Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountfleet Models 1/72nd 1920s Puffer  (Read 13720 times)

RST

Re: Mountfleet Models 1/72nd 1920s Puffer
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2022, 06:50:25 pm »

Hi ALan52
Could you please post a link for the ladders, I know I am just lazy.

Fred

Fred I think I found the same on Ebay inside half a minute searching for "laser cut model ladders".

Alan,

It's all the little details that make Puffers come to life.  I found some laser cut bicycles for mine at 1:50 (they might be from the same place -I can't remember where I put them now!).   Am interested what steam sound unit you fitted.  You know that Puffers don't "puff" or "chuff" since about 1900ish when they came out of the canals?  You have reminded me to fit the scupper flaps on my Puffer to keep water off deck though as mine is a bit tender -I couldn't have the steam whistle loudspeaker under the funnel -had to go lower down to keep CoG lower.

Rich

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great.
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2022, 07:52:59 pm »

Hi Rich

Yes you are right about the detail. I have just found some 1/72nd bicycles and a few other little bits that I plan to add. The puffer sound unit is from Component shop and is from their Action range. It’s ok, but not true puffer sound. It is generated sound. In fact I have that sound going through the small speaker and the whistle, which is a real recording through the large speaker under the hold. Thanks on the tip for that as I had never heard of that company.

I have just started the next project which is the Dumas Carol Moran tug. Similar sort of construction to the puffer with two piece hull. I will be putting some pictures up soon on a separate listing.

Thanks

Alan
Alan

RST

« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2022, 08:08:30 pm »

Hi Alan,

Speaking with Chef Engineer on Vic 32 a few weeks ago when she was in town -the boiler / engine sounds much like a kettle on full boil at most (I can vouch for this having seen her sailing past in previous years and all there was was black smoke and a slight hiss).

Good luck with the Dumas kit.  I'm not a modeller of American prototypes but I do watch lots of builds on rcgroups and other forums.  I think Dumas have some very strange use of materials in some of their smaller kits so it would be interesting to see how you find them. There is a relatively recent (I mean within last few years) someone built a small Dumas tug on thercmodelboatforum.com if you haven't found it already.

Rich

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2022, 08:41:27 pm »

Hi Rich

Yes I think the only way to get a decent sound for the puffer would be a recording. Unfortunately at this scale it would be hard. Really nice experience you had though Rich.

With regard to the Dumas Carol Moran. The hull although vac-formed is not the type I have been used to. It's a strange type of thick plastic. They recommend CA to join the hull together, followed by a fiber glass  bandage. Seemed to work OK, but might give it a coat of Stablit.

Alan

RST

« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2022, 08:47:52 pm »

Yes, PVC etc.  Using Cyanoacrilate on plastic that can be solvent welded is just moronic to me but seems to work for some!

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2022, 11:20:26 am »

Still waiting for a few other detail bits to arrive, but the bicycles arrived. Bought these from a company called Scalemodelscenery. A search on google should bring them up. They mainly deal with Model Railways, but sell some useful detailing peaces.

Alan

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2022, 01:10:02 pm »

HI RST

It's just me being Lazy. need to work on my time management.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
  • Nothing is impossible to the willing mind.
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2022, 01:47:28 am »

Nice additions on the detailing Alan, they fit right in with the working look of the boat. ;D
Have you started a thread for the Carol Moran build? I had a hunt around on the forum but couldn't spot it.

Cheers,
Phil

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2022, 11:44:17 am »

Hi Phil

Your right, I think adding a little extra detail does improve the look.

I haven’t started the thread yet as I am waiting for a reply from Dumas. I have a problem with the combing around the hold. The cutout for the hold is pre-cut and the lower cabin is made on a jig. Problem is with the combing fitted as per the instructions. The cabin will not fit. I had to hack away about a quarter of an inch to make it fit, which then leaves a gap. I followed their instructions and also watched two other builds on YouTube, so I know the method I used was correct. I can only think that I that their must be a problem with the supplied parts.

Once I receive a reply I will move forward. It is reparable, but should not happen. Once I start again I will put a build thread up.

Thanks.
Alan
Alan

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2023, 11:40:08 am »

Received answer and parts from Dumas to correct and at no charge. Brilliant service.  :-)) :-))
Alan

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2023, 10:26:39 am »

That's good news Alan, glad it could get sorted for you. Looking forward with interest to your next posts.

Cheers,
Phil

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2023, 07:25:28 pm »

Thanks Phil
Hoping to post the build soon. :-)) :-))
Alan

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2023, 04:34:16 pm »

Just re-ballasted using Tyre Balance weights. Windy day on the Isle of Wight.

Weather was great but very windy. Needs a bigger motor for this type of water. {:-{

Alan

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2023, 02:23:51 pm »

Alan she looks absolutely perfect on the water. It's such a good job you've made.

I'll be honest, following your build thread has planted a bit of a seed in my mind to pick this kit up, the idea is percolating atm hahaha. I have some non-boat related projects to do first so I'll see.

Thanks for posting the pics, can you describe the handling? (Noted it was windy on the day). Also curious, how accessible is the propshaft for future greasing.

Cheers,
Phil

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2023, 04:17:47 pm »

Hi Phill

Thanks for the comments. 

There is another in the same range from Mount-fleet at the same price, I have this in my stash, It's the Drifter. I think they are incredible value for money and not a lot more required to finish. As for handling. It's certainly  not a rough weather boat. I have wheel balance weights for ballast and I am still not sure it's right. The day in question was quite bright and sunny with a moderate breeze. We where on a lake on the sea front on the Isle of Wight. However it did struggle a bit. I would say it would be perfect for large ponds or areas that are sheltered with little or no breeze. It was bobbing about a bit, but that may be down to my ballasting.

As for the accessibility for greasing. It would not be as easy as in a larger size boat, but having said that it is not a hard job to do, just a bit more time consuming.

Next project at the moment is the Dumas Carol Moran. I have had quite a break on this one and am about half way through. I must start posting some photo's  soon. :-))
Thanks again for the comments Phill and great job on the Zwarte Zee :-)) 

Alan
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.