Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lindberg 1/32 MTB PT-109  (Read 14486 times)

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lindberg 1/32 MTB PT-109
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2022, 08:32:16 am »

Hi Kiyo,

I have followed your build log with great interest, it was a real pleasure. I knew that it would turn out right, well done :-))  Who did those stunning photos, was it your wife?

Regards

Arno

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2022, 03:23:28 pm »

Hi Arno.

Soo glad to have your warm- hearted compliment on my trial run. %% :-)) :-)) :-))
Yes, I asked my wife to take the video recording this time too.

It was windy anyhow as you could easily imagine how strong it was from the wave in the pics below.
And the hull and 8 crews were completely drenched "to the skin" through very rough waves in continuous pitching motion.
Rear gunner was as if just taking a bath in the seat since the water had come in the half of the enclosure.!! {-) {-) {-)
However, all the crews were safe enough to be able to come back not injured, together with the hull with one part of siren lost. {:-{ 

Thanks again, Arno.

Kiyo

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2022, 06:31:25 am »

Hi all.

Today I attached an interesting video of the test run taken place yesterday.
Anyhow everything was terrible for a "happy maiden voyage?", cold, windy, rough waves, waiting time of 1.5hours under the cold weather. {-) {-) {-) %% %% :embarrassed: <:( >:-o >>:-( :o :D :embarrassed: :-))

Please feel, imagine and enjoy the atmosphere of the spot by the sound of wave recorded throughout the video below. !!! :-)) :-)) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgcZgVvkZIs

"The wind was too strong to start the run now, watch the wind meter..." {:-{ :(( >:-o <:(

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2022, 07:35:13 am »

Great footage! Now you know that the boat performs well even in rough conditions. I would have been too anxious to get out the model in such a strong wind. Well done :-)) ok2

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2022, 12:27:16 pm »

A great thanks for your comment on my video, Arno.
Fortunately or unfortunately, I have been used to this kind of rough conditions from my experience as to how I should
operate the RC boat, but this time the anxiety was only that this was the first time to sail this boat.
Therefore, I did not know at all what sort of movements the PT109 would exhibit against the rough waves and strong wind previously....
Only one thing that I was anxious about was that the boat should be likely to capsize when in turn at high speed by the waves and wind accidentally... <*< O0
However, she was soo stable even in the rough conditions. Especially she hardly showed unstable rolling when in turn, while
some of other PT boats on the internet had shown very unstable turns as to touch the water surface with the decks at the angle of over 45 degrees even at calm water .. !!!!! {-)

My lipo battery this time was .27kg while the boat weight was 2.1kg. The battery could only be the ballast and I put it just on the lowest position in the hull for fear of the capsize in the windy lake.
Anyhow, it was really adventure and risky sailing in recent days, but I was a bit confident and relied on her.... {-) {-) {-) :embarrassed: :D
But I never intend to sail this boat any more in such a rough water simply because it's not interesting to RC operate.!! :-))

Kiyo

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2022, 05:16:11 am »

Bilge keels I added for this boat this time made an effective job apparently as I had imagined it to be so previously. :-)) :embarrassed:
You may notice the clear difference of shapes of waves driven out from the hull bottom.
The shapes of waves by the bilge keels are generally neater and sharper as well as smoothly flowed back to rear, mostly forming clear and flat arch on both sides.!  O0

1/2/3; The first Pt109 I built many years ago, without bilge keels
4/5/6/7; Present Pt109 tested two days ago, with bilge keels

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2022, 11:20:57 am »

Pics for today are the pipe framework for the front gunner.
I thought this had to be added because the real boat had been set with, and it's too strange and dangerous for the gunner without the frame. {-) O0 %%
1; Something strange and dangerous...Don't you think so?
2; Made of brass and aluminum
3/4/5: Bent, painted and glued with CA and epoxies
6; Overcoming the big waves... :-)) O0 {-)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2022, 12:17:47 pm »

The frame is to stop the gunner firing on his own crew, it forces him to raise the gun when it might point at others or the superstructure.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2022, 01:40:33 pm »

Hi Jim.

Thanks a lot again for teaching me of the significance of the pipe frame. :-))
I didn't know it at all, but I thought it a handrail or a body protector not to fall onto the deck accidentally....  {-) %% :embarrassed:
Meanwhile, the frame should be the case as I thought of, the shape looked so strange for me.... {-) {-) {-)
It may be called "firing angle limiter" or "firing scope limiter" which I just thought or translated after those of IJN warships of WW2.

Kiyo

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2022, 05:55:04 am »

I took some pics of my PT109 in commemoration of completion in the background of the kit box on which she had been actively illustrated just like the real boat.? :embarrassed: O0 {-) %% :-))
My model seemed to have shown the seaworthiness unexpectedly in the maiden voyage. {-) O0 :-))
In this sense, the trial run ended in success.!!! :-)) :-)) :-))
 A scale warship added to fast boat makes an MTB for me at this time.!!! :-))

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2022, 08:04:04 am »

Well, this time, I took many commemorative pics on the water where was soooo calm due to no wind unlike 5 days ago.!!
The surface of the lake was just like a mirror.!!! %%     Sooo suitable for the trial sailing.!!!! :-)) :-)) :-)) %% %% %%

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2022, 08:25:29 am »

The fourth and the sixth pictures from above are my favourites, looks just like the real one! :-)) :-)) :-))

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2022, 11:45:29 am »

Thanks a lot, Arno!!
I also do like the ones. As you imagine these pics were taken nearly from the water level and I think the pics seem to show
typical shape of Elco 80 MTB very well. :-))
Enjoying the pics of sailing and/or static scenes of the RC ships/ boats on the water is interesting, isn't it.? O0 :-)) :D

Kiyo

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2022, 12:07:21 pm »

Yes Kiyo, but you had to lay down on the ground to take those photos?! %% {-)  I might do the same at our club pond some day when nobody is watching me {-)  This perspective is very realistic.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2022, 02:01:34 pm »

Oh, you must be joking, Arno.. {-) I just only held my camera nearly 1 cm above the water level and just pushed the switch on. {-)  I like this angle and view. :-))
This lake is just like the ocean for the RC boats so that every shot of Rc boat looks so realistic.
However, the ocean and the waves are 1/1 while my PT109 is 1/32 by which difference it's sooo hard to sail the model boats as nearly realistic as possible... {-) {-) {-) O0 O0 O0 

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2022, 10:47:20 am »

It was a really really fine day yesterday for me to make the second trial run as I had already suffered an unlucky weather for the long-waited maiden voyage.... <:( >>:-( >:-o :-X
But this time, not to mention, the weather was not an issue for the test run at all. Everything was up to the performance of the boat itself. O0
After the test, I reviewed the performance of my PT109 based upon the static images carefully and FAVORABLY to me.!! {-) {-) %% :D :D

1; Draining of cooling water at starboard looked perfect. :-))
2; Draining at port side OK as well :-))  Attention to the ejected water from the hull bottom forming an impressive shape. :D
3; Effect of bilge keel looked Ok judging from the shape of sharp and neat wave flowing from the hull bottom. :-))
4; Running straight at speed of 3/4 throttle looked OK. :-))
5; Turning starboard at 3/4 throttle speed. Inclined angle looked within a safety scope and stable turning confirmed in the video. :-))
6; The same as above at port side turning. :-))
7; Hi speed running was sooo stable. :-))
8; Attention to the shape of wave at starboard like a tunnel / arch of wave or water caused by the bilge keel. O0 {-)
9; My most favorite shot :embarrassed:
10; She did a very very good job this time in the calm water. :-)) :-)) :-))

Overall impression was that she performed like and as a MTB on the water. :-)) :-)) :-))
And sailing was so calm even at 3/4 throttle on the calm water, which is indispensable for us to enjoy the sailing at our local boating site. O0 :-)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2022, 12:08:06 pm »

Good to see the cooling system works Backerther.  O0  Can clearly see this on the calm weather photos but not apparent in the last two of reply post 84. How much throttle is requored to get them to work?

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2022, 01:43:46 pm »

Hi Ian.

So glad to have your comment and a question.
I have not confirmed it precisely but, I think it around a half throttle.
I make it a practise to sail this PT109 well over the half throttle to enjoy realistic fast speed so that cooling water is easy to
go out of the hull sides when sailing, by which the motors are well cooled in a less than about 8-minute running even at that speed.  O0

1; Draining could be slightly confirmed at both sides.
2; Starboard draining could be seen.
3; This is possibly reduced to the half throttle for turning safely near the shore. Draining is not vigorous partly because this side is a bit up by the inclination... O0

Kiyo

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2022, 07:17:21 am »

I uploaded a video of the second trial run into you-tube as below. ;D
Attention to the waves ejected from the hull bottom forming a tidy and long lump caused by the bilge keel. O0 %%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haM7-DmXk7o

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2022, 08:05:13 am »

HI  KIYO
your pt boat looks great on the wet stuff very realistic :-))
chrisb

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2022, 09:40:38 am »

Hi Chris,

So glad to have your kind comment on my PT109.!! :-))

Kiyo

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2022, 08:45:18 am »

My PT109 is now fundamentally complete as a RC converted running model boat from a mere pla-model PT boat.
Final detailing that I wished to add was done with the rear gunner's firing scope limit frames as seen below.
However, more trial runs to be a truly practical RC running model as to sail on our large lake are still to continue until I am satisfied with the contents, through which she would be what I have been expecting to be as a scale fast boat and at that time this boat should be regarded as literally "COMPLETE" in my understanding.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) {-) {-) {-) %% %% %%

1/2; Added firing scope limit frames in the rear gunner's seat
3; Latest midship
4; Work bench before starting to build the boat to come in the kit form.!   Covering papers of the bench is clearly white.!
5/6; Got dirty through more than 4 months building process. {-) {-) O0
7; I stripped the papers.!
8; New white papers replaced the old ones. O0
9; And she has come back on the new and clear white papers of the work bench by which she looks more beautiful.??? :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) O0 O0 {-) {-) {-) %% %% %%

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2022, 07:37:05 am »

I added an on-board V meter briefly to my PT109 for safer sailing on our lake, by which I could confirm the battery conditions whenever necessary of this fast RC boat to run on the large lake. O0 :-))
This is partly because the boat is powered by one pack of 5000mAh Lipo to run two Mabuchi 540 motors which I think is insufficient to run close to 10 minutes especially on the large lake..... {:-{ {:-{ {:-{
With this addition of the V meter, I could confirm the battery conditions at an intermediate point of 5 minuts to judge whether or not the battery should be changed.
As you easily imagine, I never and never want the battery to have been exhausted fully and suddenly on the lake like 50 m or more off the shore.!! <:( >>:-( <*< :o :o :o    However, I always make it a practise to carry a rubber made rescue boat to swell fully in less than 10 minutes.!! O0 O0 O0  I am one of experienced RC boaters to have the battery exhausted  fully in a windy and cloudy day at the large lake with my mighty Jupiter F-99 many years ago.
I was completely absorbed in the operation itself to control properly the boat in the rough waves in that time.... {:-{ {:-{ :embarrassed: :embarrassed: <:( %% {-) {-)

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2022, 08:50:03 am »

I could have a very nice chance today to make the third trial run of this PT109 to check the fully stable running in terms of motor revolution and receiving of radio waves.
And the boat could successfully meet my wish perfectly which I confirmed by the video finally in addition to my eyes. :-)) :-)
The video will be shown here later but I will just post the pics of the trial run.  O0 ok2
1; Very stable and reliable running today.
2; Twin screws naturally worked stably as before.  {-)
3; Turned to starboard at high speed stably as before.
4; Cooling water drained perfectly at starboard as before.
5; The same on the port side. And the motors were well cooled by the water regardless of continuous high-speed running.
6; High speed turn is just under way.
7; A very high-speed straight run is starting.
8; Front view
9; "You did a very good job and fulfilled my wish this time completely, I did not feel any anxiety to sail on the lake at all.!" :-)) :-)) :-)) O0 {-) %%

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2022, 06:37:03 pm »

Looking great  :-))

My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 21 queries.