Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountfleet Models 1/72nd Steam Drifter  (Read 630 times)

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great.
Mountfleet Models 1/72nd Steam Drifter
« on: August 15, 2022, 01:27:34 pm »

Hi All
Mountfleet 1/72nd Scale Steam Drifter arrived today. At the moment I am 75% through the build of the Puffer again from Mountfleet and the same scale. At £75 I think these kits are excellent value.

The kit consists of a two part Vac formed hull. Printed styrene sheet for deck and wheelhouse, A vac formed boiler house and dinghy. White metal fittings including a Steam Windlass and chain. Motor, propeller and prop-shaft with coupling. various tubing, rod and dowel. Etched brass sheet with rudder etc. There is a very comprehensive instruction manual which includes suggested RC installation and placement. There is also suggestions with diagrams for fitting engine sound, steam whistle and a smoke generator. Also included is a full size plan. The quality of the parts are excellent.

Suggested Tools are. Small sharp scissors, a scalpel  or Stanley knife. Wet and dry paper. Files, pliers and bulldog clips. Dremel or similar electric drill and various small drill bits. Solder iron and solder. Masking tape.Suggested filler is Humbrol or Similar.

Adhesive. Tube of Polystyrene. Two part Epoxy (5min) Thick Superglue. Canopy glue or Weldbond.

Minimum R/C Required. 2 Channel Radio, 1amp micro speed controller (BEC). Mini or Micro servo, 4 x Sub-C cells

I have attached some photo's of the content.

Alan

Alan

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Mountfleet Models 1/72nd Steam Drifter
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 08:57:16 pm »

If you want to make it an authentic drifter you will have to to fit a steam capstan forward of the hatch. This was a prominent piece of deck furniture which was missed out by Slipway and now Mountfleet who have missed the chance to correct the error.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 09:02:32 pm »

Hi Jim

Thanks for the information. Sounds worth doing. I will try to find some photos and then see if anyone stocks one. If not scratch built.

Thanks Jim :-))

Alan
Alan

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 11:25:14 am »

Alan if you want to find out more about wooden steam drifters an excellent book isFrom Tree To Sea by Ted Frost published 1985.
This details the building of the drifter Formidable at Oulton Broads near Lowestoft. it covers the complete process from bringing in the wood to launching. The author was an apprentice shipwright at this yard when the boat was built and the book contains many drawings showing excellent detail.If you can get one they are not cheap, the cheapest I found online was around £35 up to over £100.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 01:43:22 pm »

Hi Jim

That sounds like a brilliant source of information. I will have a search online.

Thanks

Alan
Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.