Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Programming a radio  (Read 869 times)

ronnie42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Programming a radio
« on: July 24, 2022, 05:33:13 pm »

Rather than trying to use the stick for rudder turning under power i am going to try setting up switches for turns.  Switches can be disabled in the mid position for using the rudder stick.My radio can have quite a few functions assigned to a switch. Going to try fast , slow and stationary turns in each direction from 3 switches. Hope it will save buying a dedicated unit. Rudder is the easiest one to set up , but it’s the motor forward /reverse speeds that I need to work out. As the radio is an Open TX one almost anything is possible, it’s just a matter of learning how to do it. Made a start by buying a voltage telemetry unit for the boat battery, the radio has umpteen settings in the telemetry page. Playing in that found you can view the RX voltage . Been using the radio for RC tanks, that was easy due to using good aftermarket MFUs , have the Elmod fusion pro ones very easy to set up with the App , everything is programmed via sliders in the App on a PC or phone. Wish the boating side of RC had a waterproof MFU for power ,servos, lights and sound in one unit.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Programming a radio
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 10:22:15 pm »

Your idea is a valid one, but remember that using switches alone to turn your boat means assigning fixed output levels to your ESC's, even with Open TX, which I am running and love. You could, of course, use the mix functions to combine your throttles and your rudder, while controlling the particular mix with a switch. Even then, maanaul inputs to throttles will alter the turn rates significantly. I run a fair number of twin screw models and find that manual throttle inputs, even when the throttles are mixed to one stick, offers exceptional control, especially when docking.I have not gotten into using Global variables and LUA scripts, but I suppose they could add another imension to what you are trying to accomplish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.