Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAC v AA  (Read 1981 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
RAC v AA
« on: July 03, 2022, 06:57:40 pm »

Hi ya all

Me tyre burst this morning!! so I didnt get to the blinking lake.   Anyway, these days I cannot jump out of the car and change the tyre like I used to.  So, I rely on me son + the RAC.   Anyway, to cut a long story short I had a text to say the RAC wait was 180 minutes....bearing in mind this is about 9.30 a.m. in the morning on a Sunday.  Like I say, I felt the waiting was ridiculous as I am classed as vulnerable/disabled.   My son now wonders if he is the vulnerable one cos of my temper with not being able to do anything with the tyre myself.   Andrew my son changed the tyre with me instructing him what to do etc.    I cancelled the callout of RAC.

I will get a new tyre tomorrow / or get it repaired.

But, what I am after is - your opinions of the breakdown services and response times.   None of us are getting younger and we all have to rely on someone.     I pay an awful lot per month to the RAC and feel 180 minutes is not good.

What are your thoughts and who do you prefer in breakdown cover in the UK?

John  - very 'tyred'
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RAC v AA
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 07:38:10 pm »

John.

Yes, that is not a good level of service. I drive a Mazda 6 which is now on extended warranty which includes roadside assistance but I have fortunately not needed to use it so far. I certainly wouldn't expect to have to wait three hours for assistance.

Colin

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 07:56:25 pm »

HI John well im with the AA an a few months ago had a flat batt over a freinds an called them out an the AA was there in 30 mins of callin cos like you we cant now change a trye as to old an with back trouble an jen has cancer so the AA WAS VERY GOOD
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 08:16:24 pm »

John.

Yes, that is not a good level of service. I drive a Mazda 6 which is now on extended warranty which includes roadside assistance but I have fortunately not needed to use it so far. I certainly wouldn't expect to have to wait three hours for assistance.

Colin

AN HI Colin yes i used to have a mazda 6 TS2 an very nice car as i bought it new but i found the the head lights were not very good did you have this problem ?
chris

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 08:57:27 pm »

Yes, the original headlights were bad. Mine has the LED headlights, far better.

Colin

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 09:29:19 pm »

John.

I drive a Mazda 6 which is now on extended warranty which includes roadside assistance but I have fortunately not needed to use it so far. I certainly wouldn't expect to have to wait three hours for assistance.

Colin
My 3 month old Mazda CX5 automatic failed to start and the manual's only suggestion was to call Mazda Assist. Now Mazda Assist is in fact one of these local garage call-out agencies.  The "mechanic" who arrived 2 hours later had just a voltmeter and a screwdriver, no diagnostic tool to plug into the engine management system.  He declared that the engine would not start and the vehicle would have to be delivered to a Mazda Dealer for further investigation.  Without power, the electric handbrake could not be released and the electric steering was locked, so it required either a recovery truck with a hoist, or one that carried bogies. The only one available in the North West was on duty on the M6 and did not arrive until the next day andd the car was delivered to a Mazda dealer on Thursday afternoon.  On Monday the diagnostics was eventually checked and  reported that the immobliser circuit fuse had blown,and it was duly replaced in a matter of seconds.  The replacement car that the Assist package gives you arrived the day after I got my car back. 

I use a cheap roadside recovery, where I pay the bills and reclaim the costs from the company, the only time i used them Green Flag arrived within a hour to swap a tyre.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 09:50:59 pm »

That's cheered me up no end!  :((

Colin

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 10:49:41 pm »

I've been an RAC member since 1964 and have never had a problem with their call out times.

For a short while I was an AA member as well, because of a leasing agreement for my company car at the time, and they were distinctly worse, specially when it came to being 'recovered'. The RAC collected me and my car and took me where I needed to go in one hop, the AA transferred us from one recovery truck to another until we got to our destination. MUCH more time consuming.

I think it depends on the actual time and location of your vehicle's problem, and that's luck of the draw in reality.
Regards
Kit

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 11:03:16 pm »

I have full cover with Greenflag at half the price of the AA or RAC. My son needed them last year after breaking down in the middle of nowhere in North Wales and they arrived within the hour, taking him, his car and family back home to Lancashire. Superb service.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2022, 07:50:31 am »

I had cover with both at one time, I broke down on the A23 when I was out on the bike, called the AA and they said that they would be with me in the hour, after three hours and a number of calls to the AA,  they said as I was only a motorcycles I would have to wait until they could find some one to come out to me as the car brake downs have parity. 

As for the RAC say no more, the wife and I was broken down in Aldeburgh in her Mobility car, four hours later the RAC turn up, as the new car doe's not have a spear wheel it was a case of a relay service home + a taxi for the wife , up turns the lorry, car on back of said lorry bit no taxi for the wife, RAC said that they could not get a taxi to take her to Brighton, they then said that we should take the train back to Brighton,

All in All they are just as bad as each other if you are not in a large town.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 08:21:58 am »

Both The RAC and the AA used to be owned by their "members", now they are both owned by private equity companies, whose only purpose is to create as much profit as they can.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 11:54:20 am »

Both The RAC and the AA used to be owned by their "members", now they are both owned by private equity companies, whose only purpose is to
create as much profit as they can.

The 21st century mantra, 'Corporate Greed Rules OK'.  :((
Regards
Kit

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2022, 12:19:09 pm »

I’m with Green Flag at the moment as they are cheaper than the RAC or AA. I was with RAC back in 2008 and had an accident involving a collision with a dog. This was at 9:30 at night in December on a main road in Cambridgeshire about 5 miles outside Peterborough. First thing I did after ringing my parents was to call the police (for the dog) and then the RAC. The police arrived pretty quick and made sure I was alright and the car wasn’t blocking the road, collecting the poor dead dog and left me to it. The RAC wagon arrived and said that it couldn’t be fixed at the roadside and needed recovery (I knew this beforehand but still had to have the assessment by RAC!). By now it was 1130 at night and very cold as I couldn’t start the engine. The recovery driver then arrived at about 0130 claiming that he couldn’t recover my car back to Kettering as he was out of hours! I asked him where he had come from thinking it would be Peterborough but no… he had travelled from Sutton Bridge! Fuming I rang up RAC helpline and told them that I was a member of the RAF and needed recovery asap.
In the meantime I rang my Dad as I needed to be in work in the morning so he swapped out with me at 0230 and he was eventually recovered at 0330 back home for 0430 only to discover that the car couldn’t be removed from the truck so my car had to go to Peterborough and then be transferred and be bought back in the afternoon!
What annoyed me so much that they wanted some positive feedback for this recovery so I told them to take a run and jump as I couldn’t believe that they could be so incompetent to send someone from Sutton Bridge when I was less than 5 miles from Peterborough city centre!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2022, 12:45:43 pm »

and being a member of the RAF makes what difference  :o

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2022, 12:53:10 pm »

Well it was worth a go to get them to get to me faster but didn’t work!
We are supposed to have certain perks to help us out and it’s only been beneficial once for me when during the last fuel crisis where we had no fuel I had to flash my ID card to get more than the £30 of fuel allowed to get me to my base.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2022, 03:12:51 pm »

I was quoted £360 for my AA renewal a couple of months ago. This was to cover myself and my wife on two fairly new well serviced cars. I rang them up to cancel my membership and they offered me a reduction of about £60, which I refused. I am now with "Autoaid" who charge me £62. The total perks may not be quite the same but at that price I can afford a taxi home.
John

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2022, 03:54:44 pm »

Aye worth a try each time we mixed with you lot Aden Libya and Germany I thought you had enough inhouse Perks :}2

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2022, 10:35:50 pm »

Been an AA member since 87. Up to this year that was full gold membership, including Keep driving which gave either a hotel or a hire car for 3 days to keep you going.
I also had Breakdown Repair Cover (BRC) which covered each car for £2500 per year for 5 repairs that mean recovery by the AA to a VAT registered garage. You pay £25 of each repair. This covered the Boxster when the water pump died on the Eurotunnel slip a few years ago. And a battery in my wife's Eunos when she'd flattened the battery listening to the radio between patients one day. Last recovery was when a brand new water pump pulley exploded on the Cayenne on the A2/A205 slip in torrential rain. The AA were concerned we were in a dangerous place & sent out a recovery truck from an agent. He took 35 mins from our initial call.
Then this year my Mitsubishi had a puncture NSF on the M25. The Mitzy has no spare as the batteries are where the spare would fit. Crawled off the M25 at Thurrock services & used the can of gunk & compressor to re-inflate. It was flat again in 20 mins. We called the AA who were there in 40 minutes. He used his big boy compressor to pump it up & then jacked it up to find the 'ole. It was in the inner sidewall & the gunk had held. He then followed us home just in case we had an issue. This was 25 miles or so.

I paid around £390 last year for 3 cars & two drivers. I have just renewed & the Mitzy is under manufacturers warranty & we'll renew with Mitsubishi in March 23 so we no longer have Breakdown Repair Cover on that. I paid £330 this year at renewal.

Always been happy with the AA. The RAC cannot offer the same so have never changed.
Jim

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2022, 03:53:58 pm »

..... and my progress so far is....I have now joined Green Flag to give them a try - a vast price difference where I was paying £32 per month for a beautiful luxury that I couldnt use - down to £11.00 a month - hopefully I wont need them - but its there to test if and when I do.

I disagree with RAC reply to me - and their explanation - but its very obvious that they only think of money and they don't regard anyone as vulnerable.  They are trying to take the attitude of a GOD whichever one is their religion - but it aint mine :-)

Happy motoring as they say :-)

£130 for a new Pirelli tyre today - paid it to put it to sleep - I wouldnt mind a refund from South Tyneside Council now for the state of the roads - especially the big pot hole with the manhole sticking up which I hit.   Hey ho.... I wonder how much an armoured car would cost :-)

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2022, 05:09:55 pm »

..... and my progress so far is....I have now joined Green Flag to give them a try - a vast price difference where I was paying £32 per month for a beautiful luxury that I couldnt use - down to £11.00 a month - hopefully I wont need them - but its there to test if and when I do.

I disagree with RAC reply to me - and their explanation - but its very obvious that they only think of money and they don't regard anyone as vulnerable.  They are trying to take the attitude of a GOD whichever one is their religion - but it aint mine :-)

Happy motoring as they say :-)

£130 for a new Pirelli tyre today - paid it to put it to sleep - I wouldnt mind a refund from South Tyneside Council now for the state of the roads - especially the big pot hole with the manhole sticking up which I hit.   Hey ho.... I wonder how much an armoured car would cost :-)

John
ya wastin ya time bonny lad  {-)

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2022, 08:22:26 pm »

John

Pirelli's are always going to be expensive, had four on my previous car.

Every car nowadays has what should really be called extremely low profile tyres that can't take impacts the way wide sidewall tyres can. You could see about going up a sidewall size, if you can fit a smaller rim.
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2022, 09:02:16 pm »

I recently put four new tyres on my Mazda 6. Mid range low profile Hankooks but still £151 each!

Colin

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2022, 09:47:44 pm »

About 10 year ago my wife drove into a pot hole in her shiny new A6 estate just before the M1 near Milton Keynes.

Car was a mess - alloy wheel was now square - we got the car recovered back to an Audi dealership

I went back the next day and took pictures of the road surface that had been neatly patched and looked as good as new.

The cost then of a new wheel and tyre from the main dealer was £1100 which to get the car back on the road we paid. I seem to remember a set of tyres on that car did not leave much change from £900.

Eventually we got our money back from MK council thanks to the incriminating evidence, pictures of a pile of unused, surplus shiny new tarmac that the contractor had left on the verge next to the bushes alongside the patched pot hole.

I know the UK's roads are in a poor state - I think Northamptonshire might get first prize for some of the worst maintained roads in the country.

This year ( 2 weeks apart) I have had a new shock absorber and new alloy (cracked) fitted to my car and my wife has had a new shock absorber fitted to her car - total cost to us £1200

Oh - and the AA did us proud and recovered cars as needed in a timely fashion - joint membership £250'ish (cannot find renewal) but they held it at same price for 3 years after I said I would quit...

Regards
C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2022, 10:41:03 pm »

I was with Britannia Rescue and on the few occasions when I needed them, they attended within 30 minutes. I am now with the RAC as it is included with my banking package. I am a bit nervous about this switch as they support our company vehicles and their performance has not been great.  I would certainly recommend giving Britannia a try.   

https://www.lv.com/breakdown-cover

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2022, 10:50:00 pm »

I recently put four new tyres on my Mazda 6. Mid range low profile Hankooks but still £151 each!

Colin

Ouch!  That is more than what I paid for the Goodyears on my truck!  I guarantee they've experienced a price surge in recent years, I was quoted $384/tyre for BF Goodrich and was told by a coworker that he paid less for the same tyre, at a higher weight rating, five years ago.

I used to have CAA but dropped it two years ago, but after paying over three hundred bucks to get pulled out of a ditch in winter and towed to the lot, I'm considering re-enlisting.  Or at least getting some traction boards made up.   %%
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.