Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caldercraft Joffre Tyne Tug  (Read 994 times)

Snapper27

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Caldercraft Joffre Tyne Tug
« on: September 08, 2022, 06:50:17 pm »

Hi guys, looking for some desperate help here.

I just bought a 'Vintage' Joffre kit from an auction dealer. sight unseen, no returns etc.
Now I have received the kit, it is obvious it was badly stored and has parts missing.
It seems that all the white metal castings are here, still afixed to the vacuum sealed cards along with many bundles of wood, some in bags, others not.
I also need to know the length of the (M4) propshaft and diameter of the prop.

I'm looking for help with the missing instruction book and list of parts that I assume it hade once upon a time?
I have the plan sheet, which I can stick back together and some loose sheets with Diagram letters A to X, nothing else

Has anyone got a copy of the missing parts?
I'm willing to pay for either copies or PDF Scans so I can move on.

The big plan is to get her assembled (having straightened the hull) and running with a Cheddar Pintail horizontal steam plant

RST

Re: Caldercraft Joffre Tyne Tug
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 10:58:04 pm »

Hi,

I have no experience directly but I googled some builds and the propeller size should be able to be gauged from the clearance around the rudder post.  Did I read it was a 40mm diameter prop somewhere?

For instructions, this document comes top of the list on google which you no-doubt already found (it's for a steam plant though).  Given it shows the size of a regular HUCO type coupler(s) I think some dimensions might be scaleable off the pic in the absence of something exactly written:

https://d31wxntiwn0x96.cloudfront.net/thgfgg/media/Joffre_Steam_Plant_Assembly_Instructions_Oz.pdf

...otherwise have you tried Jotika?  If you still struggle there seems to be a few good pictures from google, such as the link here:

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=41668.0

Not sure if that helps you but might be a running start,

Rich

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 09:22:19 am »

Not a lot of help but maybe some ideas and inspiration. This one actually sank one day so was refurbished and repainted in an RN scheme.

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Snapper27

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 11:51:55 am »

Thanks Rich, I have been in contact with John at JoTika and he is sorting a new plan set and instructions for me. It seems my thoughts on the age of this kit was correct at about 1984 as its all early dyeline!

The new printed plans cover the original version and have all the details of the very latest laser cut kit stuff and amendments.
Also 95%+ of the parts are still available from him as they are still kitting out boxes, So, I have options as to using laser cut or die-cut parts, but can't mix too freely.

Fortunately I have 'I think', all the white metal castings, still on the original Caldercraft cards. Really good quality ones unlike most of the newer castings that have been made from the more recent moulds.

Hurry up postie!

Snapper27

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 11:58:16 am »

Thanks for the photos Bunkerbarge,
I have collected some from an Australian site too. All very helpful stuff.

Snapper27

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 12:41:22 pm »

White metal castings on sealed cards! :-))

Snapper27

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 08:00:50 pm »

I now have a full kit after purchasing a new one. This has all the extra details for using JoTika's laser and CNC parts. This will make it much easier to achieve a decent looking tug.

I'm currently working on getting a Cheddar steam plant refurbished. I'm still waiting on a couple of bits of copper tubing and some new fittings to replace the 25 year old corroded bits, but getting there, slowly.

Nothing to show as yet, but I will post some pics soon. Once I have worked out how to... Totally failed so far!

Snapper27

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 08:47:39 pm »

Test posting image2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.