Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me which kit this Perkasa was made from  (Read 1360 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Can anyone tell me which kit this Perkasa was made from
« on: July 03, 2022, 12:14:34 pm »

Hi all, I have a hardly used model of Perkasa (correct me if I am wrong) As far as I know it is at least 30 years old and was built from a kit.
Does anyone know which kit it was made from?

It is at least 30 years old and was given to me maybe 10 years ago and has stayed in its box.  It was made by the one time assistant editor of Aeromodelling magazine.  It is very well made with the rear gun able to rotate.  Length 30.4 inches and 8 inches beam.
I am about to activate the radio in it, A Futaba 40 Mhtz 5 ch. Rx with a Hitec 'Gold block' esc.  So I will also need a rx battery.
I am getting some of my older models going again and this number 4 with more to go.
Rgards
Roy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Can anyone tell me which kit this Perkasa was made from
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 01:24:10 pm »

Don’t think it’s a Perkasa. Looks more like an American Higgins PT boat from WW2.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 02:09:06 pm »

Thats a very well built model - 30 years old and looks as good as new.

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 03:28:02 pm »

Don’t think it’s a Perkasa. Looks more like an American Higgins PT boat from WW2.

Agree Nick bridge is wrong for Perkasa, also they never had that turret bin at the stern

Bob
I will finish this model

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 03:48:48 pm »

Not a Higgins, an Elco 80-footer.  From https://naval-encyclopedia.com/ww2/us/PT-Boats.php

Elco also made a 77 footer that looked very similar to the RAF whaleback rescue launches.
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 04:47:52 pm »

Hi there, there are 2 manufacturers who spring to mind - the well known Aero Kits did one - and a Company named Dumas they did one also.   I think Dumas' were supposed to be John F Kennedy Elco 109.   I know you can obtain a plastic kit of this one & it is modern - but this dates round about the 70s/80s for the wooden kits - .   Here are a couple of pics from Model Boats magazine.

As I have been reading a few more adverts in 'older' Model Boats magazines, January 1995 has an advert for Model Dockyard - and in the advert - it advertises a Battlefleet P136 Elco at 80 ft F.P.B. 1/24 scale 40 inches.  There is no price in the advert though - so this could be another kit of some description.
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 05:41:34 pm »

Hi all thanks for the illuminating response.  The kit would have been one sent to the magazine mentioned at a guess in the early '90s, and as I said built by one of the staff.  I did visit the offices when they were in Hemel Hempstead and I think all the magazines with staff were together on the same floor. 

I went to see John Cudell and that would have been in 1992.  Was Aeromodeller published by the Model Boats publishers?

It really is a well built model and has existed in its box for all that time. Hence the relative newness of the model.  She has a rather large propellor on at the moment and I need to check the speed as I would like to run at scale speed without screaming round the lake.

Brushed motor looks like an anonymous 540 but I have a selection if that needs to be changed.  Later I will put up a 'battleship' for identification, this is a simplistic model but again very nicely made.

Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 06:07:43 pm »

She does look a lot like the Aerokits PT101 but that kit has a 40 inch hull.
Roy

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 06:44:56 pm »

Hi there

I know you say this is a kit, however, I wonder has it been built from a plan?

I do know there are several modellers who build from plans and when you look at the internals of the model & etc - the construction - you could swear it was built from a kit - but in actual fact the model has been built from a plan.   Just a thought....here is a link to a plan for the Elco.

ELCO PT Boat MM1499 - Sarik Hobbies - for the Model Builder

John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 06:59:46 pm »

Hi John I think you may well be correct, thanks.  The magazine it is in is Model Boats Oct. 1999.

The cruncher for me is the position of the dinghy just in front of the bridge, not positioned like that in other models I have looked at.
Looks like that also explains the lack of a kit of that size.  The scale is 1 : 32 which looks good for this model, so just 23 years old!  The Battleship looks more like a built from plan as well.

Thank you all for your responses and remarks.  The truth is out there.....
Regards to all
Roy

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 07:26:44 pm »

I went to see John Cudell and that would have been in 1992.  Was Aeromodeller published by the Model Boats publishers?

Yes, they were MAP Publications back then.

They did Aeromodeller, Model Boats, Model Cars, Scale Models, RCM&E and some other similar mags as well.
Regards
Kit

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 11:36:08 am »

Well, curiosity killed the cat, that is what they say :-) I had to go and look to see if I have the magazine and it turns out that the article for the build of the Elco PT-Boat and the article was by Glynn Guest and the full build is in the magazine Model Boats November 1999.   The Publishers then were Nexus.   Nexus may be were the ones who ran the magazine after MAP.   Referring to the actual motor set up, if the motor set up in your model is identical to the one in the build, there should be no need to change/tamper with it.   Glynn very rarely gets his motors wrong.  So there should be a good turn of speed on it.   Now all I have to do is find the plans as they are missing from my magazine  <:( .

John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2022, 11:46:11 am »

Hello John thanks for looking. 

The motor in the boat has some sort of orange covering on it and not identified it yet I suspect it may be a 5 pole motor but the shaft is not quite free enough to feel the notches yet.
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2022, 07:32:18 am »

Hi all this is on-going.  The motor is partially seized, i.e. you can turn it over with pliers with some oil on the bearings it freed up a little and then 6 volts had it trying to turn and eventually it was running in fits and starts.  Also it had some dead spots.  Not good news.  I decided to remove the motor and that is when I found I was covered in this orange dust.  It was like a rust on the motor but shed itself everywhere, floor, me etc.

I was about to discard it when a tiny label was found it was from Deans Marine with an address but no reference to the motor type.  It is 540 in size and 5 pole.  Anyone know which one it is?

A day or so later I retrieved it from the bin and using a couple of small glass jars I poured a lidful of methylated spirits through the motor into one jar, then swapped jars and then re-poured the residue back through the motor.  Did this several times and this freed up the insides, I shook it dry and outside I applied a few volts,  I was not sure if the cleaner might take fire but it did'nt.  It started straight away so oiled the bearings and it ran much better, however now and again the tone of the motor would change and I had been suspicious that an armature coil was not always getting any power.
So I have kept it back but do not trust it!

I fitted another motor which free running was 0.7 amps but when connected up there was a lot of vibration and running current was 2.2 amps.  So I took the motor out and then the U/J.  The U/J was really stiff, it was a red plastic Huco type and seemed to be the main culprit. I found a replacement U/J and reinserted the ends (they were not brass).
  This did reduce the vibration but not by much and it became clear that the screwed down end on the prop shaft was mis-aligned.  On examining it was a relatively short end less than a centimetre showing with a deep groove filed into it to receive the grub screw.  However I think it was causing the grug screw to take the U/J end out of true with the shaft.

So off with the prop and I managed to slide the shaft out past the rudder.  BUT I also noticed that at the rear prop tube bearing the shaft was not plain but threaded for quite a long way!!!   So the lower bearing maybe suspect as well.
I found another prop shaft and inserted it and the bearing feels OK.  I shall fit another prop shaft tomorrow as I do not have one long enough to hand.  This was all meant to be a casual check before getting the RC to work, the escalation was unexpected.  I am proposing to fit a plastic dog bone U/J which I think came from SHG many years ago as I am suspicious of the drive train alignment and the dog bone connection will solve this.

Regards to all
Roy

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2022, 04:22:37 pm »

Hi ya Roy

sounds as though the model may not have been built true to plan, as the plan calls for a home made gear ratio of 2 to 1, using 'old' Graupner gear set - which I tried to see if I could obtain one - but didnt have any luck.   There is a part number for these gears (1113) so, therefore, the builder who made your model - may have opted for the direct drive option - using a 540 can-style motor.  Just out of curiosity here is a photograph of the build so far - I couldn't resist and I have sent for alternative gear ratios from Cornwall Model Boats.   Photograph shows the keel and motor mount bulkhead set up and, if you look closely at the picture, you will see a picture of Glyn's build and you will see the motor set up there which he used.

John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2022, 06:03:31 pm »

Hi John I have a set of those gears but they are very noisy.  They did a set for the 540 and the 380.  I think I will go for the direct drive and adjust prop size to get the load right.
My model is very 'sturdy' with a lot of hardwood, I expect the plan calls for balsa, I will see how she performs with a replacement drive train.  All things being equal may be on the water Wednesday morning.
Let me know how you get on with the gearbox.
Regards
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.