Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A bit on the top heavy side?  (Read 2743 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
A bit on the top heavy side?
« on: September 03, 2022, 06:27:41 pm »

Hi,This is what's become of the 1/48 PCS "kit" I bought from Stan R so far. It's quite apparent that there's a lot of stuff up top so I built as light as poss and replaced a number of the heavy resin figures with balsa/plasticard so hopefully I can get a fair sized lump of lead, along with a 7 cell stick NiMh along the keel and maybe it won't fall over too easily %) Plenty of fiddly bits to finish but..................
Tony

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: A bit on the top heavy side?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 06:56:35 pm »

You’ve done a fantastic job, she looks brilliant.  :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 08:02:29 pm »

Wow! What a fantastic job you've done on her Tony - stacks of details showing - well done to date.  :-))

Ray.

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 11:32:12 pm »

Even with some finishing to do yet, she's looking ready to be "Haze grey and underway".  :-))
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 02:47:56 am »

Yes, she looks really so good as a scale model, the rest you do to complete her I think is to secure a good sailing characteristic especially suitable for her appearance on the water. ! :-))
I wish to see her sailing on the water in a good mood in the very near future.!!!! %% If possible, by the video, please!!!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 11:03:18 am »

Detail is excellent Tony :-)) .....I know the 40/60 Bofor well, but what are the two sets x 4 :o  weapons aside the anchor windlass? ...... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 12:44:41 pm »

Many thanks for the comments gentlemen. I'm quite relieved since I've got to live up to Stan  ok2 . Frankly I'm relieved to be back in my comfort zone after the "interesting" foray into powerboats!
Cheers, Tony

Derek,
Mousetrap rocket projector with four rails. This weapon was originally classified as a Rocket Launcher and retained its original Mark number when reclassified as an ASW projector. This weapon was developed to take the place of Hedgehog for smaller ships such as patrol craft which could not withstand the recoil forces generated by that weapon.
An 85 lbs. (39 kg) projectile was originally used, but this was too heavy to man-handle in rough seas. The warhead was changed to the lighter one of the Hedgehog (see above), which had the added benefit of simplifying logistics.
The mountings were usually fitted in pairs and could not be compensated for rolling. Launcher had a fixed elevation of 48 degrees. Not considered to be as effective as Hedgehog, but did give those smaller ships an ahead-firing weapon.
Projectiles were 7.2 inches (18.3 cm) in diameter and weighed 65 lbs. (29.5 kg) with an explosive charge of 31 lbs. (14.1 kg) of TNT. Torpex warheads added about 2.5 lbs. (1.1 kg) to the overall weight. Total length was 38.6 inches (98 cm). Unlike the Hedgehog missile projectiles, this projectile was classified by the USN as a rocket as it uses a sustainer propellant that burned for 0.2 to 0.7 seconds.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 01:21:51 am »

At 1/48 scale, I would suggest that you ditch the NiMH battery and go with a seal lead acid battery. Not only do you get the weight, in multiple forms if needed, but you get enhanced running times as well.BTY, a beautiful looking build. :}

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 08:16:11 am »

Hi another option is to use lead flashing and lay it under the NiMh battery.  Most builders have some for scrap as when doing its job keeping the rain out on the roof it develops pin holes and needs replacing.  So always some scrap around.  C

regards
Roy

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 09:45:32 am »

Another possibility to get low down weight is an under slung weight mounted on removable stems below the keel.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 10:04:09 am »

Hi, I planned for the single stick NiMh because the hull is quite narrow and the angles at the keel are steeper than, for example, a Flower, so the battery sort of slots in along the "furrow". I can then juggle the fore/aft position and adjust with the 0.5-0.7 kg of lead flashing needed to bring her up to true max displacement. Once it's all in place I hope I won't have to go outside.
Just as a random question chaps, have you ever come across this sort of doubt!
I've just bought a pack of 100 Chinese '0' gauge figures to butcher for crew on Amazon for under £9.00. They look good, Humbrol liquid weld works well on the plastic and the height of the male figures comes in at 38mm which at 1/48 is 1.83m or 6ft in old money. So, spot on BUT THEY DON'T LOOK RIGHT!!!!!!!
I can't put my finger on any reason.
In some locations, next to railings or doors, for instance, they're fine but in some other spots they just stick out.

I intend to carry on with the abattoir work anyway and see whether the uniform "maketh the man" but............. {:-{
Tony

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 11:33:35 am »

Hi they be just too well dressed or maybe shiny?
regardsRoy

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 09:15:25 pm »

Tony looking forward to her maiden voyage great model hope your crew  good after there adjustment,  a model looks complete with deck crew well done buddy , lots of great detail  tassie48

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2022, 02:20:07 pm »

Hi Gregg, thanks for the comment. I live in hope but the fittings get smaller and my fingers get fatter! %%

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2022, 05:08:32 pm »

OK, it's tighter than I'd hoped. Now all but the last bits of stanchions and wire/string etc to go on and I can balance out with about 200 grammes of lead only towards the stern. Tried her on my local water i.e.fishpond and she leaned a touch but that's not insurmountable. I don't want to mess about with the plan waterline because even though I'm a bit suspicious of where it's drawn it looks about right, so I'll finish off, put her back in the water and see just how tender she is. :D
PS. It'll be interesting to see how Dom gets on with Calypso at a slightly larger scale.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 06:04:02 pm »

pictures of the crew
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 07:31:58 pm »

pictures of the crew
Patience! I've 7 ready for painting but elective surgery to be completed on others so waiting times are extended due to shortages! %)

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 08:09:17 pm »

but elective surgery to be completed on others so waiting times are extended due to shortages! %)
Right arms and left brains on backorder again?
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 08:37:15 pm »

Right arms and left brains on backorder again?
Oh, that it were so simple! I've had 50 left arms, 50 right arms, 50 left legs, 50 right legs and 50 bodies to make probably 2 awficers, 1chief and 9 or 10 seamen in appropriate nautical poses. Luckily I don't have to worry about the "lady" figures in the pack! %%

Aerodecked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 08:59:39 pm »

I don't want to mess about with the plan waterline because even though I'm a bit suspicious of where it's drawn it looks about right, so I'll finish off, put her back in the water and see just how tender she is. :D
Lovely job on her! Liking the detail.

Looking at this pic, I think you are right about the waterline - it could be higher which will give you more wiggle room on weight.
[size=78%]http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/1207141302.jpg[/size]

tassie48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2022, 11:55:59 pm »

I got a set of plans today thanks buddy much appreciated just needs to be enlarged by 200 percent for 1/24  scale and away we go , still awaiting the main 48 scale plans for frames etc,   currently filling out the build book measure every thing to cross reference,  i have a 3 inch 50 cal on order ,four oerlikion 20mm ,a 40 mm bofors, two depth charge throwers, two racks port and stb and two stern depth charge racks,  12 ft dinghy , waiting on flags from Mike Allsop quote ,  two 50 mm 4 blade ww2 props on order along with a mk22 mouse trap on order so I can scale one up in brass etch , interesting first attempt at brass etching going with Mobile Marine Models T12 motors 6 mm shafts to 5mm drive shafts .tassie48

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2022, 11:59:46 am »

Lovely job on her! Liking the detail.

Looking at this pic, I think you are right about the waterline - it could be higher which will give you more wiggle room on weight.
[size=78%]http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/1207141302.jpg[/size]
Thanks Aerodecked but is she riding light {:-{

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2022, 06:01:06 pm »

At long last the PCS is 99% complete. There's a bit of minor touching up and I'm waiting for the 40mm clips from Shapeways but she's now got crew to which I'll add a couple once I've sorted the radical surgery. She lies level in the bath, albeit about 3mm deep but I'm happy to accept that.

tassie48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 10:14:08 pm »

TonyH looking good buddy crew look great tons of detail my 1/24 scale frames are being laser cut out the keel is made and the build board bolted down to the bench ready for a enjoyable build I have been working on water tank ballast system to help bring her to her marks three tanks four pumps one is for trimming her up glad your one is finished  , be good to see any onwater photos or video of her tassie48

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2023, 07:53:48 pm »

Hi Gregg, it's been a bit too 'orrible up here for sailing her but soon! I'm looking forward to watching your build of her big brother over 2023. I'm sure you'll post everything on a full colour log for close inspection :-)) Cheers
Tony
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.