Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Typical flying bridge layout?  (Read 874 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Typical flying bridge layout?
« on: July 10, 2022, 03:23:24 pm »

I'm at the latter stages of a 1/48 US Patrol Craft Sweeper (PCS 1400 series) as the photo. The flying bridge is pretty obvious and I'm trying to find a photo of a generic "dashboard" layout for that size/type of craft. I've been through all the Navsource pics without any joy so I wondered is anyone had been to or has any pics for USS Hazard, the museum Minesweeper in Omaha? As a backstop I can use a photo from USS Slater but.......?
Any help would be much appreciated.
 :-))

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: Typical flying bridge layout?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 02:47:08 am »

I would say, Two search light platforms, a Binnicale and maybe a small wheel for rudder.
Then miscellaneous control boxes for coms, and alarms. I used to add two flared brass tubes
to either side so they could call down to the bridge below, on my old Italian destroyer.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 09:24:48 am »

Hi Umi,
Thanks for the input. general layout on the plans is fine and apart from a bit of tweaking seems to be work with photo evidence. What I'm trying to get a feel for is the "instrument panel". This pic is the one from Slater and should, I presume, have a certain method, so I'm trying to find an indication of what a small vessel, a patrol boat or a minesweeper for example, would have.
I'm not a "rivet counter" but with a 3 inch wide panel it would be nice to get just a touch of pseudo-accuracy O0
Cheers
Tony

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 11:45:01 am »

Did a search for both the pcs1414 and pcs1405, i found this which seems to be the same boats but one of the flying bridges is covered and the other open to the elements, though not clear, you could see if the equipment on the previous picture seems to match what might be on this bridge, though from a distance you wouldn't be far out and you could create a flying bridge to obscure the result - it just looks similar.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 01:39:03 pm »

No cheating!
Here's the blowup, or at least enough to be feasibly focused on, well almost, but it really only shows how full of "stuff" the forward face was and since it's fairly large scale (1/48) it's difficult to oversimplify. I had a look through the other museum ships and the Admirable class minesweeper, USS Hazard, seemed the right sort of size but being in UK I can't seem to access the website walkround! Obviously secret!!There are other questions that crop up. For example the "flag bag" fixed to the back face.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 11:24:09 am »

I looked on all the videos on uselesstube - none showed the flying bridge, but one did show the flag store, it looked like all the flags were stored vertically, they seemed to be rolled from one corner and then slotted into the box so that one corner was pointing out of each slot with a cover that hinged up from the back, it seemed to have a painted brass flag identification strip under the hinge at the back, and it appeared to be on the deck below as the area seemed dark as it was a shaded area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbd9iQmP6N8  4 minutes and 30 seconds in
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 12:09:23 pm »

Aye, that's what I thought and that's the way I modelled it on my US version of a Flower. I.e they're taken out vertically from a trough. I'm getting more and more dubious about the demi-semi kit!Research is always fun innit and it always goes wrong when you think you're on the homeward stretch :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.