Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to clean  (Read 1140 times)

T888

• Full Mayhemer
Best way to clean
« on: August 16, 2022, 01:21:33 pm »

Hi Gents,

A question that you maybe able help me with.

I have a couple of old IC Tunnel hull models that have been in storage for 30 years. I was looking at converting them to brushless. But they would need a good clean to remove the old caster oil, as its gone very sticky.

Question ………..what the best way to clean them without damaging the GRP.
Regards David

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
Re: Best way to clean
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 02:08:50 pm »

Elbow grease from the decorating section of Poundland is about the cheapest retail source for ethoxylated alcohol in a 500ml spray bottle.
You may have heard of Cilit Bang. The content labels show they are much the same mix of degreasing chemicals.
You will also get it  sold under many other brand names at hugely inflated price tags in the car or bike section of supermarkets.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 06:17:40 pm »

I have a few old  IC engines, not an expert, but as always on here we have several, AndyN (on the forum will know all) in my option. No disrespect  to some suggestions...but NO.....old engines need a little care.
I will PM Andy and the will answer all.....
Steamed up all the time

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 06:32:49 pm »

A shame you’re looking to get rid of the IC motors.

The absolute best household cleaner to get rid of oil from boats is Cif Bathroom Mousse, been using it on planes and boats for two decades now. This is only for everything outside the engine. Have never used Cilit bang, though I’ve never found it particularly good at cleaning the house either. Methylated spirits will also remove castor without damaging the grp, though it will melt 1k paint.

Should you wish to clean the engines up let me know. What engines / legs are they?

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 06:56:01 pm »

Thanks all,

Andy, will try your method, the engines were OPS 90s. These were stripped, cleaned and rebuilt then put in vac bags.

Unfortunately the club I’m a member of Solent, we are prohibited from using IC a engine on the lake by Forestry England. So I’m looking at a TLF Outboard (Gears) running on lipo 4c 5000 14.8 volts.

Once again thanks to all for the advice. 👍👍👍
Regards David

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 08:13:41 pm »

If you’re looking to move on an OPS 90 (black square head?) then I may know someone interested

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 08:42:30 pm »

The absolute best household cleaner to get rid of oil from boats is Cif Bathroom Mousse, been using it on planes and boats for two decades now. This is only for everything outside the engine. Have never used Cilit bang, though I’ve never found it particularly good at cleaning the house either...
It's all the same chemical cleaner. Poundland sell the same 300ml cans of mousse under the brand 'CAR PRIDE' WHEEL CLEAN in the car care section.
If anyone is unsure of the contents of household or DIY cleaners you can look up the number that is printed on the container.

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 08:51:34 pm »

Thanks HMS Invincible, alway good to have options to look at if the Cif does not work.

Andy, No the OPS 90s will be staying.
Regards David

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 10:17:16 pm »

It's all the same chemical cleaner. Poundland sell the same 300ml cans of mousse under the brand 'CAR PRIDE' WHEEL CLEAN in the car care section.
If anyone is unsure of the contents of household or DIY cleaners you can look up the number that is printed on the container.

Here is what I mean by the aforementioned.
Either google the product name followed by :SDS or key it into the search box at https://sdsinventory.com/search to get the safety data sheet which lists the product contents.
You'll find all these magical citrus degreasers sold by bike shops at £14/Litre contain the same content as the Cif, Elbow grease, Cilit Bang or whatever at £2 a litre.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.