Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug Lady Laura  (Read 1001 times)

DerekB

• Full Mayhemer
Tug Lady Laura
« on: July 03, 2022, 03:49:46 pm »

I have just bought the David Metcalf kit of the tug Lady Laura from the new owners/distributors Tony Green Steam Models.  Checking through the kit I have already found a few problems - the vac-moulding for the 2 halves of the funnel appear to be quite badly distorted and, even when I get round to cutting them out, I feel that they will be almost impossible to join together (the plastic is quite thick): mention is made to refer to construction diagrams but, among all the paperwork and drawings, I can't find any diagrams apart from ones for the rope capstan, the anchor winch and the tow hook (and these are not numbered). I have emailed TGSM with the queries but I was wondering if any members have built or own this model and can help or comment please?  I know that the Lady Laura has been mentioned on Mayhem but not for some time now
Derek.               

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tug Lady Laura
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 10:12:47 am »

I always think the one's I have seen the Nav light housings always look wrong to me.
                  Regards Howard. 

DerekB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 10:51:26 am »

Howard,I'm afraid that the navigation light housings are the least of my concerns about the model at the moment but if you look at photos of the full size 'Lady Laura' I think you will find that the housings on the model are exactly the same.  I have known Dave Metcalf for a good many years now and I would not have expected him to have made a mistake on one of his models, even with something as small as the navigation lights. {:-{ I am still hopeful that someone can help with my original queries. :-)) Derek.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 02:33:56 pm »

Hi Derek,
if you look at the Lady Laura on page 46 of TUGS in colour-uk you will see what I mean there you right shape just all the models I have seen seen look to be put on the wrong way round think it's the instructions what's wrong I even asked Dave once at  a mobile marine model show he was at just makes them look odd to me sorry if am bitching. I do think its a great model tho
          Regards Howard. 

DerekB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 03:24:47 pm »

Hi Howard,Unfortunately I do not have that book, but I will take your word for it.  I have had a look at the drawings and instructions that I have got and they appear to be correct.  The photos of Dave's original model on the DVD included with the kit show that the navigation light housings are correct.   In my internet searches I have found and ordered a copy of Model Boats magazine for September, 2005, which has an article about 'Lady Laura' by Dave Abbott so I will see what that has to say.  Over the years I have found that you will never get a perfect kit for any model - they all have their little problems, just some worse than others.  I was just trying to get my queries solved before I got to the appropriate stage of the build.  By the way, I did not think that you were 'bitching' - all comments are appreciated. :-)) Regards,Derek.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 07:41:12 pm »

Thanks Derek,
 I have a disc some where and a instruction book in the garage so will look at that.
          Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 07:43:49 pm »

I would love to build her as I think it's a great looking Tug but I try and keep to 1:24 scale for my tugs.
             Regards Howard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.