Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountfleet Models 1/72nd 1920s Puffer  (Read 13683 times)

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great.
Re: Mountfleet Models 1/72nd 1920s Puffer
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2022, 10:23:47 pm »

Hi Scott

Its certainly an education. I would never have guessed there where so many permutations. When you look at pictures of completed models, there are lot of discrepancy's out there. Anyway thanks for the picture Scott. Its nice to see these old puffers still about. :-))

Alan
Alan

RST

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2022, 12:02:54 am »

Hi,

There's such a huge amount of info out there on puffers you just can't not find anythig of use (someone quoted text directly off wikipedia before).  They are such ubiqitous boats of their type in the era.  The ones going up the canals were loaded pretty much until the decks were awash, the ones going up the coast would take on as much as they dared, the ones up and over the isles couldn't get away with that -but many sank trying and if I recall reading, skippers and some rules changed as a result.

I'm sure I said to you in PM, but on a smaller one I'm nervous about where it sits on the water, keep the weight very low-down.  I painted my waterline off pictures and ended up re-painting it again.  I know you're building off a good kit but it is very small and chances of it being very tender are quite high.

...Looks good anyway, I did pretty much the same thing with my rudder set-up to give strength in a vulnerable area.

...Always love to see puffer builds!

Rich

seagate

• Shipmate
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2022, 06:57:39 am »

Like the one pictured on the following blog page?
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/2247854/44065512

That's exactly what I meant. However, I believe the vessel in the picture is actually a later VIC painted and named to represent Para Handy's boat.

As an aside, I also believe that Para's puffer, at least as described in the earlier of Munro's tales, was one of those built without a wheelhouse, with the wheel being situated on the deck immediately aft of the engine room structure. It'd be fun to convert this kit into one of the early versions, which are rarely seen. Also, only the first few puffers fitted with single cylinder engines actually made the 'puffing' sound for which they were named. Action produce a sound unit for this as well as the multi cylinder version.

Anyhow, I hope my current model turns out as neat as Alan's!

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2022, 10:35:40 am »

Hi Rich and Seagate.

Rich

Thanks for the information. The boat will certainly not be a rough whether boat. I had the same sort of problem with the mooring tug, which is a similar size. All the weight for that is low down, but that doesn't have a high superstructure like the puffer, so I can see a lot of adjustment in the sink to get it right :-) . Impressed with your 3D printed puffer :-)) .

Seagate

Thanks for the information and advice. The Action sound unit I have is, you are right a single cylinder version. Havant found a suitable smoke unit yet. Most of the small units seem to be for model railways and I feel would not be of much use as I cant see them producing much smoke. Looking forward to seeing yours when its finished. You can never have enough Puffers. :-))

Thanks Both
Alan

Alan

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2022, 11:57:33 am »

Just an update.

Just planked the lower part of the bridge and re-painted the lower cabin. Still not sure about colours, so may change again. going to have a go at sorting the electrics as I want to make sure everything fits in and works before attaching the decks. Just bought some nano led's from www.smallascalelights.co.uk I have used them before and always get a good service. Just have to work out how to fabricate the lights into something that looks realistic. :-)

Alan

Alan

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2022, 12:25:27 pm »

Colors bring to mind Great Western Railway 'chocolate and cream' carriage colors on the pilot house, & the engine room, a color sometimes used on lineside buildings.
Models for illustration, http://yeomanmodels.com/great-western-railway/
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2022, 07:24:00 pm »

Hi Scott

Yep, that's the railway modeller in me. Always liked the GWR and it's colour schemes. Looks like the puffer will be re-locating to the west country {-) .

Alan
Alan

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2022, 08:01:53 pm »

Yep, that's the railway modeller in me. Always liked the GWR and it's colour schemes. Looks like the puffer will be re-locating to the west country
Speaking of GWR and looks ...
I wonder what a "Brunel broad gauge" Puffer would look like ...  :D (boat which is as wide as it is long?)

But seriously, it could be fun to create a story about how the boat crew ended up with 'surplused' railway paint ... after all, don't all great models have great stories behind them?
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2022, 12:05:45 pm »

Another update.

Just installed the rudder servo and made a battery tray. Also used Stan's tip for Vac Formed hulls. Used fiber glass tissue and Stablit Express to strengthen the bow and stern, although not as tidy as Stan's finish. :-))

Alan

Alan

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2022, 01:22:02 pm »

Watching.
I guess that you all know that you can go on holiday on a Puffer;
https://cruisesinscotland.com/boat/vic-32/

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2022, 01:49:36 pm »

I guess that you all know that you can go on holiday on a Puffer;
https://cruisesinscotland.com/boat/vic-32/

That last bit,  :}
CLOTHES
We recommend you bring simple, light clothing for hot days, together with ...
Please also remember to bring your own towels.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2022, 02:52:13 pm »

I think that it is a cruise like no other. You can basically do all the jobs on the ship so if you want to get dirty you can be stoker etc but if you just want to lol about that is fine as well.

It is about as far from a Princess cruise as you can get but much more involving.

As it is Scotland I would ask about waterproofs!

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2022, 02:55:16 pm »

Just need a steam generator that shoots out black smoke like the Vic {-)
Alan

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2022, 06:14:53 pm »

Not much done at the moment. Waiting for some bits to arrive. Fitted the motor. Wired up the sound module to the speaker. Fitted the oil tank and funnel.
Alan

Alan

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2022, 05:17:52 pm »

Decided to make some fittings for the wheelhouse. Used some of the waste plastic to make a table first aid box and shelf. Managed to find a 1/72nd Binnacle and ships wheel on Ebay. I made the Telegraph from tube and rod.The figure is an old Dapol workman. Decided to fit the glazing. Big mistake here. Used superglue resulting in some fogging. I should have used PVA or canopy fix. I have touched it up as best I can , but not to happy with the result. Not a lot I can do now. I am telling myself its a working boat so would have dirty windows.

Here are a few photo's. Sorry about the quality. {:-{

Alan

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2022, 05:26:44 pm »

That works!  From what is seen in the photos you recovered well from the window fogging.

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2022, 05:38:28 pm »

Thanks Scott.

Its OK from a distance, but not to clever when you get close up. It's 1/72nd scale and only about 13" long. I don't know what I was thinking. Used PVA on the Mooring tug with no problems. At this scale everything is a bit fiddly. Just about to make the struts for the hatch cover :(( .

Alan
Alan

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2022, 06:18:29 pm »

Its OK from a distance, but not to clever when you get close up.
  I wonder if carefully painting the transparencies with something like Tamiya's X-22 clear gloss acrylic would help?
On small 1/72 windows even applying it with the classic hairy stick would be feasible if masking and airbrushing is too much work for the result.
"As an added bonus at no extra charge" doing that kind of thing often changes the reflectance of the clear plastic and makes it appear more like actual glass would.
It relates to where aircraft modelers often dip canopies in clear acrylic floor finish, or use the gloss.
I've used the X-22 clear on 1/87 scale and 1/48 scale model railway train windows and even a few structure windows.
Now, granted, I've not had the opportunity to use it as part of recovering from CA fogging, but something in me wants to say it remembers reading someone doing that and as part of an overall process it helped.
How accurate is that memory? There's a question that I'm not going to bet the bunch of brass 15mm handrail stanchions which I just got, on.

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2022, 08:27:31 pm »

Hi Scott

Thanks for the information. I might try Tamiya. I used to use Johnson’s Klear for canopies and also to coat my kits in. It was ideal to give a variety of finishes and also good as a base before weathering. Not sure if I am going to weather the puffer yet. Just spent a glorious evening fitting and sanding the supports for the side of the hatch cover.

However I may try your idea Scott. Sound like it could help. Much appreciated. :-)) :-))

Thanks
Alan
Alan

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2022, 08:35:59 pm »

Welcome!

Because its current availability and product name are uncertain here in US and maybe UK too in recent conversations on a model aircraft forum, a sci-fi model forum, and a flying model rocket forum, I decided to not mention Johnson's Kleer.  But yes, it is useful stuff.

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2022, 09:00:09 pm »

Your right Scott

The formula has changed and it was changing hands for silly money on EBay and else where. I don’t think the product marketed now is so good. I shall try Tamiya as that is easily available and I think is worth a try.

Thanks again for the information. :-))

Alan
Alan

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2022, 12:40:49 pm »

So impressed with the Puffer. I couldn't resist buying the Drifter. It came today and is a vary comprehensive kit including motor. Same price as the Puffer. £75 delivered. :-)) :-))

Alan

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2022, 02:04:16 pm »

That is a nice looking kit.  These little 1/72 scale boats are really appealing, both for being that scale and being more readily portable than a same scale 18,000 TEU container ship.

RST

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2022, 03:30:30 pm »

Hi, might sound silly but I find a cotton bud (ear picker thing) wetted with a bit of saliva really quite effective removing remains of CA fumes.  Maybe not perfect but has worked for me many times in the past!  I'm not a fan of canopy glue, the zap stuff I tried turns back white as soon as any moisture touched it.  It's permanently binned now.  I went back to epoxy, or clear silicone glue from Hobbycraft for window glazing now.

Rich

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2022, 07:32:12 pm »

Hi Scott

Yes I agree, they are just the right size to stick in the car for that unexpected piece of water that you might find. Not sure if these kits are available in America, but I am sure they do mail order. I am impressed with the quality and also the supplied instructions.

Alan
Alan
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 23 queries.