Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optimum 180 x 300 Vario lathe  (Read 1157 times)

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
Optimum 180 x 300 Vario lathe
« on: July 19, 2022, 09:12:10 am »

Good day folks, I have an Optimum D180 x 300 lathe and I have two queries.
1.  To alter the angle of the compound slide it seems that two screws need to be loosened. They are quite tight (first time I have done it), but I presume that's just an assembly over-tightening. The scale is quite coarse so get it back to "zero" again I will have to use an engineering square on the slide itself and not rely on the scale.  Any comment?
2.  While in UK recently I bought, on line, a quick change tool post and tool holders at a better price than I can get in Cape Town. However, it appears that fitting the post to the Optimum lathe will require some surgery as there is a bush that protrudes above the base into the tool post and that bush will have to be removed.  I don't see how to do that.  Any comment or advice?
Thanks. Brian

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Optimum 180 x 300 Vario lathe
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 11:43:49 am »

Rather than removing the bush on the lathe could you not bore a recess into the bottom of the tool post to fit the bush. I would assume tha\t the bush is there to allow the original tool post to swivel yet have a fixed rotation point.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 01:16:04 pm »

Different lathe but they are all pretty much the same as regards compound slide adjustment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6qWbajqTTo

In case you haven't got the manual:

https://nurdspace.nl/images/d/d7/Optimum-D180x300-Manual-GB.pdf
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 07:36:46 pm »

Hi JimG.  Yes, I agree that the bush should not be removed as it does center the tool post nicely but also contains the thread into which the stud holding the post is screwed.  I am going to make a spacer to fit around the bush and support the tool post just higher than the bush rim.  This will provide a solid base on which to secure the post. Thanks.

Thanks Bunkerbarge.  It is, as you say, very similar and if I start having to change the angle frequently, perhaps I could consider that mod.  Just need to loosen the over-tightened screws.

Happy sailing.  Brian

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 10:27:12 am »

I am making a steel spacer to lift the tool post above the level of the bush. With my little Proxxon milling machine, getting this spacer drilled (18mm dia. hole) and squared up is quite a challenge and I am going to post some lessons learned in a separate post on this forum.  I am hoping that, as usual, I will get some constructive comment in reply.  8)  A photo to follow later today.

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 01:23:01 pm »

A pic of the tool post
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.