Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Kent  (Read 764 times)

Heraclius

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Kent
« on: July 04, 2022, 09:05:29 pm »

This is not really a new topic but it relates to two old posts , one on 4 December 2006 on 'HMS Kent' and the other on 9 July  2015 on 'Plans worth avoiding'. Both referred to my plans of HMS Kent published by Model Boats in the 1960s. I came across them by chance. I was pleased by the attention but alarmed at seeing the plan referred to under' Plans to avoid' along with various grumbles about sources, inaccuracy etc. In case anyone is interested I thought i should put the record straight. The plan was intended for a working model, not a museum model. As to source, I was able to visit the National Maritime Museum and inspect the marvellous original 'as fitted' drawings in various pastel shades, scale 1/4" to 1 foot, on reinforced fabric which had to be held down with heavy lead weights. The museum kindly provide photocopies of several of the drawings at an exact reduction at a modest cost. I hope they still do so. These were turned into drawings at a scale of 1/8" to 1 foot with all the diligence which a nerdy schoolboy could summon, together with drawings of some of the ship's boats supplemented by some by Norman A. Ough of sacred memory. While a lot of the fascinating but intimidating detail has been left off and some simplifications made. I hoped that major errors had been avoided. I also visited the Naval Library to consult Captain Allen's log of the action and corresponded with one or two survivors of the Falklands action, including Admiral Dannreuther who as a more junior officer was gunnery officer of Invincible and one of the few survivors of that ship's loss at Jutland. One of these correspondents informed me that two of Kent's 6" guns did service defending Hong Kong against the Japanese in 1942 but by that time the rifling was worn and they may have been of little use. Perhaps I could take this opportunity of recording my gratitude to the then editor, Mr Vic Smeed, for his kindly encouragement regarding the Kent articles and plan and earlier publications about 'Ashanti', 'Devonshire' and 'Lion'.               david.coleman@spi.ox.ac.uk

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Kent
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 08:57:39 am »

Wonder how many wobbly warships the original dissenter has designed/made? Said MANY times, there are them as wants to make a museum standard and them as wants to float a boat.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Kent
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 12:58:55 pm »

As an observation I always understood that both the fibreglass hull and plans that were available from MAP were one of the best sets ever available. I believe the hull is still available albeit from a different source.

I have no idea why they would be listed as "poor".

Cheers

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 23 queries.