Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working with etched brass parts  (Read 2555 times)

Glyn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Working with etched brass parts
« on: November 02, 2007, 08:08:50 am »

This has probably been covered elsewhere on the site, but I'm going to ask anyway!
What's the best method of assembling a multi part etched brass item, such as a radar aerial? Is it okay to use adhesives, such as cyano, or does one have to use solder - which sounds rather daunting!
All advice welcomed!
Many thanks, Glyn

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Working with etched brass parts
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 08:19:20 am »

Glynn
You could use cyano, but I've always been a bit suspicious of metal-metal joints when using that medium. Soldering is not as daunting as you might think, as long as you plan it and do it in stages and use either heat-sinks and/or different melting-point solders. You will need a temperature-controlled iron for these, but there are several in the Maplin catalogue which aren't as expensive as you might imagine. Squires are a good supplier of various solders and fluxes.
I have some spare brass etchings if you want a few to practise with. PM me if so.
FLJ

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 09:06:39 am »

Loctite do a super glue desigend to glue brass I came upon it when bought a all brass spitfire kit .Loctite496 but it is not cheap about £20 a very small bottle. and very hard to get hold of (well I found it hard to get) but it works.and if you don't like soldering its a way to go , but solder would probably be my first choice.look at Carr's products,used by a lot of model railway people.

Peter

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 10:53:27 am »

This one Peter?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 11:23:35 am »

Yep they recommend the glue

Peter

Glyn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 06:52:23 am »

Many thanks for the info, guys - seems like soldering's the best route, as I suspected! The Loctite 496 sounds a tad expensive, probably more so in our neck of the woods (South Africa) - if it's available here at all.
Thank you FLJ for the kind offer of scrap parts to practise on - unfortunately, living outside the UK, I don't think it would really be practical from a postage point of view!
Re the soldering iron, I'll see what I can source locally, as well as the various solders.
By the way, that's an impressive Spitfire!
Best wishes, Glyn

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.