Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners build ideas  (Read 2255 times)

Abandon Ship

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Beginners build ideas
« on: August 28, 2022, 03:13:17 am »

Hi Beginners,
I'm one of you, new to boat building.

I recently came across this web site ([size=78%]http://eezebilt.tk/[/size])with old (and less old) cheap build plans. Basic semi-scale plans based on kits from 50+ years ago.
They're designed to be cheap and easy to build rather than accurate scale, so good for first scratch build or kids.

Hi Administrators, hope it's OK to provide link. I can't see any copyright issue.

http://eezebilt.tk/

RST

Re: Beginners build ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 08:04:22 am »

Hi, there's no problems with links to anything.  If you look, I think you'll find a rather good ongoing build of an OSA 1 boat from these plans on modelboats magazine forum.  Otherwise I think many of us recognise these kits / designs fondly of yesteryear.  Are you looking to build from one?

Rich

Abandon Ship

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 11:36:07 am »

Yes, the RAF Tender scaled up slightly to 1:24 (about 23"). Once I've had some practice on builds like this I want to have a crack at the Vic Smeed RTTL, so I decided to keep to the same scale

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 03:58:43 pm »

Yes, the site was generated by one "Dodgy Geezer" to try to resurrect the work of Eddie Keil to prove to kiddies their was/is more to lifes enjoyment than the playstation that didn't rupture daddies bank account. He used to be a regular contributor to this forum but now is to be found  R/C groups site with a Vintage thread. He has also generated the 'Vintage model boat kits' site.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Rich griff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 09:06:04 am »

Vic smeed "sea rider" X 1.5, fits in household bath for balasting, easy to make and fit out, simple 2 channel, very stable and dry boat that looks good on the water. Lots of room inside for stuff like navy lights, rotating radar, depth charges etc. etc. etc....

Other basic boat free plans in mags etc...

HMS romper free plan is slightly more "involved" needing thought for "deck seal" and more detail, but looks great on the water, x1.5 scale.

I made mine from materials liberated from a skip.

Want one ( sea rider or romper ) ? , complete, just add batteries...?

Ideal first venture in boat making/using...

Enjoy.

Abandon Ship

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 08:16:53 pm »

Hi Rich, Trying to have a bit of fun building, so ready built is sort of skipping the fun...

RST

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 11:21:40 pm »

Hi,

For beginners I make no apology for keeping on saying to pick up a good book!  The authors are well respected and do not get to publish anything that's not right.

Glynn Guest is a well respected designer and I picked up a copy of this book from him not so long ago to remind me what it's ultimately all about...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5625173-small-radio-control-boats

...I couldn't put my finger on it a few mins ago to check, but I'm sure a copy of that saves you many £££ on the equivalent magazine purchases detailing the builds and plans within.  I apologised to Glynn after I got mine as it was from eBay and he would have got no commission from it -but it wasn't expensive to have as a reference and worth every few pennies each page cost.

I also found this summary article on Model Boats website today I hadn't seen before -shows how good a job you can make of those simple plans you mentioned first if you've not been through the build blogs...

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/your-models--us-pt-boat-and-osa-1-missile-boat/27702

Hope this is of interest,

Rich

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 09:28:19 am »

Hi there

there are a couple of builds which I did on this Forum in the Master Class section which are suitable for beginners.   One is from the late great
Dave Milbourn - the Swordsman build - and the other one is from Glynn Guest which is an MTB.   I myself am currently doing one of Glynn's plans which is the Elco it's an American MTB.   The plans themselves are very basic and easy to follow.   I have added a bit more detail on the one I am doing.

If you have a look in the Model Boats magazines, which are often found on Ebay - there are a lot of easy to build plans available.

As far as the RTTL is concerned, there are several excellent builds on this forum which are straight from the plans by Vic Smeed.   One which I did which is more true to the scale than Vic's.

An in-depth build of a GLYNN GUEST plan, for the beginner (modelboatmayhem.co.uk)

THE FAIREY SWORDSMAN - A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird (modelboatmayhem.co.uk)
R.T.T.L. 2751 (modelboatmayhem.co.uk)

Happy Modelling.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2022, 10:30:56 am »

I normally try to avoid commenting on threads which contain any reference to me but John W E's Elco PT boat is a nice looking model.
However, I have to say that the plan (published in the Nov 1999 issue of Model Boats) is seriously flawed. My original pencil draft of the plans for this model was drawn up on two sheets.  One was the usual side, plan views along with scale details, on the other side were all the parts drawn out separately with assembly sketches.  The then editor passed these plans over to a draughtsperson who clearly felt he knew better than the designer and builder of the original plans and altered them to squeeze everything onto one side of the plan sheet.  This person was clearly happier with models built with using moulded (plastic or GRP) hulls and as a result, if the published plans are followed, the deck will be too wide.  The original drawings also made the keel much clearer rather than being buried into the hull side view.
When Paul Freshney became editor, he adopted the practice of letting me see the redrawn plans before they whet to the publishers. I have to say that the draughtsman currently employed is very, very good.  Any small mistakes are usually down to me and easily corrected!
Glynn Gust 

paulhakits

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2022, 09:36:06 am »

Hi.  HAKits produce a range of easy to build boat kits for beginners.

The latest Kit is the Aylsham Norfolk broads type boat. (20" long £42)
I have over 50 years of modelling experience which I bring to my kits. I remember competing against Glynn in MPBA steering and docking completions way back in 70s ok2 [size=78%]  [/size]
[size=78%]www.hakits.co.uk[/size]

RST

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 01:44:04 am »

Glad to see Paul at HA kits chip-in here!  I only built one of his kits so far -the smaller pilot boat (I haven't started his Christine II yet).  I would say for the offerings it went together well save for a couple of parts that looked like slipped in the cutting but they were easy fixes and feedback was provided at the time.  I thought they were good as a start then my choice to add my own detail.  I attach an old pic now but I've not worked on it since first sail -just realised it needs the portholes fitted that I found in a random box of parts  last week "box marked reserved for some models"!  I haven't found the wipwers I did for the front windows yet.  I need to tidy up the tyre fenders etc. as they never hung right but you get the idea.  But the basic kit was a very good starting point.

Don't get me wrong though -doing everything from scratch is admirable.  I started off just making things from scrap and had allot of joyment out of it.  We never played "Monopoly" or "Cleudo" since the boxes got cut-up for parts for a new model!  I don't think my parents ever forgave me for that!

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.