Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Window Material  (Read 1482 times)

Concorde002

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Window Material
« on: September 18, 2022, 11:53:28 pm »

Hi everyone,

Just wondered what you use for glazing and where you get it? I am building the superstructure of my dad's Smit Rotterdam and want to apply glazing to the inside of the openings (to also serve as splash protection). I assume some sort of semi rigid thin perspex?

Also what glue or other method do you use to apply?

Thanks,

Tim

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Window Material
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 11:23:55 am »

In this sort of scale most people will use cellulose acetate sheet. Normally available from most model shops who may also have transparent styrene sheet.  A good source of acetate sheet is commecial packaging, eg the bubble packs some goods are sold in.Super glue is not recommended for sticking them in as it tends to give off vapour that clouds the clear window. RC Modellers Canopy Glue is good for this as it is water based and dries clear although it is PVA based so not completely waterproof. Epoxy will work but you need to take care that it doesn't get on the window while fitting or it will leave marks that are very difficult to remove.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 03:38:32 pm »

I used thin acrylic sheet on my last build which worked very well.  I just scored a line on it and snapped it to shape.  I used canopy glue to hold it firmly in place.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 04:28:02 pm »

How many strips of window material can you get from a poly ethelene terepthalate bottle? Especially a 2 litre one.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 05:24:14 pm »

cd cases

JoJoElbe

• kind of lifeboat nerd .... just kind of ...
  • Full Mayhemer
    • modellwerft.spuelsaum.de (german + engl summarys)
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 06:07:25 pm »

If you don't want acrylic plates or re-use things, you can also buy PET-G plates/sheets  0,5mm-2mm (sizes in a german shop where I usually buy it). That stuff is easy to cut with a 'knife', much better than plexy or acrylic glass.
Actual: Tyne class + boathouse + slipway
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

Mike S

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 07:05:38 pm »

Hi Tim,

Gotta agree with Grendel, in the spirit of re-use, re-cycle, re-purpose, I always use old CD cases.

Cheers,

Mike

RST

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 08:04:19 pm »

I looked high and low for old CD cases the last month but I've not had any CD's for so long now.  I must admit I tend to have a couple of sheets from the modelshop tucked away, one sheet lasts years of building for me.  For smaller windows you can get away with much thinner material like an old OHP film or whatever you can get hold of.  For adhesive I personally don't recommend canopy glue after I found it goes back white as soon as it's spalashed.

I prefer araldite but last couple of models I'm using some silicone glue from hobbycraft which is great for lots of things.  Apply with a cocktail stick, doesn't string or "fume" like silicone sealant, grabs pretty quick and accidental smudges just rub-off afterwards once it's all set as long as you're careful but as it dries clear it's not too noticeable in corners.  I would recommend it's used after painting though.

Pic of my efforts the other night -though does't show too much I guess LoL.

Rich

Concorde002

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 08:42:41 pm »

Thank you to everyone who replied - most appreciated. Some great suggestions.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 09:27:00 pm »

you can get coloured acetate sheets. Greens ,greys,blues light dark etc. Depends on what you want. To fix it in place only two options.
OP1 1mm or 2 mm double side tape. Like what they use to hold mobile phone screens in
OP2 Gorilla glue clear.
Done the whole of my ferry which has 100s of windows .
John

RST

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 09:41:24 pm »

you can get coloured acetate sheets. Greens ,greys,blues light dark etc. Depends on what you want. To fix it in place only two options.
OP1 1mm or 2 mm double side tape. Like what they use to hold mobile phone screens in
OP2 Gorilla glue clear.
Done the whole of my ferry which has 100s of windows .
John

...yes, for my above build I also bought a neutral density coloured lighting gel on eBay for a couple of quid as I really wanted some tint.  It would have done fine for smaller windows. I could not find thicker tinted material for love nor trying the past month or two for love nor trying except for stuff 2-3mm thick.  I'll keep the A5 sheet I got for later as it will be fine for smaller windows.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 04:50:31 pm »

Just a word of warning!

I glazed the wheelhouse of my latest project last week with the usual acetate\styrene sheet that you buy alongside plasticard.
I needed to do a localised respray to remedy a minor defect and masked off the windows but inevitably a bit of overspray got underneath. I successfully removed this with a bit of rag dipped in white spirit but five minutes later the affected windows literally shattered into fragments!
Luckily I can replace them.
Colin

Concorde002

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2022, 01:29:10 pm »

Thank you to everyone for the further comments. All very helpful and useful information.
Tim

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 05:29:26 pm »

Go and buy some Pastries at a supermarket and you will get some clear plastic sheet and some nice Cakes, Pecan and Maple syrup are my favourites.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.