Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canal boat plans  (Read 849 times)

Jezz2258

• Shipmate
  • its the small things that count
Canal boat plans
« on: September 01, 2022, 08:59:04 pm »

Looking for canal boat plans. The bigger the boat the better,
Holliday type boat not working boats.
Point me in the right direction please.

RST

Re: Canal boat plans
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 02:06:59 am »

Hi,

There's quite allot of usable drawings I found on googling just your request as it is but can you expand a little more on what you mean by "bigger"?  Did you already find this on Model Boats forum and Sarik website but wasn't "big" enough  -it could easily be made wider and or longer to suit?

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/mm2117-invictus-of-allington/

From a 30s google search is this the kind of thing you want to avoid?  I'm sure there's another manufacturer but can't put my finger on it just now.

https://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/products_id/330th9

...If you can provide a little more info perhaps someone can guide you more otherwise please excuse my offerings from a very quick search.

Rich

PS: I have not built a canal barge / narrowboat from scratch yet although one boat is on the list to do.  But many years ago I worked for a guy who ran a Pub who operated 3 boats -2 restaurant barges and I took his old R/C model of one of them that must have been about 4-5' long as we struggled to fit it in the car and refurbished it and got it sailing again.  It handled like a pig -but then the same barge did in real-life!

Jezz2258

• Shipmate
  • its the small things that count
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 05:55:04 am »

Hi rst
Yes the sarik model looks ok. I didn't want to make it bigger just in case it would effect the scale in looking for figures although dolls house figures are about 1/12 scale.

I suppose the handling would come down to the flat bottom aspect.

Wood Ray

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 06:24:10 am »

Invictus of Allington is 3/4" to the foot scale, it's one of my designs from a set of full Size plans , the prototype model is currently for sale in the Chatham Rock hard model shop 😃😃

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 08:01:03 am »

Hi rst
Yes the sarik model looks ok. I didn't want to make it bigger just in case it would effect the scale in looking for figures although dolls house figures are about 1/12 scale.

No personal experience of a canal boat model build but I suspect the most important aspect is getting the scale speed right (prop and motor selection)  but more importantly getting the drive silent . The box shape of the hull will amplify any drive noise . Perhaps use a belt drive reduction system. Seek advice on this from those in the know if the plans do not come with suitable recommendations
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 09:24:50 am »

1/6 scale figures are widely popular, my brother collects those.
At that scale the model could even have working hot water in the galley!
Let's see, an 80ft narrowboat at 1/6 scale would have a length of ...
And ... a 1/6 scale weed hatch sure would be easier to reach down to unwrap bags and umbrellas from your prop.

On a practical note: a few of the narrowboaters I follow on YouTube have bow thrusters on their boats.
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

RST

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 07:53:23 am »

Hi rst

Shallow vee-bottom for my experience actually.  Handling comes down to windage pretty much along the full length, very large L/B ratio but nt much draught, a relatively small power plant and prop positioned right at the stern, for full and small-scale aike.

If I recall the wheel on the full-size boat had a notoriously ridiculous number of turns lock-to-lock.  I remember the skipper (John I think) was constanty spinning it side-to-side but he could also turn the boat on a  sixpence when needed if he read the wind right.  I have vague memories helping a strip-down of the engine bay in the real-thing -pretty sure it was Ford 4cyl.  Could it have been a "Mermaid" engine?  It was almost 30 years ago now so I'm forgetting!

I used to have a licence to pilot passengers on a flat bottomed replica steam packet boat with a single cylinder lister engine.  When we did our test for it myself and a friend were so familiar with it by then we could read the wind, put her in almost any position to advantage, turnon the spot, little steerage aft but we knew exactly how to take advantage of the prop-walk.  We could usually berth it on a "handbrake turn" without blinking whereas allot of folk who didn't sail her regularly struggled to keep it in a straight line at best of times sometimes.  That said, I did once bash it at almost full speed into some brand new very expensive sandstone capping stones at the edge of the basin one day when I couldn't get her in/out of gear and she wouldn't turn either unless on full throttle.  Very embarrasing carrying passengers and hitting it with a massive BANG!  Of course the gearbox and hydraulic steering came back to life as soon as I berthed it and it was all checked out!  She always did have little gremlins that came out from nowhere sometimes!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.