Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on brush painting and masking  (Read 650 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Advice on brush painting and masking
« on: September 01, 2022, 03:50:23 pm »

Hi

As regards my Fairey builds I've now decided to brush paint them rather than spray them and have bought the good quality International Yacht Paints Toplac Plus and One UP primer/undercoats.

As is common with Faireys I will be painting in blue and white with some hulls having blue sides and white bottom and vice versa.

I know with spray painting that you should remove the masking tape (I shall be using Tamiya) when the final coat is still soft but what about the paint I'm using which can take hours to dry and given this should I remask after each coat?

Also how do I deal with the junction of the white and blue? For most of the hull length the waterline is along the underside of the chine rail so no problem, but with some hulls the chine rail curves up to the bow and the waterline carrys straight on.

I shall apply the white first and don't mind the blue overlapping it i.e. when the sides are blue but not so keen when the bottom is blue and there will be a step. I guess it's pretty much impossible to butt the blue and white?

Am I over thinking this step and not worry about it?

Chris

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Advice on brush painting and masking
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 04:37:36 pm »

Hiya Chris, this is how I did the waterline on my huntsman

used tamiya 6mm masking tape, making sure to push the tape right into the crevice. Also, because the tape changes direction when going over the "crest", I snip the tape at an angle, place the next piece and so on. It's a bit fiddly but worth the effort
[/size]
[/size]Aye,
[/size]Ray.
[/size]
[/size]Copied from my build log :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.