Mess Deck: General Section > Tugs and Towing

Zwarte Zee 592 Build

(1/16) > >>

Phil22:
Hi MBM,

A second project arrived last week, a Billing Boats Zwarte Zee (Black Sea) BB592. I've added some info about the kit in 'what's in the box?'

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,68612.0.html

Making our Banckert was a great learning experience and having looked around at models from other brands, I circled back to Billing's as there's familiarity with what to expect. Another ABS hull was a must, living in an apartment block with sensitive neighbours, the hammering required for trying a POF hull wouldn't go down well. That's one thing to look forward to doing down the line when I eventually have a shed, and a garden for that matter. =)

For the walk to the local lake, I originally wanted something similar in size or smaller than the Banckert (65cm) but the lines of the ZZ gripped me. It's a magnificent looking shape.

Source: https://www.wssrotterdam.nl/nieuwsbrief/Zwarte%20Zee/ZWARTE%20ZEE%20NLD-33%20DEEL%206%20%2B%20ZWARTE%20ZEE%20NLD-63.pdf

This time around I'm taking care to keep the laser cut ply in a more intact state. If any replacement parts are needed they should act as good templates. All ply sheets have been photocopied for backup.

Made a start too on getting some of the electronics together.

Again, I'll document the building process and will appreciate any input and guidance along the way.

Thanks for looking.
Phil

Capt Podge:
Hi Phil, thanks for putting this one up and hope all goes well with your build  :-))

Ray.

Martin (Admin):

A venerable kit.... be interesting to see how it actually goes together.   :-))

Alan52:
Hi Phil

Looking forward to the build. Always remember the Zwarte Zee as Plank on frame. Nice to see they have updated the kit :-)) :-))

JimG:

--- Quote from: Phil22 on September 03, 2022, 01:00:27 pm ---Hi MBM,

Another ABS hull was a must, living in an apartment block with sensitive neighbours, the hammering required for trying a POF hull wouldn't go down well. That's one thing to look forward to doing down the line when I eventually have a shed, and a garden for that matter. =)

--- End quote ---
Unless you are building to a rather large scale there is very little hammering needed for plank on frame. In most cases the sizes of wood used allows any pins to be pushed in without the need of a hammer. I generally don't use the provided brass pins just using glue and normal sewing pins to fit the planks, if you can use clamps then they can be better as they don't leave holes in the wood.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version