Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running sheets and pulley systems  (Read 1284 times)

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Running sheets and pulley systems
« on: August 09, 2022, 03:15:30 pm »

Hi,
I decided to have a go at making a yacht and and chose the Aeronaut Clipper. Sadly, I've hit a couple of issues with my "alterations".

1. The manufacturers design is to have fixed sails and a RC rudder but I decided to (try) and make the sails RC as well.
Normally, the jib sheet is secured to an eyelet on the deck but instead i've drilled the deck and passed the sheet through a small plastic tube then to an eyelet under the mainsail entry point (near the stern) at the bottom of the hull then to the (extended)servo arm. It seemed to work ok when the hull was incomplete (ie. no hull sides) but now when all is finshed the sheet is catching when trying to let out the sail, I think, on the bottom of the plastic tube. In hindsight perhaps an eyelet below the deck where the sheet comes through like i did with the mainsail might have been better, tho, typically, I can't do that now as i can't reach it!
So, I thought about running the sheet through a tube all the way from above the deck to the eyelet but what type of tubing? How to make the bends? Other ideas?

2. The sails don't move a whole lot so, I was thinking about some sort of pulley arrangement (is it called double purchase?) but could do with a proper picture/explanation plus where would you buy the bits to implement it.

Thanks for reading, any thoughts/alternatives welcome.

Cheers,
Mark

Buck White

• Shipmate
Re: Running sheets and pulley systems
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 11:50:37 am »

Could be a tricky problem Mark.  When the boat is on the water does the wind carry the jib across when you tack ?  If so I would let it do this.  If the travel is insufficient then use a pully arrangement. No special kit or equipment is needed. Look at how a pully works - you might find sketches of this showing a single pully, double pully etc.  Instead of fastening the end of the jib sheet to the servo arm you fasten it to the boat some distance from the servo, then pass it through a pully that is attached to the servo arm, then away to the jib. If the arm of the servo moves say 1", then the end of your sheet will move 2".  A little experimentation on the workbench is always helpful.  Good luck !  Buck.

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 12:46:39 pm »

Hi Buck,

Thanks for the reply.

On its last outing (of only two), the jib did move across with the wind and i think as a last resort I might end up doing that.
Thanks for the simple description of the pulley arrangement, I'll give it a go.

Cheers,
Mark

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 02:26:42 pm »

You can easily run sheets through small bore Ali or Brass tube from the K&S range stocked at 'The Signal Box' in Anstey Leicestershire,
easily bent by hand or a modellers pipe bender.

I use PTFE fishing ferrules 'Polemaster Super Slick Internal Bungee Bushes' pushed into the deck outlet end
which act as a slippery bearing surface and stop any sharp metal fraying your sheets.
Available in many sizes mine happen to be 2.3mm I.D 3.5mm O.D. a good push fit in K&S Ali tube -
couple of quid from the local tackle shop.

Paul.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 04:23:38 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 12:00:24 pm »

Who knew Anstey had a model shop!
Thanks for the ideas/info.

Cheers,
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.