Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oakley Lifeboat - RNLB Sir James Knott 37-08  (Read 1069 times)

lukepicknett

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Oakley Lifeboat - RNLB Sir James Knott 37-08
« on: September 21, 2022, 03:44:17 pm »

Hi all, I have decided to create a new thread for an RNLI model, this one being a 37 foot Oakley, the RNLB Sir James Knott, ex Redcar Lifeboat. This will be my very first attempt at building a model and being only 26 I do not posses years and years of experience in this field however my day job is a mechanical fitter, so with some patience and care I think I can make a good go of it!

Choosing an Oakley was an easy choice for me, Not only being my favourite class of boat it was the boat at my station. I have a small collection of model lifeboats already however my current ones are all static and are a fibreglass hull. For this build I wanted a challenge so opted for the frame and double diagonal planking.

After looking at some builds on the forum and various Facebook pages I went ahead and got the drawings copied and the first lot of timber ordered.

I this build in June 2022 but decided on creating this thread September so the first few posts will be backdated.

JoJoElbe

• kind of lifeboat nerd .... just kind of ...
  • Full Mayhemer
    • modellwerft.spuelsaum.de (german + engl summarys)
Re: Oakley Lifeboat - RNLB Sir James Knott 37-08
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 05:38:25 pm »

Hi,don't worry and if you have problems or questions, always ask.  That's what helped me over so many problems. I'm more than double of you age bust just started Sept. 2016 with model boats.

For this build I wanted a challenge so opted for the frame and double diagonal planking.
There is a fantastic series of videos called 'Fred and George'  about a restauration of a double diagonal planked lifeboat. Even though it's 1:1 you may learn a lot about how to deal with varous things.  And if not then it's just a bunch fantastic movies and a wonderfull George.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfot0MLwn9o
Looking forward to your build,best regards,Joerg
Actual: Tyne class + boathouse + slipway
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

lukepicknett

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 12:56:36 pm »

Thankyou I will check it out.

Question for all, How do I add photos into this thread as I keep getting error messages.

Thanks

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 01:56:46 pm »

Hi, if nothing works you can use the "Attachments and other options" below the post.I'm also not patient enough to get it in on other ways. J
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

lukepicknett

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 02:52:46 pm »

Still not allowing me to attach images. Any other suggestions people ?

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 03:06:07 pm »

Hi,
what about the restrictions:
Attachments and other options:
"Allowed file types: txt, jpg, gif, pdf, PNG, JPG, img, jpeg, stl
 Restrictions: 10 per post, maximum total size 10000KB, maximum individual size 5000KB"
I tried 12MB but then the full reply disappeared without notice after pressing the post button.
The attached now has about 1MB only.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.