in the stern?

--- End quote ---

Hi Bill.  Not always.  The one I model here follows a traditional UK fishing boat style hullform (I forget the designers).  Many pilot boats of a certain age and type did because the hull form of some fishing boats are seaworthy at the size required.  Perhaps one of the most famous hull forms in the UK for a pilot boat is the "Nelson 40" which is semi-displacement with a transom stern and is quite legendary over the period it was made.  Basically, pick any pilot boat at any point in time and they will be different from the next one, and the next one in a different place round the coastline.  Berwick in the UK (and I think another port I can't remember now) uses or used to use an ex-RNLI Waveney class lifeboat you will probably know better as the 44' MLB.  I'm very slowly converting a small Billings kit Waveney lifeboat to a Pilot -just to be different!.

https://portofberwick.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/St-boisil-1-e1592908954220-1024x577.jpg

Here's a pic of "The Blue Toon" I knew it very well watching it pick up and drop-off pilot in and out of Peterhead many times when I was offshore -much less impressive than many pilot boat designs -but does the job!

http://www.trawlerpictures.net/gallery/image/19320-blue-toon/

Here is is a couple of pics of of Nelson 40's:

https://editorial01.shutterstock.com/wm-preview-1500/5729233c/42012979/Shutterstock_5729233c.jpg

https://www.shipspottersteve.com/uploads/1/6/9/2/16921916/2681852_orig.jpg

I think this is the pilot for my closest port here now out of Invergordon.  I've been out of working offshore a while -the last boat sure didn't look like this, but times change!

https://www.bairdmaritime.com/wp-content/uploads/220308-9-Safehaven-Marine.jpg

...I have a bit of a penchant for UK pilot boats rather than other designs.  One HFM Copy (Speedline) Nelson 40 and another original HFM kit I bought badly made and in bits as not sure how to sort it out.  One H.A. kits kind of Nelson looking Aerokits / Lesro kit but not quite a copy.  One little Billings Waveney conversion as a total work in progress.  I also have another fishing boat hull in the cupboard that is prime candidate for another more traditional 1980's pilot boat I found pics of on the internet which is spooky-similar to the hull I have ("rounded" stern also).

...I've possibly got more "pilots" at at home than the sum of those at the local airport in Inverness and the port in Invergordon LoL.

Rich

chum444:
Hi Rich,
 So typical around the world. Boats serving the same purpose vary widely in their design. Also using what you have for a different purpose is admirable. Here’s a U.S. design, C. Raymond Hunt, Pilot boat I completed this winter.

RST:
Hi Bill,

Sorry, I expanded my last post on your question then you posted yours after.  I was watching you build on RC groups all the time while you were away and then back home.  I must say it looked allot better when you got home and raised the front hand rails.  It looks great now!

...My adaptation for an Aberdeen based boat not is not so admirable.  I've basically taken a very worthy kit and discarded most of it!  But I don't enjoy making displacement type hulls from scratch so the kit hull is worth allot to me.

I was chuckling all time before at your project as my mind automatically re-aligns to the name "Raymond C. Hunt" which must be very carefully spoken!  It wasn't until recently I checked them out on Google.  I imagine they get lots of phone calls.  He he.

Not to play top trumps but here are a couple of not great pics of my Nelson type boats so far...

chum444:
Some fine! More detailed than mine for certain.  I certainly don’t know but seems to me the length to beam ratios for Pilot boats is quite large to accommodate speed & seakeeping.
 Sounds like you have quite a lot of experience with & observation of Pilot boat performance.  We’re you/ are you a Master?

RST:
Hi, not sure "some fine...."what?  The ratio I would have thought is relatively small rather than big?  But not too different from many hullforms around the size and speed they are.  They are generally good sea handling boats to get out there in heavy chop but If it's too rough the bigger vessel might not be able to berth anyway.  And no point in them being any faster than the vessels they have to serve.  I think I see the biggest differences across the board in design over the years is in terms of safety and more ergonomic designs on how to deposit a person over the side up a ladder safely but equally, how to pull someone out of the drink also.  That said, in the bigger ports with ever more traffic I can understand why pilot tenders are faster and more efficient between drop-offs and collections.

Having said that the Lerwick pilot last time I was there came out on a multi-use tug / workboat design.  I forget the name but I'll post up if I find it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version