Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flag convention?  (Read 799 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Flag convention?
« on: September 12, 2022, 06:25:53 pm »

My current US PCS build has 5 hoist pulleys on the yardarm, 3 to port of the mast and 2 to starboard. These will carry the Stars and Stripes and a run of signal flags. Is there a convention where some go to starboard and some to port or is it whatever suits? It would be nice to know any rules before I start tying knots.
CheersTony

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Flag convention?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 08:11:43 pm »

I'm not sure but you would probably get an answer on the steelnavy.net message board - lots of USN experts & navy veterans there.
Also might be something on the HNSA website references
Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 03:28:03 pm »

Thanks for that James,
Of course, I'd forgotten and only noticed when I went down to the shed earlier, that the Stars & Stripes was hung from a gaff, lifting it above the rest of the hoists on the yard. This still leaves the question of whether there is a particular structure to the rest. I use HNSA and Navsource a lot and HNSA has a whole screed on when to fly particular 'honors' etc. along with gun salutes, foreign dignitaries etc., religious services etc. but I've decided to follow what simple evidence I have from photos where, when single flags only are showing, they seem to start at the outermost starboard point. Whether this is the rule or not.............. %)
Tony
 PS You're building a beautifully crisp model of HMS Onslow. How much patience you must have on the 'fiddly' bits.
T

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 08:08:46 pm »

Thanks Tony I'm glad you have posted some photos of your build - great work! Really interesting ships which I had no knowledge of before.

Interesting regarding the flags in photos - on my build of Suffolk I just used what I could see in one aerial photo. Later found out that the flag meant 'aeroplane' so I guess she was signalling to the seaplane that took the photo!
Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 09:27:03 am »

Tony hi buddy I run the same set of flags on all my models  the same so on the port out side 24 =scale  close to mast 1386= hull number or signal flags then on std side gm= owner builder I dress my models with flags main battle flag US from truck of mast and a smaller flag on the jack staff aft make sure that they are period 48 stars on US ensign in ww2  or a signal set of flags on the halyards tassie48

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 11:43:46 am »

It would seem that the unit the signal is intended for goes on the outermost starboard halyard and I've assumed therefore that the message hoist could go next inwards. The identification hoist for PCS1413 is 4 flags NTTV so it's unlikely that the start of the text would go on the same run. I'll keep hunting for clarification but in the meanwhile, gentlemen, you may wish to google ntp13B which is a pdf file that should give you 106 pages of light reading!  :D

Gregg, the ident code for 1386 is NTPP
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.