Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit Nederland electrics  (Read 2924 times)

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
Smit Nederland electrics
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:15:12 pm »

I've just picked up a pre-loved Smitty that's in darned good condition but that wants a bit of TLC as a winter project before I put her on the water. Mainly cosmetic, including a rename and a repaint to bring her into my fleet livery, and a few repairs here and there. I also want to give her a revamp under the hood.

Her running gear is a pair of 540's running on 6V, directly driving the 'as supplied' props. There's only one ESC, so I want to replace the electrics with a 4 channel rx/tx and two ESC's.

Any suggestions for what ESC's I should go for? Is it worth changing the perfectly OK motors for anything different, or running alternative motors on 12v, with reduction gear on the same props, perhaps.

Finally, I'm toying with the idea of a working towing winch, using the 'spare' radio channel. Thing that concerns me is that the winch is mounted on the removable deck with the superstructure. I have visions of the tug sailing off leaving the deck behind! Anyone fitted a winch on a Nederland, or towed with one? An if so, how did you do it?

Cheers
Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Smit Nederland electrics
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 08:11:45 am »

Andy
How big are the props e.g. 50mm x 4 blade, and would you want to split the two throttles between two sticks ("tank steering") or use a mixer? Also, would you anticipate using the model for competition towing or just to sail around the pond looking pretty?
FLJ

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 02:53:42 pm »

Props are 40mm, 3 blade. There's a bit more space inside the Korts, looks like the inside diameter is 50mm.

I'm going to go for twin stick steering, as that's what I'm used to with a 1:1 scale tug. As for towing, I'm not too worried about competition as such. Tug towing used to be popular at the club but died out. I'm now renovating the barges, two are quite small, but we do have a couple of five footers. I'd just like something to tow around the lake from time to time and perhaps get together with my son to drive one of my other tugs to do a bit of two tug operation.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 07:11:24 pm »

hi Andy . i got her big big sister the rotherdam. Since you said it has 40mm 3 blades i am assuming they are the billings boats ones. Since a tug needs power you can have the best motors in the world and still  run crap if you use poor props . The billings boats props are not the best in the world. If i was you i would fit some of Simon from prop shop props.I did it to the Rotterdam and the difference it made O0. Do this first then connect the motor to an amp meter try run her in water holding her Try 12v +6v battery this will give you a good idea of power +current draw , which will help you chose the correct ESC. As for ESc electroinze and mtroniks are good use both my self. For the motors i would wait and see how see performs on test as the 550 ant a bad motor. One to think about for direct drive is the graunper 720 torque or the protech 720 see electrics and electronics the a talk on motors there. Good luck with her
http://www.britnett.net/propshop/

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 09:19:51 am »

Hi Andrew
PM on its way
FLJ

Captain Povey

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 12:13:19 pm »

Hi Andy, I got some good advice from Cornwall Model boats when doing what you want to do. The guy has one himself and has a working winch. Although mine is just about complete I have yet to put it on the water. Cheers Graham

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 02:32:59 pm »

I had a Nederland last year and did the SWAMBC tug towing comp, I had the 540's in mine with no problem, although they do get very hot if worked hard, didn't seem to bother them though.
Prop wise,fitted 4 blade 50mm, one side was ok, the other the prop was just touching the nozzle, got a file and just took the edge's off 2 blades, i think, such a small amount it didn't affect the balance.  Must of been OK, won the championship last year !!.
It's a very good tug, except it doesn't like going backwards in a straight line.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.