Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Liverpool  (Read 714 times)

Dessie B

• Shipmate
  • Oooops!
Vic Smeed Liverpool
« on: August 18, 2022, 10:31:42 pm »

Evening all,
 I have just received my plans for Vic Smeed’s Liverpool class boat and was wondering before I start cutting,
a, has anyone build a model using these plans,
b, I assume that it’s built of balsa given the language used.

Can lite-ply be used instead of the stated 1/8 material?

Thanks in advance.

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Vic Smeed Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 02:38:52 am »

Oh cool, Vis Smeed had a little electric submarine named
Sprat
Okay, I've not built this and didn't even know of the fellow before this post.
With that out of the way, I've been playing in Google and it appears the answer to the built of balsa question is - that balsa covered with at least one layer of model airplane tissue and cellulose dope was a common construction method.  Even for that submarine.

Found an article where alternate materials were used for an enlarged version of a Vic Smeed plan,https://iansmodelboats.weebly.com/veleta.html

For the first time, as the boat was built mainly of balsa and lit-ply, I skinned the hull with nylon stocking and a product called Poly-C, which is designed to skin aircraft wings. It is a water based acrylic resin which is much easier and pleasant to use than epoxy. The coats can be applied quickly as it dries sufficiently within 20 minutes and, of course, clean up is quick and easy too.
However, do note,
There were quite a few things I wouldn't do again after building this model such as;
1.    I would revert to the use of epoxy for hull finish. The water based resin I used here was great- easy to apply, finish an clean up but still prone to dents when handling the model.

I will offer no value assessment of that input, but there it is and fun was had in doing the Googling.  :}
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Vic Smeed Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 08:47:24 am »

Hi
I have not built this model but have done a few of Vic's boats, I have used all type of materials to make boats over my time from the old type brown parcel tape - old cereal box's and more, the thing is back in the 50s and 60s balsa was two a penny and todays materials and glues was just a pipe dream, so go with what ever you feel happy with,

One thing I have found with Vic's plans he did at time cut corners, so take you time and all ways keep checking the plans.

fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 23 queries.