Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PT109 ELCO 80ft PT Boat 1:20 3D printed  (Read 1785 times)

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
PT109 ELCO 80ft PT Boat 1:20 3D printed
« on: July 17, 2022, 01:58:52 pm »

Found  a set of 3D files on www.cgtrader.com designed by bensworx. Note: It requrier a printspace of minimum 300X300mmX330mm
I have printed most of the parts, know and has started to assemble it.
It will be big model Length 4ft and beam 1.05ft the four hull parts took a total of 10 days to print.
Hull is printed in 0.2layers so some sanding and filler is needed to get it where it should be. Other parts has been printed at 0.16 and 0.12 layer thickness. Crew and some other parts that should be smooth and not easy to sand, will be printed on a resin printer.
It's Printed on a Ender 5+ with FirmWare from insanity automation, PEI bed, silicon bedsprings, all metal extruder and Capricorn tube.
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: PT109 ELCO 80ft PT Boat 1:20 3D printed
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 11:52:40 pm »

Hi tica;

Certainly,it's a really big model for MTB, isn't it?!! O0
As it is big enough,you could possibly enjoy detailing work if you wish. :-))
I wish to see the boat sailing on the water as the real boat might have done so in the Pacific waters...!!! :-)) ♩~♪~(^^♪

Kiyo

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 09:34:38 am »

What type of printer did you print it on?

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 10:03:21 am »

What type of printer did you print it on?
It's Printed on a Ender 5+ with FirmWare from insanity automation, PEI bed, silicon bedsprings, all metal extruder and Capricorn tube. (Just added the same information to the first post).
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 03:11:11 pm »

A bit of progress.
Stern has been glued in including reinforcement ring, deck piece and the rudder posts. And some parts has been sanded.

Next is the watertight test, before i start to assemble the propshafts and rudders.
Some parts require a small amount of sanding and some serious sanding.

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 04:57:04 pm »

3D printing is being a great help across the various genres of model building hobbies.To me the best part here is inclusion of crew figures.
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 04:12:49 pm »

Back in business more or less  ok2 couldn't sand the hull down in the garage due to other stuff going on there, so had to wait for good weather.

Have to balance this project between my job and another project (not model boat related)
Did managed to get first layer of P100 on 2/3 of the hull and it's now curing in the good weather.
First pic is the hull the second is the other project.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 08:05:07 am »

Hi tica,

So nice to see you back again on here with an awesome and large hull of PT109
as well as an unique shaped pick-up truck. !!!!
Is this type of car normally seen in your country or did you modify with your own idea and craftmanship ?
I'm rather interested in the car in another project.!!!  {-) :embarrassed: :D
Why don't you post the project of the truck in another column??  :-)) %)

By the way,I cruised around the central part of Japan with my own car for 6 days reaching about 1,700km(1,062miles)
in the last month.
I like driving a car for long distance but it would be less than a decade to be able to do such a long driving... O0
Keep on modelling and posting with a good health. :-)) :-))

Kiyo

JohnG

• Full Mayhemer
  • enjoying the learning
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 09:57:42 am »

Nice to see it.  It's going to be a super model..

Could i ask what material you used for the main hull? 

I tried ABS for one model, but wasn't happy esp with layer adhesion, and switched to PETG for second which seems much improved. Still had the sanding/filling though...

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 07:11:44 pm »

BackertherIt's great to back doing a bit of modelling  :-)
The 1:1 car is a VW T3 (Type25) dobbelcabin aka a Doka from 1986, it's almost rust-free as it has lived it life in northern Sweden, taken of the road back in 2009 and stored dry since. I need to weld a few pinholes in the floor and it need a new engine, and all rubber is dead so it needs to be replace before I can get it though a MoT.  Plan is to use it as the model hauling car and to attend classic meets (I'm chairman of the Danish T3 Club). I'll put  up a few pics in the "Other hobbies" when I have had some progress as not to spam the forum with this.

JohnG
I used PLA for this build, I live in Denmark where we don't need to take high temperatures that serious in relation to PLA, but now I do have the possibility to print in ABS and ASA, for the Ender printers I have learned to have a closed cabinet and do a flow calibration for each material (even for specific colours) , I also purchased a Bambu Lab X1C, to replace a couple of my ender printers, that is another ballgame in 3D printing, but still keep one E5+ due to the bed size.
More to come on the sanding sanding sanding  %%

JohnG

• Full Mayhemer
  • enjoying the learning
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2023, 05:47:12 pm »

hi Tica,
thanks for your reply.  I'd read a few horror stories about PLA models deforming in a hot car and decided not to take the risk. so your comment is v interesting to note. i did try out acetone smoothing for some of the abs parts to get them smoother, ...  - though not the main hull sections. it worked somewhat  - but in the end i just moved on to a resin printer for non-hull parts on my second model,  which i much prefer.

the bambu looks a super machine (slightly envious...). i wish you well

John

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2023, 04:16:13 pm »

Moving slow ahead  <:(
Have been running my resin printer for a few days now, so the .50cal MS has been done and some crew figures is ready for processing and paint. Also made a stand for it, just cheap 18mm shelf pine and 2 pieces of 28mm pine that were laying in the workshop, stained as teak and 4 layers of Junkers ship varnish that should do it  8)
Looking fwd for a week with only 20°c

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2023, 03:43:56 pm »

A bit more progress.
Had to re-print the ammo boxes incl lids and engine hatch as they were to small for the holes in the deck, now I'm happy that i bought a Bambu Lab X1C, so they were printed in 0.08mm layer-height reducing the amount of sanding needed.
Did the cowl-vents in resin for a better surface quality, ohh they are so smooth  :-))
The day-cabin has been sanded lightly and a layer of fin model filler has been added, last pic. show a test fitting, the 50cal. gun turret needs some sanding as the resolution in the file is low

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2023, 01:12:16 am »

Hi tica,

It's so nice to see your model boat going on soo smooth just like the surface of the boat. !!! :-)) :-)) :-))

Kiyo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.