Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MMM Gribben Head  (Read 4759 times)

ruffair

MMM Gribben Head
« on: June 13, 2006, 09:53:30 pm »

HI

Just wondered if there was anyone out there who has built the Gribben Head and can provide information about motor, rudder servo and other gear positions?

Thanks for the help.

modeliggy

• Shipmate
Re: MMM Gribben Head
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 07:06:09 pm »

Hi,

I take it you are meaning the Tug Gribben Head , hull by Mobile marine. I have built this and used a car windscreen motor driving a 70mm 4 bladed brass prop which produces a lot of torque. the motor is mounted midships, the battery is a 12v 7amp/hr gel cell mounted under the wheelhouse. rudder servo and radio gear are mounted under hatch on rear deck, linkage by a long piano wire and quick link connection. model sails well with this set up. Hope this helps. I will try to take some photos of the  set up.

Ian

ruffair

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 08:41:30 am »

Thanks, that would be great if you could.  I'm puzzleing over one or two things at the moment and some photos of a completed model woud really help.  Don't know why Mobile Marine don't do it.

modeliggy

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:23:45 pm »

Hi, Sorry for long delay with photos but major building work in house has meant no access to model boats for some time, now managed to get some photos hope they help. By the way if you are using Mobile Marine templates don't rely 100% on their accuracy, I found a lot of dimensions were well out but they still produce a good quality hull.

Cheers,

Ian

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 10:30:03 pm »

Hi ruffair,

I have just got hold of a scond hand Gribben Head tug which requires a complete rebuild from under the deck upwards. ( as it was made in a more freelance style based on a modern deisel tug )

MMM have supplied me with a plan and a seperately priced sheet of photo's at ?1.50 I think it was, so I assume you should be able to do the same if you contacted them. I have not seen them yet though, as they were collected on my behalf from the dome last week, and I won't see them till ?Saturday.

When I get them I'll let you know I they will be suitable to you.

Just did a quick search and found a couple of sites which mention a few of this class of tug.
Bob

As if by magic pictures have appeared while I was posting!!!

modeliggy

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 10:39:53 pm »

Here are a couple more photos.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

ruffair

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 09:06:24 pm »

Ian

Thanks for the photo's.  They'll give me a good idea of where things go. 

Many thanks

Ron

ancient mariner

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 11:29:01 am »

Hi

just joined mayhem, how did you get on with the gribbin head did you ever finish it.  I got best in show with mine at the mpba national scale finals at wicksteed in 2005. if you need any help i will do my best to help

ruffair

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 01:02:23 pm »

Hi AM

She's coming on quite well thanks.  The hull is finished with the exception of putting on all the White metal bits.  I'm currently working on the superstructure. 

I might even get it finished for Christmas!  (or maybe just after as I have Christmas week off work)

Cheers

Ron

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 08:24:26 pm »

A good idea when you first get a hull is to drop the motor and batteries in loose to make sure your vessel will float on its 'marks'. Most tug hulls have plenty of buoyancy and you end up trimming with lead anyway. The main thing  is to get as much battery capacity in as possible. With a single screw tug you can usually get the motor in with two batteries one each side, these can be 6 or 12 volt rigged in series or parallel to provide the required voltage. You can then fit the electric bits under the wheelhouse where you have plenty of room. Keep the prop shafts as short as possible to give plenty of space forward. I have a Mobile Marine Models Nangee with single bosch motor, two 12volt 3.5amp/hr batteries either side of the motor, a JJc smoke unit fits in front of the motor, esc etc forward on a board raised of the bottom of the boat. A JJC sound system is also fitted with the 10cm speaker in the accomadation. And a windscreen washer motor aft to feed the fire monitors. She still has about 6 ozs of lead for trim.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

Bradley

MMM 'Gribbin Head'.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 10:47:37 pm »

I intend collecting a 'Gribbin Head' from MMM on my way back from North Yorkshire (God's Country :angel:) after visiting the Harrogate Show.  Can anyone advise me about whether to use MMM's motors or any other useful information, please.
Derek B.  :) :police:

Bradley

Re: MMM 'Gribbin Head'.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 09:57:31 pm »

Well, the 'Gribbin Head' ('Ingleby Cross') was collected and, at the moment, sits in the kitchen whilst I study the template pack, etc., and all of the photos I have collected - many from Mayhem members (many thanks guys).  I am going along the route of another Mayhem member and fitting a kort nozzle, which will be something new for me, so will have to see how it goes but I understand that with a kort nozzle and a 50mm prop it will have much more power than the standard 75mm prop and rudder.
Derek.  :police:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.