Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripmax pro peak  (Read 4630 times)

john54

Ripmax pro peak
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:53:40 am »

Has anybody had touble with pro peak chargers ?
It worked fine when new (1year) ago now it takes 3 fast charge cycles to bring each pack (9.6 3000s) to warm temp.
Useing 12v car battery or mains power still the same. Would have some component in the peak detection circuit gone weak ?
Cheers

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
Re: Ripmax pro peak
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:21:11 pm »

Hi John

Can I suggest that you read Faraday's Cage remarks in the next header to yours on this Forum.

I think you may have just kept recharging your nicads without discharging completely first.  The net result of this is that they will develop a memory over time which stops them gaining their full potential.  I seem to remember from the distant past that if not recycled fully they will accept only around 80%  value each time they are charged until their original capacity cannot be recovered.  The answer then is to throw them and buy new because the electrons cannot be realigned to their original state.

john54

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 06:43:56 am »

Thanks
I forgot to say all my packs ( less than 20 runs) are nimh type not nicad so no memory (i think)
I also used my mates propeak last night & they all came up first go!
Time for a new one i think !

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:48:49 pm »

The mythical memory arises again.  In any pack of NiCads one of the cells will probably be less good than the rest, and will drag down the performance of the rest by preventing full charging, and causing an early end to the discharge ability.  NiMs are less prone to this problem, but not immune.  A series of full discharge/recharge cycles will probably restore performance, but it is always possible that the pack has reached the end of its working life.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

john54

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 01:05:58 pm »

Thanks
The last packs i got (two weeks ago! 5 runs to nearly spend) are graupner eco-power 3000s Not cheap!
I am pretty certain it is the propeak after trying my mates with my packs. 

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 10:46:52 pm »

Hi john54,

I have had loads of problems with this make of charger. Having said that, I still keep replacing them with more of the same. :-\

Have all your battery packs been Nims? or just the most recent ones. The last one of mine that went wrong, was after charging my first set of Nims.
I checked with ripmax first as my charger did not say it could be used for charging Nims, and they said that although it did not not mention Nims, my version was OK, but just not re labeled.

I have noticed that over the last few weeks, I have been having the same problem as you, but I have just kept resetting till the cells get warm.

The most common problem I have had is the twelve volt input charging side not working. After a few minutes charging the alarm goes off. Plugging into the mains enabled me to finish charging.

Bob

john54

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 06:51:07 am »

Hi Bob

Ive only been useing nimh like i said fine to start with.
There must be something that goes weak in time.
Mine does the same thing on 240 or 12v.
Oh well s*it appens.
Time for a new charger.

Cheers

John

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 06:01:11 pm »

Saw the link below on another site and thought of this thread, but couldn't remember where it was (silver moment) so started a new thread with this -

Just found this link in another forum.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore...?ArticleID=1731
This may solve some problems.

Of course, I tried the link and it fell over, so I have cut and pasted the information below

Ni-MH Battery Charging Cautions bulletin
The latest generation of Nickel Metal Hydride batteries incorporates a new chemistry mandated to be more environmentally friendly. These batteries, when charged with peak detection fast chargers, have tendencies to repeatedly false peak (not fully charge). These include all brands of NiMh batteries. If using NiMh packs be especially cautious when charging making absolutely sure that the battery is fully charged. It is recommended to use a charger that can display total charge current. Note the number of mAh put into a discharged pack to verify it has been charged to capacity.

john54

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 07:39:06 pm »

Hi
So thats why !
I do replace my packs every year or so.
Problem only occured with my new ones.
Been a great help
Thanks again

John

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 11:12:32 pm »

Chasing links on the subject indicated that new NiMH packs need to be trickle charged at the ten hour rate or lower initially and/or cycled a few times.  Peak/delta chargers cannot fully charge a new pack, or so the man said.  Something about them trying to work out from the observed charge rate how much to put in, and getting the wrong answer.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 11:55:13 pm »

I rang a few friends who are still involved with model care racing on a national basis ad they said they have not heard any the problems and they are normally in the know as one is linked to a battery manufacturer . the info for charging cells is from some one what has suppled cells in the uk for racing since the late 70s and was the main supplier of cells for a long time. Peter

Charge at 5 to 6.5 amps. Cutoff of 20mV for 6 cell pack.  They should be quite warm at end of charge. (if not then set the mV up by 5mV until the pack fully charges with your charger).  Always race with warm cells. Always charge on day from flat for max performance. You can let cool after a race and recharge when cool for a later race without any loss of performance. No need to discharge after 1st race. At end of day discharge batteries on an equaliser, even to flat (0V). But then , put a little charge back in, say 25%, before storing. The cells tend to discharge when nearly flat.

If you get a cell that has flat lined to 0.0volts and will not charge, it can be bump started back to life by flashing it with 12volts.  Use a couple of wires and spark the +ve 12volt to the +ve of the cell.

NOTE: Do not precharge the night before and repeak on day of race. This may cause the vent to fail, and subsequent loss of fluid. If you repeak after a long wait, the peak voltage will remain flat and the cell may overcharge, especially if they were already fully charged. I suggest you only charge prior to the race, (this gives best performance)  since the peak voltage will fold over correctly, and the charger will switch off.  Also: do not temperature charge, since the cell temperature will vary considerably depending on the ambient temp, and the charge rate, and how much charge was already in the cell. This will result in either undercharging, or worse overcharging with subsequent venting, and reduced life . A temperature probe can be used as a safety cutoff.
It is not necessary to charge until the cells are absolutely maxed, unless you are critical for runtime with modified. In fact it is better to stop the charge at 90% since charging to absolute full may cause the cells to get too hot and develop a higher resistance.

It is best to race with cells that have just been charged and are warm. Cold cells will lose some performance. As will ones that have been standing around for an hour or so.

Normally a pack will peak in the low 9 volts at about 5 amps, and this will give maximum punch if you stop the charge rather than force the last few milliamps in, causing the voltage to rise as the cell develops more resistance.

The top numbers give the run time in seconds at the 5.0 amp discharge to 0.9 volts. The top voltage is the average over the 0300 seconds of discharge at 20 amps. The lower left large figure is the time tocharge, and will vary a lot depending on which cycle I am on and when the last charge was, so is only an indication that the pack charged. The small number on right is the internal resistance and should be as low as possible, but 10 is as low as feasible, and anything up to 15 is ok. The peak voltage of cell is the voltage at full charge and should be about 1.55. If too high then cell is poor or worn out. The peak will always go hand in hand with the internal resistance.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.